Rennie07

PC Specs - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xFvfK8

MSI Z97 PC Mate

i5 4690k - Cryorig H7 cooler

Seasonic 520w S12ii PSU

Asus Strix GTX 970

8gb ddr3 1866mhz ram (2x4)

Sorry for the wall of text in advance.

Built my pc about 6 weeks ago and on the first night, after installing Rocket League and plugging in an Xbox 360 controller, my display went off and I couldn't post with my GPU plugged in.

My motherboard was not recognising my GPU at all in the BIOS, with the PCI-E slot showing as empty. I tried a friends Radeon HD 7700 and it worked fine. After putting it down to a bad GPU I got a replacement and it seemed to work fine.

I was running games like the Division, Far Cry Primal, LoL etc. on high settings and everything seemed fine for about 6 weeks.

Cut to the day before yesterday, I got over my fear and installed Rocket League and plugged in my 360 controller, not 2 minutes into a game and boom, display goes off and my GPU is seemingly dead.

I'm at a loss now, I am getting a refund for my GPU and I am RMA'ing my PSU to get it checked in case its faulty.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what my problem could be?

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Rennie07 said:

PC Specs - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xFvfK8

MSI Z97 PC Mate

i5 4690k - Cryorig H7 cooler

Seasonic 520w S12ii PSU

Asus Strix GTX 970

8gb ddr3 1866mhz ram (2x4)

Sorry for the wall of text in advance.

Built my pc about 6 weeks ago and on the first night, after installing Rocket League and plugging in an Xbox 360 controller, my display went off and I couldn't post with my GPU plugged in.

My motherboard was not recognising my GPU at all in the BIOS, with the PCI-E slot showing as empty. I tried a friends Radeon HD 7700 and it worked fine. After putting it down to a bad GPU I got a replacement and it seemed to work fine.

I was running games like the Division, Far Cry Primal, LoL etc. on high settings and everything seemed fine for about 6 weeks.

Cut to the day before yesterday, I got over my fear and installed Rocket League and plugged in my 360 controller, not 2 minutes into a game and boom, display goes off and my GPU is seemingly dead.

I'm at a loss now, I am getting a refund for my GPU and I am RMA'ing my PSU to get it checked in case its faulty.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what my problem could be?

Thanks.

Replacing the PSU is a good idea. There isn't much else to blame for this.

Its automatic, just press this button!

sounds like a bad psu, maybe you should RMA it

though its weird it only occurred in rocket league lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

35 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Replacing the PSU is a good idea. There isn't much else to blame for this.

Do you suggest just replacing as in the PSU is faulty, or as in get a different brand/wattage?

just replace it, seasonic is quite good

3 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

just replace it, seasonic is quite good

This is what i thought and I am RMA'ing to Scan.co.uk. They said they will test it and replace it if found faulty. My worry is that they say it's not faulty, then i'm stumped.

This only happened in Rocket league with a controller plugged into my rear I/o usb 3.0 slot, (which i have only used twice, both times causing this issue.) I was worried that maybe something on the I/O was shorting out but that would be instantaneous (?) and it took a few minutes in game to fail.

2 minutes ago, Rennie07 said:

This is what i thought and I am RMA'ing to Scan.co.uk. They said they will test it and replace it if found faulty. My worry is that they say it's not faulty, then i'm stumped.

This only happened in Rocket league with a controller plugged into my rear I/o usb 3.0 slot, (which i have only used twice, both times causing this issue.) I was worried that maybe something on the I/O was shorting out but that would be instantaneous (?) and it took a few minutes in game to fail.

thats a possibility. You might want to try it with a cheap old card if you have one.

1 minute ago, mrgooglegeek said:

thats a possibility. You might want to try it with a cheap old card if you have one.

My friend let me use his old Radeon HD 7700 series to see if it was my slots and that seemed to work fine, altough i didnt actually try RL with a controller for fear of killing his card. I may ask him if he doesn't mind letting me attempt to kill it.

yea thats worth a try but I doubt that this is the issue

2 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

yea thats worth a try but I doubt that this is the issue

If it turns out to be a fault psu, what is triggering it to fail, under the exact same circumstances, twice? I mean, ive been maxing out the division and other games for over 5 weeks now, and only when i run RL and use the controller did it fail twice. No other issues at all, except this.

Edit: I'm no expert, far from it. But after happening twice, it must be the USB port causing the failure somehow? I didn't think a program could cause a card to fail.

Honestly Im not sure. It may be that the GPU's are not really dying and are just getting softbricked. I have no idea other than that.

3 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Honestly Im not sure. It may be that the GPU's are not really dying and are just getting softbricked. I have no idea other than that.

I don't really have any tech savvy friends to help. My brother and his friend are going to come over and tear everything down with me and make sure everything is put together properly, once my new PSU and GPU arrive. I'm going to give the mobo a good look over to make sure there arent any signs of shorting anywhere. Barring that i will just avoid using the rear usb 3.0 ports and avoid rocket league.

Fingers crossed that it turns out the PSU was faulty and i can breathe a sigh of relief.

If you want to test the usb ports, just use onboard graphics

2 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

If you want to test the usb ports, just use onboard graphics

The port itself worked fine, as far as i could tell. The controller connected and operated with no issues. Only after a few minutes did the signal die along with the GPU.

well just test it out the same way except with onboard graphics. If that caused an issue then it is probably a software issue.

1 minute ago, mrgooglegeek said:

well just test it out the same way except with onboard graphics. If that caused an issue then it is probably a software issue.

I may try that tomorrow, but I don't think i'd be able to open rocket league running integrated graphics.

it will open, it will just run really bad

Am i going to run the risk of killing my CPU if i do this?

21 hours ago, mrgooglegeek said:

it will open, it will just run really bad

One thing to add, I have a tp link wirless card plugged in to my second PCI-E x16 slot. Do you think that would have any effect?

On 5/6/2016 at 9:10 AM, Rennie07 said:

Am i going to run the risk of killing my CPU if i do this?

no

On 5/7/2016 at 6:45 AM, Rennie07 said:

One thing to add, I have a tp link wirless card plugged in to my second PCI-E x16 slot. Do you think that would have any effect?

shouldnt matter

I'll second, third and fourth the power supply suggestion. those 520's and corsair 520's don't seem to last very long. lost a couple of drives because of them but not a graphics card. if you wait long enough maybe you'll see some white smoke coming off one of the wires. With the cpu fan spinning up you'll see a nifty trick that the fast air off the fan does to the smoke billowing into the surrounding area. try swapping in a decent PS and see how it goes.......... and don't go by what the suggested wattage is. go 100watts higher and buy a good one.

16 hours ago, LabRat said:

I'll second, third and fourth the power supply suggestion. those 520's and corsair 520's don't seem to last very long. lost a couple of drives because of them but not a graphics card. if you wait long enough maybe you'll see some white smoke coming off one of the wires. With the cpu fan spinning up you'll see a nifty trick that the fast air off the fan does to the smoke billowing into the surrounding area. try swapping in a decent PS and see how it goes.......... and don't go by what the suggested wattage is. go 100watts higher and buy a good one.

I was under the impression that the Seasonic PSU is a top quality one? I've RMA'd it now to see if it was faulty, should find out in a few days.

they're supposed to be. but some of the 520's were not right for some reason. corsairs early 520's were crap too. maybe same manufacturing? the corsairs phased out don't exist anymore. ( AFAIK )

I'm attempting to get a refund/credit, but it seems like i'll only be able to get a replacement, assuming it's found to be faulty. Are there any tests i can do on the mobo to check for faults / over vaulting etc?