Duplicate and extend screens, How?

Hunter7263
Go to solution Solved by Hunter7263,

In case anyone was wondering its actually really easy to setup the monitors the way I wanted. Once 3 were connected its gave options to clone anyone I wanted and extend others.

Does anyone know if Windows 10 will let you duplicate AND extend screens to use?

I recently picked up an elgato hd60 s capture card and its driving me a little insane. I mean its great when it works right and I still like having it but holy shit sometimes. The "passthough" on the HDMI does weird things with the colors and when you do things with the elgato software it causes weird things to happen with the screen. For instance when I open the sound recorder the screen goes dark for a second like its resetting. Sometimes it comes back and the colors are even stranger than before and in that case i have to unplug and replug it. 

Back to my question. I want to use my normal 2 displays and clone the second display on a "3rd" monitor. The elgato shows up as a monitor so i figure plug that in its own port and just clone the display i play games on. This way my game doesnt get woefully disturbed if something wonky happens with the capture card. The recording/streaming software has a preview of the recording so I'll know if something happens to it.

My googlefu was not strong enough to find an answer :( Hopefully one of you guys has the answer.

Sounds like some sort of driver corruption or driver conflict issue to me.

Have you checked your drivers are up to date? (going back to first-principles).

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

As for actually Cloning. An HDMI splitter might be your best bet. I don't think there's a way in OS or software to do it.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Ya. It may still be a driver issue though. The HD60 S came out about a week ago. I've tried many things

1 minute ago, unidentical said:

As for actually Cloning. An HDMI splitter might be your best bet. I don't think there's a way in OS or software to do it.

I actually have a splitter I tried. It works if I hook up my monitor and my TV but for whatever reason not if I hook up my capture card and my monitor. I have absolutely no idea why. I originally bought the splitter to strip the HDCP out of the signal. At least the splitter works for that.

14 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

Ya. It may still be a driver issue though. The HD60 S came out about a week ago. I've tried many things

My experience with visual display anomalies like this is always driver related.

Conflicts with other drivers or issues with the the software itself. If this is a new piece of kit on the market - driver conflicts would not be unexpected.

This also might be why you're having a tough time diagnosing it.

The good news is driver updates are getting released all the time.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

18 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElgatoGaming/comments/3opgqz/elgato_hd60_recording_troubles_glitches_artifacts/

Says in the first couple of posts that these devices do suffer with windows 10 driver compatibiliy issues.

1 minute ago, mark_cameron said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElgatoGaming/comments/3opgqz/elgato_hd60_recording_troubles_glitches_artifacts/

Says in the first couple of posts that these devices do suffer with windows 10 driver compatibiliy issues.

I figured as much. The video records just fine without any discoloration. The videos come out beautifully actually. Its just when it passes through the HDMI. I was really hoping to solve this by extending on 2 dispalys and cloning the the 2nd display to the elgato to overcome the problems i was having. I was hoping someone would know because I know when you have one display neither option even shows (I expected it to just be shaded out, i just checked on this computer with only one monitor). I have to wait until monday for my hdmi to dp cable to get to my house before I know if windows 10 even has the options at all to do it when "3" monitors are connected.

7 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

I figured as much. The video records just fine without any discoloration. The videos come out beautifully actually. Its just when it passes through the HDMI. I was really hoping to solve this by extending on 2 dispalys and cloning the the 2nd display to the elgato to overcome the problems i was having. I was hoping someone would know because I know when you have one display neither option even shows (I expected it to just be shaded out, i just checked on this computer with only one monitor). I have to wait until monday for my hdmi to dp cable to get to my house before I know if windows 10 even has the options at all to do it when "3" monitors are connected.

Yes. Software is continually getting developed. Plus sometimes you find a sweet spot. Keep experimenting.

I do recommend you give feedback to the manufacturer. That means they will look to account for issues. As they're aware of them.

Fingers crossed for you mate

In case anyone was wondering its actually really easy to setup the monitors the way I wanted. Once 3 were connected its gave options to clone anyone I wanted and extend others.

On 29/04/2016 at 9:42 PM, Hunter7263 said:

Did you get this sorted yet?

5 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

Did you get this sorted yet?

Ya i got my monitor situation sorted. Its actually super easy both the nvidia software and windows just gave me the options once it detected 3 displays. Far easier than i though it would be. Its one of those things you cant really know until you hook them up but hopefully this post will help others too.

The drivers on the other hand itll be a wait and see game to see how long before they are updated.