SHIFT key on my laptop keyboard opens help window?

Rappelin

The left shift key on my laptops built in keyboard opens a helpwindow of whatever app I'm using, if in in chrome it opens chromes own help window and if i'm writing something in word and press the left shift key it opens microsofts help window. the right shift key works as a caps lock, and the caps lock key also works as that. If i'm listening to music via spotify and press the 1 key or the P key the music pauses. however, this is all fixed by plugging in a separate keyboard, but since this laptop is used for school that's not really an option most of the time. This is super annoying and slows down my schoolwork alot, so if anyone knows a solution i would be super happy to hear it.

Thanks for any solutions,

Rasmus

Build: GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 CPU: Intel i5 4690 MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Obsidian 500R

Are there any input related programs that are installed on your laptop? Some come with unnecessary software for keyboard/touchpad.

12 minutes ago, Rappelin said:

The left shift key on my laptops built in keyboard opens a helpwindow of whatever app I'm using, if in in chrome it opens chromes own help window and if i'm writing something in word and press the left shift key it opens microsofts help window. the right shift key works as a caps lock, and the caps lock key also works as that. If i'm listening to music via spotify and press the 1 key or the P key the music pauses. however, this is all fixed by plugging in a separate keyboard, but since this laptop is used for school that's not really an option most of the time. This is super annoying and slows down my schoolwork alot, so if anyone knows a solution i would be super happy to hear it.

Thanks for any solutions,

Rasmus

Uninstall the drivers/software for any other input devices you have used on your laptop (be careful not to uninstall the laptop's input drivers)

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

What has been allready posted + test an external keyboard if you have one first b4 you do anything.

Iif the external one does that with the shift key aswell, its probably some software (as allready mentioned) you installed w/ or w/o your knowledge, in theory it could be a mouse-driver software that allows macros gone rogue or even a faulty windows driver/update so check those.

If the external keyboard does not do it, then its either, as also allready mentioned, that the driver for your built in keyboard has gone mad or something the likes, in which case just re-download it from the manufacturer homepage or it can be some special key setting and/or combination from your laptop that you enabled - check the manual for those shortcuts.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

Look up the manual for your laptop's keyboard, it may be in some strange function mode. Also, try booting linux or something off a flash drive, see if you have the same problem there.

5 hours ago, Nord said:

What has been allready posted + test an external keyboard if you have one first b4 you do anything.

Iif the external one does that with the shift key aswell, its probably some software (as allready mentioned) you installed w/ or w/o your knowledge, in theory it could be a mouse-driver software that allows macros gone rogue or even a faulty windows driver/update so check those.

If the external keyboard does not do it, then its either, as also allready mentioned, that the driver for your built in keyboard has gone mad or something the likes, in which case just re-download it from the manufacturer homepage or it can be some special key setting and/or combination from your laptop that you enabled - check the manual for those shortcuts.

another keyboard fixes it, as i said in the OP.

1 hour ago, Nardella said:

Look up the manual for your laptop's keyboard, it may be in some strange function mode. Also, try booting linux or something off a flash drive, see if you have the same problem there.

I tried booting linux a while ago, and that also fixes it until i use windows again.

Build: GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 CPU: Intel i5 4690 MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Obsidian 500R

21 minutes ago, Rappelin said:

another keyboard fixes it, as i said in the OP.

Apperantly I did miss that.

Well in combination with the fact that a Linux boot fixes it, I would strongly go towards a defective driver for the keyboard, which is rather unfortunate since (at least speaking for myself) I have never seen a seperate keyboard driver for a laptop and just plugging it in & out isnt really an option.

Depending on the manufacturer you may or may not have a programm pre-installed on the laptop that allows you to rollback and/or re-install drivers - if you do, give that one a shot (or just go to the manufacturer homepage and download every driver they have and do it that way)

Another option would be to see if you can find the keyboard in device manager and first try to update it and then deinstall & reinstall from there.

This one you probably did allready but anyway: if you are running windows 8 or 10, do a system-restart, turning it on/off is not the same with those OS as they still keep specific informations untill you either boot the OS down with a specific command line or do a restart out of the running PC.

Last idea I'd have, check windows update log to see if windows maybe gave you a new keyboard driver and de-install that.

Edit: oh and if everything else fails, there is ofc always a full reformat ... if that does not fix it, most likely nothing anybody here or yourself will come up with will.

Edit2: you could also boot in safemode and see if that causes the issues aswell.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

6 minutes ago, Nord said:

Apperantly I did miss that.

Well in combination with the fact that a Linux boot fixes it, I would strongly go towards a defective driver for the keyboard, which is rather unfortunate since (at least speaking for myself) I have never seen a seperate keyboard driver for a laptop and just plugging it in & out isnt really an option.

Depending on the manufacturer you may or may not have a programm pre-installed on the laptop that allows you to rollback and/or re-install drivers - if you do, give that one a shot (or just go to the manufacturer homepage and download every driver they have and do it that way)

Another option would be to see if you can find the keyboard in device manager and first try to update it and then deinstall & reinstall from there.

This one you probably did allready but anyway: if you are running windows 8 or 10, do a system-restart, turning it on/off is not the same with those OS as they still keep specific informations untill you either boot the OS down with a specific command line or do a restart out of the running PC.

Last idea I'd have, check windows update log to see if windows maybe gave you a new keyboard driver and de-install that.

Edit: oh and if everything else fails, there is ofc always a full reformat ... if that does not fix it, most likely nothing anybody here or yourself will come up with will.

Thanks, will go through this list and see if anything helps, much appreciated!

Check safemode, I don't want to believe I didn't think of that earlier.