SSD Upgrade

Wayne Tai

My setup : 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD giving me a total of 500 GB - I install my OS and games on it. 

I have try to accomplish 2 things

1. More storage space - Games are getting bigger these days and I want to avoid having to uninstall / reinstall games

2. Faster boot time - I notice that my PC is taking longer to boot than my Alienware laptop, which is running on a 250GB SSD and a single GTX 980m, despite running the same version of windows.

Question:

what would be a good upgrade option? should I get a PCIE based SSD for OS/ work related softwares and use my 850 Pros to house all my games? I reckon I need another 500 GB for the time being. 

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

Since youre rocking X99 the PCI-E SSD's will be bootable. I would go with an 400Gb Intel 750 series PCI-E SSD, but there are other options too.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

Since I am not booting with the raid 0 samsung pros, it will not affect the boot time right? 

Not very familiar with PCIE based options, how do I choose a good PCIE SSD? other than read/ write speeds

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

4 minutes ago, Wayne Tai said:

Since I am not booting with the raid 0 samsung pros, it will not affect the boot time right? 

Not very familiar with PCIE based options, how do I choose a good PCIE SSD? other than read/ write speeds

The 400Gb Intel 750 PCI-E SSD have approx. 2.2Gb/s read speed, so its a huge improvement in speed compared to the RAID 0 setup.

Oh, and press the "Quote" button if you want to reply, as they also recieve a notification.

And when it comes to choosing such SSD's, buy them from reputable manufacters. Intel and Samsung are among the better/best.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

2 minutes ago, TeeTwo said:

The 400Gb Intel 750 PCI-E SSD have approx. 2.2Gb/s read speed, so its a huge improvement in speed compared to the RAID 0 setup.

Oh, and press the "Quote" button if you want to reply, as they also recieve a notification.

Thanks for your information

2.2 Gb/s is very enticing. I wonder what it will do to games loading time.

Can I keep my samsung pros in raid 0? since I am not using them as boot device, it should affect boot time right? 

Just now, Wayne Tai said:

Thanks for your information

2.2 Gb/s is very enticing. I wonder what it will do to games loading time.

Can I keep my samsung pros in raid 0? since I am not using them as boot device, it should affect boot time right? 

Keeping the RAID volume wont do anything to boot times, as the BIOS will recognize that the OS will only be on the PCI-E SSD, and will as such only read from that.

On 5/6/2016 at 11:06 PM, TeeTwo said:

Keeping the RAID volume wont do anything to boot times, as the BIOS will recognize that the OS will only be on the PCI-E SSD, and will as such only read from that.

So I was about to order my Intel 750 series SSD then I read some conflicting reviews about PCIE SSDs. Some people say that it takes longer to boot? Will the newer samsung 950 be a better option?

What do you think of this set up?

Boot Drive : Samsung 950 Pro 500 GB

Games : Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB x 2 (Raid 0)

2 hours ago, Wayne Tai said:

So I was about to order my Intel 750 series SSD then I read some conflicting reviews about PCIE SSDs. Some people say that it takes longer to boot? Will the newer samsung 950 be a better option?

What do you think of this set up?

Boot Drive : Samsung 950 Pro 500 GB

Games : Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB x 2 (Raid 0)

The 950 Pro seems like a solid choise, go for it if you belive it will be better.

On 6.05.2016 г. at 5:37 PM, Wayne Tai said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

Just a few things to have in mind when deciding on the setup:
- Booting from a RAID array would cause longer boot times as the system needs to initialize the array before proceeding with the boot sequence. 
- Larger SSDs generally perform faster compared to smaller ones.
- Gaming doesn't rely on the storage's performance for anything else but the loading times so you are not likely to see any improvements in your gameplay regardless if you put your games on a PCIe NVME SSD, SATA SSDs in RAID0 or a simple HDD. The only thing that would change would be your loading times (both in-game and initial).

What are your aims? Any specific games or applications in mind? Any performance or loading times that you'd like to achieve?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/