Windows 10 home button does not work

Surpuppa

I have no idea how it happened, but my windows home button or the search button on my taskbar (the low black bar, dont know exactly what it is called) does not work. I click on them but nothing happens. I can use all of my programs on my taskbar (again, is this the correct name?) but those two buttons does not work somehow. Please help me, it is really irritating

Its called a task bar. Run this in admin command prompt. DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

If it fails, you will probably have to do a clean install. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 minute ago, Surpuppa said:

I have no idea how it happened, but my windows home button or the search button on my taskbar (the low black bar, dont know exactly what it is called) does not work. I click on them but nothing happens. I can use all of my programs on my taskbar (again, is this the correct name?) but those two buttons does not work somehow. Please help me, it is really irritating

its a common fault with windows 10, every system i have updated to it does exactly the same thing.

basically until microsoft fixes it there isnt much you can do. Linus ranted about it in the latest WAN show and i agree with him fully as its an annoyance people should have to do without.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world 
These are the pale deaths 
Which men miscall their lives 
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer 
Cannot the kingdom of salvation 
Take me home

"Powershell command to reregister packages

A forth fix I found came directly from Microsoft Partner support:

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard.
  2. Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.
  3. Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Now paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
  5. Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
  6. When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working."

this worked for me, so u can give it a try

1 minute ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Its called a task bar. Run this in admin command prompt. DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

If it fails, you will probably have to do a clean install. 

Exactly how do I do that? I have no clue

4 minutes ago, Surpuppa said:

Exactly how do I do that? I have no clue

Windows Start + X. Choose command prompt (admin). Type that command in. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

6 minutes ago, kirbssss said:

"Powershell command to reregister packages

A forth fix I found came directly from Microsoft Partner support:

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard.
  2. Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.
  3. Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Now paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
  5. Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
  6. When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working."

this worked for me, so u can give it a try

There is nothing called "start" to press

start-key.gif

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, BiscuitMassacre said:

start-key.gif

..., I know that... But how do I get to command prompt from there?

site meant to click the home/start button but that worked for me.

Just now, Surpuppa said:

..., I know that... But how do I get to command prompt from there?

You hold that button down and x at the same time. It will then pop up a grey window, and you select command prompt (admin).

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

5 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

You hold that button down and x at the same time. It will then pop up a grey window, and you select command prompt (admin).

Using-Windows-10-System-Protection-Menu.

Where here shall I click?

Ok, first thing first:

1- Restart your computer. Does the Start button work now?

2- Go install the latest graphics card drivers. If you have an Nvidia GPU, click on Advanced, in the setup, and uncheck everything, except the graphics card driver (of course), Audio driver of the graphics card, and PhysX. Also check the box to do a clean install. Let it do its things. Your computer will restart during this process, and once back in, it will resume the setup soon after you are logged back in. Once all done, restart your system once more. If you have an AMD graphics solution, then I don't know how it is, but do the similar thing.

Does the Start button works now? If not, click multiple times in a row on it, and wait around 5sec, does it show up now?

4- If you have SLI/Crossfire, remove the extra card, and stay with 1. Is your problem solved? What about using just the Intel integrated graphics if you are using an Intel CPU.

3- Did you install any software since this issue? It could be one of the software you used that corrupted the Start Menu. Windows feature the ability to take your system back in time without affecting your personal data. It is called System Restore. Use System Restore (Win+X > System > System protection (left column), and click on "System Restore" button. Backup your stuff before, if you don't do backups. While it should not affect anything, you don't want bad luck coming and fail your HDD/SSD for whatever reason, or you have power loss, or whatever which corrupts your system. You never know, so be safe.

If nothing helps, then look into clean installing Windows 10.

Windows 10 has been working great with the following GPUs powered system on my side:

-> Intel integrated graphics U series mobile CPUs: Ivy Bridge and Skylake

-> GeForce Go 7400, GeForce 610, GeForce 730, GeForce 260, GeForce 680, GeForce 980, GeForce 980 Ti

-> Quadro NVS 160M

I don't have any Radeon graphics cards.