Small question about win8

razersum

Hello guys, I am currently running a gaming rig on a pirated version of windows 7 64bit, and was recently interested in getting a genuine windows version. I went to the microsoft website and it seems there is only windows 8 available there and no windows 7. Hence, I decided to go for windows 8. But on the website it shows that its windows 8 upgrade?? so I would believe that for it to work i will need an activated windows 7 so that I can get that upgrade? also, even if I buy the windows 8 upgrade, will be able to write that to a dvd and do a clean install after formating my boot drive??

Most likely you would need a genuine copy of Windows 7 to do the upgrade. As for using the upgrade for a clean install, that is not possible, as the upgrade is meant to take an older version of the OS or alternate version (i.e. Home to Pro) and upgrade it to the one you have purchased. So what you download (the upgrade) is not actually a full OS installation.

Generally I keep away from windows upgrades, mainly going back to experiences in earlier versions of Windows where an upgrade was guaranteed to break something somewhere. Also cause most people I know that have used the upgrade have had things broken by the upgrade process. I would spend the extra like $20 to get a full OEM copy from like newegg.

Currently Microsoft DOES NOT sell full retail versions of Windows 8, the only way to buy a full (non-upgrade) version is to purchase an OEM copy from Newegg or the like.

Here is a chat from Microsoft customer service after I failed to find a full version for sale on the Microsoft site.

You are now chatting with 'Amy'.

You: Hello, do you sell full versions of Windows 8?

Amy: Thanks for contacting Microsoft Store Chat! How can I help you today?

Amy: That's a great question!

Amy: I would be happy to help you with your Windows questions!

Amy: I am sorry we do not sell a OEM version of Windows 8 you would need to purchase that from a third party seller like newegg.

You: So the only way to buy a non upgrade version of the OS is by buying an OEM copy?

You: is there no retail copy like there was with windows 7?

Amy: Yes this is correct, I am sorry

You: do you have any info on if this may change in the future?

Amy: I am sorry I do not know

You: ok, thank you!

Most likely you would need a genuine copy of Windows 7 to do the upgrade. As for using the upgrade for a clean install, that is not possible, as the upgrade is meant to take an older version of the OS or alternate version (i.e. Home to Pro) and upgrade it to the one you have purchased. So what you download (the upgrade) is not actually a full OS installation.

Generally I keep away from windows upgrades, mainly going back to experiences in earlier versions of Windows where an upgrade was guaranteed to break something somewhere. Also cause most people I know that have used the upgrade have had things broken by the upgrade process. I would spend the extra like $20 to get a full OEM copy from like newegg.

Currently Microsoft DOES NOT sell full retail versions of Windows 8, the only way to buy a full (non-upgrade) version is to purchase an OEM copy from Newegg or the like.

Here is a chat from Microsoft customer service after I failed to find a full version for sale on the Microsoft site.

You are now chatting with 'Amy'.

You: Hello, do you sell full versions of Windows 8?

Amy: Thanks for contacting Microsoft Store Chat! How can I help you today?

Amy: That's a great question!

Amy: I would be happy to help you with your Windows questions!

Amy: I am sorry we do not sell a OEM version of Windows 8 you would need to purchase that from a third party seller like newegg.

You: So the only way to buy a non upgrade version of the OS is by buying an OEM copy?

You: is there no retail copy like there was with windows 7?

Amy: Yes this is correct, I am sorry

You: do you have any info on if this may change in the future?

Amy: I am sorry I do not know

You: ok, thank you!

thank you for the reply, anyways, i just found this link, could you please go through it and let me know if this is for the OEM version, or for the upgrade version???

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-install

You CAN do a clean install with the upgrade version of Windows 8.

However, the license agreement says that you need a genuine version of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed on your system to be eligible for the Upgrade.

Now for the messy in understanding "OEM"'s license:

-> OEM versions of Windows 8 no longer available to system builders, except authorized one. It required the OEM manufacture to insert the Windows 8 product key in the BIOS/UEFI chip. This was done to reduce piracy form the per-activated license of Windows 8, And also solve the problem with old stickers where the product key warn out.

-> A new license has been introduced called System Builders, this replaces the old OEM's license of Windows that you could buy in computer stores. However, computer retail store still calls it OEM, despite being System Builders license. This license the simarly priced with the previous OEM version of Windows (a bit cheaper actually), but is more expensive than the actual OEM version that manufactures have.

What has changed on the license of System Builder, it recognizes you as a system builder so that you follow the license agreement properly. Also, you can turn the license to Personal Use, which means that the license is set for you, and not for resale. This was an issue with the old way, which made people question on weather it was legit or not to build a computer using OEM license for themselves and not for resale (yes, you have people that like to be 100% legit, and do things properly). So this is good news. Conversion to Personal Use license is free. All you have to do is agree the following license agreement: http://personaluselicense.windows.co...S/default.aspx[/url=http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx]

By the way, congrats for going 100% Legit :D

As you may have heared, Windows 8 has a steep learning curve. I pass through it, and now I enjoy Windows 8 on my laptop and desktop. If you have any questions, just ask.

Here are some tips and trick to get started:

-> When you start Windows 8 for the first time, Microsoft will guide to a wizard to your accoutn started. At some point it will ask you for a "Microsoft account", which is just a hotmail, outlook, msdn or live account login. This is OPTIONAL. This is if you want some of your Windows settings and purchases to the Windows Store, be synced between your other Windows 8 devices and computers. If you don't care about this, you'll see a button for creating a Local account. Which is traditional account. No mater what you pick, you can switch at any time back and forth from the options in Windows.

-> Start Screen. I'll say it right now: the default layout of the Star Screen SUCKS, and this is what makes people, I think, flee. But it's customizable, more so than the classic Start Menu. The Start Screen is nothing more than the STart menu but full screen, and auto filters out "Readme", "Uninstall", "Visit website", etc crap that the dam installers wants to dump in your Start menu. So it's always nice and clean. While the following screen shot is old, here is mine start screen on my desktop. It can give you an idea on how you can set your start screen up with ease. Basically, you can pin practically anything you want to the Start Screen, arrange it, and make groups.

[url=http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png]http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png[/url=http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png]

The way I organize the start screen, is that the items from the bottom left corner of the screen, are the items the most use, which I want quick access to too with minimal mouse travel, and the for right items I will most likely least use, as they are on my task bar, and use the search feature to open it.

I use the metro apps, as kinda like gadgets in Windows Vista/7. They are more reliable, and allows me to check stuff out, in a ad free envirement in a nice quick glance. So I like it. The apps I have are, if you wonder (all free): CTV news, Tom's hardware, and the best one of them all, Bento News (it's a really cool RSS reader), And yes I have the Windows weather app, calendar, music and mail.

-> The Music app. Many people just ditch the app because it's "metro", but what they fail to notice is that you have free unlimited music streaming out of 30 million songs (this is more than any streaming service, and very close to iTunes library). This is really cool. It's free for teh first 6 month, than 10h per month of listening (or you make a new hotmail account of whatever, and use that account to login, and you have another 6 month of free unlimited music :) ), Or if you are interested, you can get the XBox Music Pass for 10$ a month or 100$ a year (2 month free of saving), and it removes the tiny adds in the Music app, you can listen unlimited all the time to music, you can also download music unlimited, and use the desktop music app: Zune, which uses the same music store.

(Downloaded music is only playable on Microsoft devices so: Windows 8, Windows XP/Vista/7 with the Zune app, Windows Phone 7/8, Zune MP3 Music player, Windows RT devices. Microsoft did say that they are working on making a music app for iOS and Android phone so that you can listen your downloaded music there. It is expected this app will come later this year.

-> Learn the new keyboard shortcuts:

Win+I to open the settinsg panel (which allows you to also shutdown/restart/sleep your computer),

Ctrl+Tab on the start screen: shows you all your apps and start menu items,

Win+Q/Win+S/Win+F: Search for in order: App, Settings and File.

WIn+X: Access the "power user" menu. This menu is customizable.

And that's should get you started nicely.

Oh, if you want to play DVD movies. Microsoft has pulled DVD codec and Media Center (and all it's codec related to TV recording and playback) out of Windows 8 as very very very few people used them, in order to help drop the price of Windows 8. However, you can get them back from Windows:

Here is how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/feature-packs

However, if you have Windows 8, its 140$ (this will also upgrade you to Windows 8 Pro as well)

If you have Windows 8 Pro it's only 10$, which is much cheaper than buying DVD codec software and use their shitty player with it. Here you can play your DVD with Media Center, and as you can setup from the Autorun panel, to load your DVD movie with Media Center, it will start instantly with it and play it, so it's like before.. just using Media Center instead of Media Player.

I would recommend you to upgrade to win 8' date=' i had a terrible experience with it.It's major reason why I wasn't active for last 3-4 days here. Thank God, I didn't format my XP diive and somehow recovered it.Internet runs very slow on Windows 8 and the new Metro UI blows. Furthermore, if u disable few services that might not affect Windows XP you would face many issue,i did that to tweak performance but it rather forced to do another installation.[/quote']

Please stop lying. You are one of those people that love XP, despite being a horrible OS, and you lie about everything because you hope that XP never dies.

We all heard your speech on how Vista was horrible when it was simply just too ahead of its time... but ok, it was followed as you had some points, but you guys continued with Windows 7 on how its horrible, and Microsoft will declare bankruptcy, and all that. Yea, ok. We heard you. Windows 7 is the most use OS now, and loved by all. And now you continue again with Windows 8, because teh Start menu is now larger and take the entire screen. Somehow that simple interface modification makes it "impossible to use", and all that.

And now no mater what happens you are doubled screwed, because you resisted updating your Windows, now the learning curve is crazy high, that you are sounding like an old grump old man going "In my old days....". Well to bad for you. Everyone that gave Windows 8 a serious chance, got the hang of it after maximum a month of serious usage, and now all prefer it over Windows 7, which they loved. It's a question of passing that learning curve. Is Win8 perfect, no, but I think Microsoft did the best they can, and now it's a question of getting telemetry data from users, to be able to polish it more.. which will probably occur with Windows 8.1 or wtv it will be called later this year (read: Project Blue, where Microsoft is going into a yearly OS update, including Windows RT and Windows Phone, instead of a 3 year life cycle. Of course, Windows updates will be cheap (probably 30-40$) or free. Microsoft is still deciding)

You CAN do a clean install with the upgrade version of Windows 8.

However, the license agreement says that you need a genuine version of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed on your system to be eligible for the Upgrade.

Now for the messy in understanding "OEM"'s license:

-> OEM versions of Windows 8 no longer available to system builders, except authorized one. It required the OEM manufacture to insert the Windows 8 product key in the BIOS/UEFI chip. This was done to reduce piracy form the per-activated license of Windows 8, And also solve the problem with old stickers where the product key warn out.

-> A new license has been introduced called System Builders, this replaces the old OEM's license of Windows that you could buy in computer stores. However, computer retail store still calls it OEM, despite being System Builders license. This license the simarly priced with the previous OEM version of Windows (a bit cheaper actually), but is more expensive than the actual OEM version that manufactures have.

What has changed on the license of System Builder, it recognizes you as a system builder so that you follow the license agreement properly. Also, you can turn the license to Personal Use, which means that the license is set for you, and not for resale. This was an issue with the old way, which made people question on weather it was legit or not to build a computer using OEM license for themselves and not for resale (yes, you have people that like to be 100% legit, and do things properly). So this is good news. Conversion to Personal Use license is free. All you have to do is agree the following license agreement: http://personaluselicense.windows.co...S/default.aspx[/url=http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx]

By the way, congrats for going 100% Legit :D

As you may have heared, Windows 8 has a steep learning curve. I pass through it, and now I enjoy Windows 8 on my laptop and desktop. If you have any questions, just ask.

Here are some tips and trick to get started:

-> When you start Windows 8 for the first time, Microsoft will guide to a wizard to your accoutn started. At some point it will ask you for a "Microsoft account", which is just a hotmail, outlook, msdn or live account login. This is OPTIONAL. This is if you want some of your Windows settings and purchases to the Windows Store, be synced between your other Windows 8 devices and computers. If you don't care about this, you'll see a button for creating a Local account. Which is traditional account. No mater what you pick, you can switch at any time back and forth from the options in Windows.

-> Start Screen. I'll say it right now: the default layout of the Star Screen SUCKS, and this is what makes people, I think, flee. But it's customizable, more so than the classic Start Menu. The Start Screen is nothing more than the STart menu but full screen, and auto filters out "Readme", "Uninstall", "Visit website", etc crap that the dam installers wants to dump in your Start menu. So it's always nice and clean. While the following screen shot is old, here is mine start screen on my desktop. It can give you an idea on how you can set your start screen up with ease. Basically, you can pin practically anything you want to the Start Screen, arrange it, and make groups.

[url=http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png]http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png[/url=http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png]

The way I organize the start screen, is that the items from the bottom left corner of the screen, are the items the most use, which I want quick access to too with minimal mouse travel, and the for right items I will most likely least use, as they are on my task bar, and use the search feature to open it.

I use the metro apps, as kinda like gadgets in Windows Vista/7. They are more reliable, and allows me to check stuff out, in a ad free envirement in a nice quick glance. So I like it. The apps I have are, if you wonder (all free): CTV news, Tom's hardware, and the best one of them all, Bento News (it's a really cool RSS reader), And yes I have the Windows weather app, calendar, music and mail.

-> The Music app. Many people just ditch the app because it's "metro", but what they fail to notice is that you have free unlimited music streaming out of 30 million songs (this is more than any streaming service, and very close to iTunes library). This is really cool. It's free for teh first 6 month, than 10h per month of listening (or you make a new hotmail account of whatever, and use that account to login, and you have another 6 month of free unlimited music :) ), Or if you are interested, you can get the XBox Music Pass for 10$ a month or 100$ a year (2 month free of saving), and it removes the tiny adds in the Music app, you can listen unlimited all the time to music, you can also download music unlimited, and use the desktop music app: Zune, which uses the same music store.

(Downloaded music is only playable on Microsoft devices so: Windows 8, Windows XP/Vista/7 with the Zune app, Windows Phone 7/8, Zune MP3 Music player, Windows RT devices. Microsoft did say that they are working on making a music app for iOS and Android phone so that you can listen your downloaded music there. It is expected this app will come later this year.

-> Learn the new keyboard shortcuts:

Win+I to open the settinsg panel (which allows you to also shutdown/restart/sleep your computer),

Ctrl+Tab on the start screen: shows you all your apps and start menu items,

Win+Q/Win+S/Win+F: Search for in order: App, Settings and File.

WIn+X: Access the "power user" menu. This menu is customizable.

And that's should get you started nicely.

Oh, if you want to play DVD movies. Microsoft has pulled DVD codec and Media Center (and all it's codec related to TV recording and playback) out of Windows 8 as very very very few people used them, in order to help drop the price of Windows 8. However, you can get them back from Windows:

Here is how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/feature-packs

However, if you have Windows 8, its 140$ (this will also upgrade you to Windows 8 Pro as well)

If you have Windows 8 Pro it's only 10$, which is much cheaper than buying DVD codec software and use their shitty player with it. Here you can play your DVD with Media Center, and as you can setup from the Autorun panel, to load your DVD movie with Media Center, it will start instantly with it and play it, so it's like before.. just using Media Center instead of Media Player.

thanks for the reply man, and anyways, i have had a fair share of experience using windows 8. I had actually downloaded the beta[i actually dont remember the name] and used it. loved all the customizing possibilites. hence waited for the complete win8, but things got a little busy and didnt have time to see how the market of win8 is going.

I will just give windows sometime, and also try to find an OEM version, hope for the best

You CAN do a clean install with the upgrade version of Windows 8. However' date=' the license agreement says that you need a genuine version of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed on your system to be eligible for the Upgrade. Now for the messy in understanding "OEM"'s license: -> OEM versions of Windows 8 no longer available to system builders, except authorized one. It required the OEM manufacture to insert the Windows 8 product key in the BIOS/UEFI chip. This was done to reduce piracy form the per-activated license of Windows 8, And also solve the problem with old stickers where the product key warn out. -> A new license has been introduced called [b']System Builders, this replaces the old OEM's license of Windows that you could buy in computer stores. However, computer retail store still calls it OEM, despite being System Builders license. This license the simarly priced with the previous OEM version of Windows (a bit cheaper actually), but is more expensive than the actual OEM version that manufactures have. What has changed on the license of System Builder, it recognizes you as a system builder so that you follow the license agreement properly. Also, you can turn the license to Personal Use, which means that the license is set for you, and not for resale. This was an issue with the old way, which made people question on weather it was legit or not to build a computer using OEM license for themselves and not for resale (yes, you have people that like to be 100% legit, and do things properly). So this is good news. Conversion to Personal Use license is free. All you have to do is agree the following license agreement: http://personaluselicense.windows.co...S/default.aspx[/url=http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx] By the way, congrats for going 100% Legit :D As you may have heared, Windows 8 has a steep learning curve. I pass through it, and now I enjoy Windows 8 on my laptop and desktop. If you have any questions, just ask. Here are some tips and trick to get started: -> When you start Windows 8 for the first time, Microsoft will guide to a wizard to your accoutn started. At some point it will ask you for a "Microsoft account", which is just a hotmail, outlook, msdn or live account login. This is OPTIONAL. This is if you want some of your Windows settings and purchases to the Windows Store, be synced between your other Windows 8 devices and computers. If you don't care about this, you'll see a button for creating a Local account. Which is traditional account. No mater what you pick, you can switch at any time back and forth from the options in Windows. -> Start Screen. I'll say it right now: the default layout of the Star Screen SUCKS, and this is what makes people, I think, flee. But it's customizable, more so than the classic Start Menu. The Start Screen is nothing more than the STart menu but full screen, and auto filters out "Readme", "Uninstall", "Visit website", etc crap that the dam installers wants to dump in your Start menu. So it's always nice and clean. While the following screen shot is old, here is mine start screen on my desktop. It can give you an idea on how you can set your start screen up with ease. Basically, you can pin practically anything you want to the Start Screen, arrange it, and make groups. [url=http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png]http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png[/url=http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png] The way I organize the start screen, is that the items from the bottom left corner of the screen, are the items the most use, which I want quick access to too with minimal mouse travel, and the for right items I will most likely least use, as they are on my task bar, and use the search feature to open it. I use the metro apps, as kinda like gadgets in Windows Vista/7. They are more reliable, and allows me to check stuff out, in a ad free envirement in a nice quick glance. So I like it. The apps I have are, if you wonder (all free): CTV news, Tom's hardware, and the best one of them all, Bento News (it's a really cool RSS reader), And yes I have the Windows weather app, calendar, music and mail. -> The Music app. Many people just ditch the app because it's "metro", but what they fail to notice is that you have free unlimited music streaming out of 30 million songs (this is more than any streaming service, and very close to iTunes library). This is really cool. It's free for teh first 6 month, than 10h per month of listening (or you make a new hotmail account of whatever, and use that account to login, and you have another 6 month of free unlimited music :) ), Or if you are interested, you can get the XBox Music Pass for 10$ a month or 100$ a year (2 month free of saving), and it removes the tiny adds in the Music app, you can listen unlimited all the time to music, you can also download music unlimited, and use the desktop music app: Zune, which uses the same music store. (Downloaded music is only playable on Microsoft devices so: Windows 8, Windows XP/Vista/7 with the Zune app, Windows Phone 7/8, Zune MP3 Music player, Windows RT devices. Microsoft did say that they are working on making a music app for iOS and Android phone so that you can listen your downloaded music there. It is expected this app will come later this year. -> Learn the new keyboard shortcuts: Win+I to open the settinsg panel (which allows you to also shutdown/restart/sleep your computer), Ctrl+Tab on the start screen: shows you all your apps and start menu items, Win+Q/Win+S/Win+F: Search for in order: App, Settings and File. WIn+X: Access the "power user" menu. This menu is customizable. And that's should get you started nicely. Oh, if you want to play DVD movies. Microsoft has pulled DVD codec and Media Center (and all it's codec related to TV recording and playback) out of Windows 8 as very very very few people used them, in order to help drop the price of Windows 8. However, you can get them back from Windows: Here is how: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/feature-packs However, if you have Windows 8, its 140$ (this will also upgrade you to Windows 8 Pro as well) If you have Windows 8 Pro it's only 10$, which is much cheaper than buying DVD codec software and use their shitty player with it. Here you can play your DVD with Media Center, and as you can setup from the Autorun panel, to load your DVD movie with Media Center, it will start instantly with it and play it, so it's like before.. just using Media Center instead of Media Player.

So does the personal use thing make it so that the license is not tied to the hardware?

It is not ties to your hardware. It must be noted that the product key is still the same, so a phone activation might be needed if you change the motherboard, but as you agreed to the Personal Use license agreement that I linked, you are legit, and you;ll be given the override code.

There is a registry hack that will allow you to activate an upgrade copy of Windows 8 after doing a clean install. This post on lifehacker shows you what you need to do. I have not tried it personally but there have been a lot of successful posts in the comments.

http://lifehacker.com/5984278/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-with-an-upgrade-disc