GTX 950 multi GPU with Polaris?

Go to solution Solved by Nacho Marco Segui,

Who the **** knows!!

I am going to buy a new Polaris gpu when they come out and was going to sell my gtx 950 but i am seeing some stuff about multi gpu setups being easier with DX12.

My question is if the 950 is worth keeping to use alongside my new polaris card in the future. 

I'm not sure because it is a dx 11 card mainlly or if I could at least utilize the extra vram.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

1 minute ago, wackywobbler said:

I am going to buy a new Polaris gpu when they come out and was going to sell my gtx 950 but i am seeing some stuff about multi gpu setups being easier with DX12.

My question is if the 950 is worth keeping to use alongside my new polaris card in the future. 

I'm not sure because it is a dx 11 card mainlly or if I could at least utilize the extra vram.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

That's not actually going to be a thing. While the possibility is there, it can only be used IF developers take the time to implement it. Besides, it requires DX12, which few games will use in the near future.

Stick to your plan of selling the 950.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

you can use it in Ashes of the Singularity, but that's about the only game that can do it

there are no future plans or announcements for other titles offering EMA

Either way 950 is definitely not worth keeping 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

You won't be able to use both cards in more than one game per year. Maybe as physics card, but the performance gain is marginal.

Selling / donating to a friend is the best option.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Who the **** knows!!

Sigh you're probably right. -_-

I think I might be speculating a lil too far into the future and I guess even if whole multi gpu dx12 thing turned out to be true i could just buy a cheap 2nd hand card anyways. thanks to everyone who replied, it was helpful

24 minutes ago, wackywobbler said:

I think I might be speculating a lil too far into the future and I guess even if whole multi gpu dx12 thing turned out to be true i could just buy a cheap 2nd hand card anyways. thanks to everyone who replied, it was helpful

It's definitely true, and it's implemented in Ashes of the Singularity which is available right now. There's even benchmarks of it, if you're interested. The problem is implementation is entirely up to the game's developer, and chances are support will be rare. I personally wouldn't plan around it, and I think it's safe to sell the 950.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

It's definitely true, and it's implemented in Ashes of the Singularity which is available right now. There's even benchmarks of it, if you're interested. The problem is implementation is entirely up to the game's developer, and chances are good support could remain extremely rare. I personally wouldn't plan around it, and I think it's safe to sell the 950.

ya there's too many unkowns to be holding on to a lower end card I guess. Thanks for the benchmark page, it's helpful