Question about gaming

When you load a game (from steam for an example) and you only have say around 4/6 or 8GB of ram. If your OS background processes are already using a few gig of ram. When you load up your game do you only have the rest of the ram or do you still have the full amount without the OS ram being used. I hope the question is understandable. Thanks

Launching a game does not clear up the ram your OS is using. I.e, if i have 8GB of ram, and i am currently using 2GB for the OS + background apps, the game will take what it needs. For instance, if i play a game using 1GB ram, then i'm using 3GB in total of my ram, leaving 5GB free.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

you have the full amount to play with

Windows and the game will fight for priority it'll lag a lot 

2 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Launching a game does not clear up the ram your OS is using. I.e, if i have 8GB of ram, and i am currently using 2GB for the OS + background apps, the game will take what it needs. For instance, if i play a game using 1GB ram, then i'm using 3GB in total of my ram, leaving 5GB free.

So it's better to have more ram for the OS to use and then for gaming also. thanks

5 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

you have the full amount to play with

Windows and the game will fight for priority it'll lag a lot 

So it will use the whole 8GB of ram if the game needed to use it. But the GPU does have ram also. Thanks

Lol it kinda reminds me of the GTA 5 days when i played it with 4GB ram.

xD i would load it u and when i closed it my windows would be using 1GB ram instead of like 2 xD. that took like 3 minutes to unfreeze. Ahh goodtimes lol

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Lol it kinda reminds me of the GTA 5 days when i played it with 4GB ram.

xD i would load it u and when i closed it my windows would be using 1GB ram instead of like 2 xD. that took like 3 minutes to unfreeze. Ahh goodtimes lol

Oh aha :) the good times. So the best amount would be around 16GB then or well 12GB ish as when you think about it I think on idle my pc uses 2.5GB of ram. Thanks

Just now, dragoncurt said:

Oh aha :) the good times. So the best amount would be around 16GB then or well 12GB ish as when you think about it I think on idle my pc uses 2.5GB of ram. Thanks

16GB ram master race!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502