2008 pc upgrade

So i tried to play on my older bro's com which had a core 2 duo e7200 2.53ghz, a gt 605, relatively new hard drives and he couldnt even play csgo at the lowest settings(he gets like 15fps), so i pitied him and also treated myself to a MSI 960 twin frozr and i gave my 750ti twin frozr to him. But his ancient cpu is bottlenecking the gpu so much he now plays csgo at 35fps at lowest settings... it even gets to like 20fps when shooting. When i had the 750ti, i got around 200fps on max for csgo, will changing the cpu into like a Q6600 quad help? The reason why i didnt change his whole motherboard, ram and cpu is because im only 13??? and im not rich so i found a $25 q6600 and i was just wondering if it will help. Skype takes up 40% of his cpu usage???.

3 minutes ago, player285 said:

So i tried to play on my older bro's com which had a core 2 duo e7200 2.53ghz, a gt 605, relatively new hard drives and he couldnt even play csgo at the lowest settings(he gets like 15fps), so i pitied him and also treated myself to a MSI 960 twin frozr and i gave my 750ti twin frozr to him. But his ancient cpu is bottlenecking the gpu so much he now plays csgo at 35fps at lowest settings... it even gets to like 20fps when shooting. When i had the 750ti, i got around 200fps on max for csgo, will changing the cpu into like a Q6600 quad help? The reason why i didnt change his whole motherboard, ram and cpu is because im only 13??? and im not rich so i found a $25 q6600 and i was just wondering if it will help. Skype takes up 40% of his cpu usage???.

You problem isn´t the CPU, it´s Skype.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

You problem isn´t the CPU, it´s Skype.

Even if he closes skype, his cpu usage is like 60% on without playing any games. Small things hog up the cpu...

have you tried turning off skype?

because that is like the main cause, and the first thing i would do.

since your cpu is very limited, DONT leave any other programs open, so that the game gets all possible usage

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

1 minute ago, player285 said:

Even if he closes skype, his cpu usage is like 60% on without playing any games. Small things hog up the cpu...

What´s running that qualifies as small things? Are they malware stuff or what?

If skype takes up so much then close skype xD my laptop with a core 2 duo can run CSGO on med setting at 30fps and that has built in graphics 

2 minutes ago, player285 said:

Well close them, your CPU should run at 1-2% with only Windows running 

Your bros problem is the CPU.

Rather than a Q6600, I would suggest a Xeon e5450 or Xeon x5650. Those CPUs are much faster than a Q6600 and are intended to run on a socket 771 motherboard; however, with an easy modification to the socket and a piece of conductive tape placed on the bottom of the Xeon -- together with a modded BIOS the Xeon will fit and work completely in most (not all, but most) mainstream 775 motherboards.

The retail Xeons noted above (you do not want an engineering sample for this) overclock all to hell and will go to 4.0-4.2GHz under a Corsair H60 AIO without difficulty. This will add significant power to your bros computer.  The Xeons go for about $25-35 on eBay.

If your brother does not already have 8 GB of RAM, I suggest that he upgrade from 4GB to 8 GB of RAM. DDR2 is expensive stuff but it is available off of eBay here: 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281705992229

The relevant thread to read is here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/mod-lga775-support-for-lga771-xeon-cpus

And the video to watch on the modification is here:

4 minutes ago, Steel_Wind said:

Rather than a Q6600, I would suggest a Xeon e5450 or Xeon x5650. Those CPUs are much faster than a Q6600 and are intended to run on a socket 771 motherboard; however, with an easy modification to the socket and a piece of conductive tape placed on the bottom of the Xeon -- together with a modded BIOS the Xeon will fit and work completely in most (not all, but most) mainstream 775 motherboards.

The retail Xeons noted above (you do not want an engineering sample for this) overclock all to hell and will go to 4.0-4.2GHz under a Corsair H60 AIO without difficulty. This will add significant power to your bros computer.  The Xeons go for about $25-35 on eBay.

Be warned, this works with only some motherboards.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

It works with most mainstream moboards.  Read the thread on overclock.net and determine your mobo's compatibility.

6 minutes ago, Steel_Wind said:

If your brother does not already have 8 GB of RAM, I suggest that he upgrade from 4GB to 6 GB of RAM. DDR2 is expensive stuff but it is available off of eBay here: 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281705992229

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Its a p5kvm motherboard (g33) so it dosent look like its supporred

6 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Well close them, your CPU should run at 1-2% with only Windows running 

I'm typing this on an old HP Core2Duo running at 3.0 GHz on Windows 10.  Frankly I find it amazing how responsive and useful such old computers really are.  I wouldn't want to game on this personally, but for general use, it is fine.

I second the above point, if your computer always seems to be pegging the CPU for 50+%, then you have stuff running in the background.  Maybe you need it, maybe you don't, but that isn't Windows doing that.  (not all the time anyway).

It might be time for a fresh install as well.  This computer I'm typing on came with Windows 7 on it, but rather than do an upgrade and take all the old baggage with it, I simply wiped the drive and installed Win 10 cleanly using the Win 7 product key.

Running like a champ. :)

1 minute ago, Steel_Wind said:

It works with most mainstream moboards.  Read the thread on overclock.net and determine your mobo's compatibility.

http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/2/

There's also that really useful website. Me and a friend followed it when getting an X5450 into an EVGA 680i SLI motherboard but that did require an FSB downclock.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Tech Deals said:

I'm typing this on an old HP Core2Duo running at 3.0 GHz on Windows 10.  Frankly I find it amazing how responsive and useful such old computers really are.  I wouldn't want to game on this personally, but for general use, it is fine.

I second the above point, if your computer always seems to be pegging the CPU for 50+%, then you have stuff running in the background.  Maybe you need it, maybe you don't, but that isn't Windows doing that.  (not all the time anyway).

It might be time for a fresh install as well.  This computer I'm typing on came with Windows 7 on it, but rather than do an upgrade and take all the old baggage with it, I simply wiped the drive and installed Win 10 cleanly using the Win 7 product key.

Running like a champ. :)

Its running windows 10 just installed recently like 3 months ago, he plays a lot of games and he talks to his friends on skype, curse, or discord

Nevermind im going to go and sleep now, i have an important exam tomorrow. continue this tmr maybe?

5 minutes ago, player285 said:

Its a p5kvm motherboard (g33) so it dosent look like its supporred

The G33 is supported and there is a modded BIOS for the microcode available. Check the Overclock.net thread and Youtube for DL link.

2 hours ago, player285 said:

Its running windows 10 just installed recently like 3 months ago, he plays a lot of games and he talks to his friends on skype, curse, or discord

In that case, he may simply be trying to do more with the computer than it was meant to do.

While yes, you can throw some money at it with a quad core CPU, keep the expectations in check for the improvement.  It will help, but the machine is in fact out of date.  It works fine for basic web use and perhaps even light gaming, but honestly it is time to move on. :)

Note: If money is an issue, there are some really good deals on i5-2400 machines on eBay for around $150 that will run rings around that old machine.