Overheating Laptop

Train27

So I've got a somehow decent laptop (Intel i7 4750HQ & Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M) which I use for everything, from programming to gaming.

I also have a notebook cooler (I know it won't affect performance, but I bought it for my old laptop which was even worse when it comes to heat output) always running under it.

As every Windows 10 system, I can easily monitor the usage and performance of some components by switching from one energy plan to another (Economizer, Balanced or High Performance). The thing is, whenever I set it on High Performance (wether I'm gaming or just watching a video) the heat output starts to rise up to about 50~60º, making even the laptop's case and the keyboard really hot.

I know cpu's can handle temperatures about 70º+ but I'm still worried, will it affect the lifespan of both the cpu & gpu?

The notebook cooler doesn't seem to help much but I guess it's still better than not using it at all. My cpu model comes with a mid-range iGPU that helps the nvidia card when under heavy load so I guess the usage of both gpus and the cpu may be what's overheating the laptop.

Any advice on how to add additional refrigeration without sacrificing performance?

As always, thanks in advance.

No worries, 50~60º are great temps. Heat does reduce the lifespan of computers, but only when it is super high. If you're running your CPU at 95º all day every day, your CPU will probably be dead in a couple of years max. But your temps are well below thermal limits and will not be affecting the life of any of the components.

A tip: If your laptop has vents on the bottom, make sure to not use your laptop on blankets, or beds, or anything that might restrict air flow. Use a hard, flat surface to let the bottom vents breathe.

41 minutes ago, Train27 said:

So I've got a somehow decent laptop (Intel i7 4750HQ & Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M) which I use for everything, from programming to gaming.

I also have a notebook cooler (I know it won't affect performance, but I bought it for my old laptop which was even worse when it comes to heat output) always running under it.

As every Windows 10 system, I can easily monitor the usage and performance of some components by switching from one energy plan to another (Economizer, Balanced or High Performance). The thing is, whenever I set it on High Performance (wether I'm gaming or just watching a video) the heat output starts to rise up to about 50~60º, making even the laptop's case and the keyboard really hot.

I know cpu's can handle temperatures about 70º+ but I'm still worried, will it affect the lifespan of both the cpu & gpu?

The notebook cooler doesn't seem to help much but I guess it's still better than not using it at all. My cpu model comes with a mid-range iGPU that helps the nvidia card when under heavy load so I guess the usage of both gpus and the cpu may be what's overheating the laptop.

Any advice on how to add additional refrigeration without sacrificing performance?

As always, thanks in advance.

50-60*C is VERY low for a laptop - 90*C is the max safe for the CPU and 86*C for the GPU. You have nothing to fear

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6