Need Help Choosing CPU cooler

PHrez95

First thing first, the case in this video is not my case. It is just similar because I wanted to use it as an example.  My case is the Corsair Spec-M2 which has slightly less room for CPU coolers than the SPEC-02. I wanted to stick with a tower-style CPU cooler (with a 120mm fan if possible). But I am not sure which of these (if any) will fit inside the case I chose. I have already checked the specs of the M2 and it is listed as having a 150mm maximum CPU cooler height. But I am aware that sometimes the maximum height is referring to the side panel as being the limiting factor. This can be misleading because the SPEC series has an indentation on the side panel window making it possible to fit coolers which are taller than the listed "maximum CPU cooler height". Here is an example of the 212 EVO fitting into a case which only has 157mm maximum CPU cooler support. (The 212 EVO has heatsink dimensions of 159mm) And there appears to be a few millimeters left to spare.

TL:DR Need largest CPU cooler that will fit, but I can't test compatibility myself. The 150mm maximum is probably the maximum to the side panel, not the indentation of the window.

CompareTowers.PNG

CoolerMasterT4.PNG

Hyper212 EVO.PNG

BeQuietPureRock.PNG

cryorig h7, or if you want something beefier, noctua nh-c14s

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Just now, DrM said:

Thanks!

An NH-D15 will fit if you lower the fans all the way. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 minutes ago, DrM said:

Will the Cryorig have RAM clearence issues? Or is the fan close enough to the CPU socket that it won't be a problem?

25 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

An NH-D15 will fit if you lower the fans all the way. 

listed height without fans is 160mm

11 minutes ago, PHrez95 said:

Will the Cryorig have RAM clearence issues?

no ram issues. the fan is offset so its right behind any ram slots

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yep

looks like the guy has a spec 02 with 157mm clearence. OP has a spec-m2, with 150mm of clearence, so i dont think theres enough room for a nh-d15

3 hours ago, DrM said:

listed height without fans is 160mm

no ram issues. the fan is offset so its right behind any ram slots

I ended up choosing the  Cryorig after giving it some thought, thanks for everything!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 5:06 PM, PHrez95 said:

Thanks!

Thermaltake's NiC L32/Frio Silent 14 outperforms the H7 for less.