DNS Resolving failure

themoon123

Sometimes when i go to a random URL (youtube.com) it gives me a DNS error. I went to Event viewer and it said none of the configured DNS servers responded. This problem has been going on for a very long time and i switched to Google's DNS but that didn't make any difference. I even run ipconfig /flushdns and other network commands. I'm completely lost and any help would be appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz

GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2060 OC

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero 

Storage: 1TB, 500GB, 250GB SSD's, 1TB SSHD

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

This sounds more like your internet is dropping packets due to interference or another problem and less of a DNS issue. Are you connected via wireless or wired?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

This sounds more like your internet is dropping packets due to interference or another problem and less of a DNS issue. Are you connected via wireless or wired?

Wired.

3 minutes ago, TheiBurger said:

Wired.

Not sure how many steps are in between but if it's a problem that regularly shows up and you can always count on it try connecting directly to the modem and see if you can reproduce the issue. If you can I would call your ISP and tell them you are dropping a lot of packets as there might be a bad cable coming into the modem/router or maybe the router/modem itself is bad.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Not sure how many steps are in between but if it's a problem that regularly shows up and you can always count on it try connecting directly to the modem and see if you can reproduce the issue. If you can I would call your ISP and tell them you are dropping a lot of packets as there might be a bad cable coming into the modem/router or maybe the router/modem itself is bad.

Well i'm already connected to my router which has a modem builtin so i'll try and check with the ISP.

ipconfig /flushdns

and, uh you could try 

tracert youtube.com

to see if it resolves and is routing properly.

4 hours ago, r3bify said:

ipconfig /flushdns

and, uh you could try 

tracert youtube.com

to see if it resolves and is routing properly.

Already tried almost all ipconfig /x commands. Nothing worked :(

It's not just youtube but when i notice it i test all sorts of websites and none work for a couple of seconds. Tracert shows no problems.

I have no idea if this will have any effect but i made a rule in Windows Firewall allowing port 53 as i read it was used by some DNS servers to make incoming and outgoing connections. I'll keep an eye on the Event Viewer and see if it is still happening.

1 hour ago, TheiBurger said:

I have no idea if this will have any effect but i made a rule in Windows Firewall allowing port 53 as i read it was used by some DNS servers to make incoming and outgoing connections.

No this doesn't help since you are running a DNS client and not a sever.

Where did you change the DNS address?

3 hours ago, .spider. said:

No this doesn't help since you are running a DNS client and not a sever.

Where did you change the DNS address?

Networking and Sharing > Change adapter settings > Right click Ethernet > Properties > IPv4 > Properties > Use the following DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Haven't seen anything in the Event Viewer today.

The issues the OP is facing don't seem to be caused by the computer, local network, or the DNS server to me. Intermittent issues like this usually end up being a line or signal issue on the ISP's side, either the line coming into your neighborhood, or from the closest splitter to your house/apartment. You should call your ISP and tell them that you are experiencing packet loss and have been for a long time. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, brwainer said:

The issues the OP is facing don't seem to be caused by the computer, local network, or the DNS server to me. Intermittent issues like this usually end up being a line or signal issue on the ISP's side, either the line coming into your neighborhood, or from the closest splitter to your house/apartment. You should call your ISP and tell them that you are experiencing packet loss and have been for a long time. 

Packetloss actually would explain alot, sometimes i get packetloss in games. I have also been very skeptical of the router/modem our ISP gave us so maybe it's faulty. I'll contact the ISP as soon as i can thanks!

To anyone that has any DNS issues, add google's or another free DNS as a backup to your own. You can do this in your computer's network settings, by setting your gateway(typically 10.0.0.138 or 192.168.1.1) as the primary DNS, then 8.8.8.8 or another free DNS as the secondary DNS.
This will remove DNS errors due to your computer flushing the DNS or similar issues.

17 hours ago, Holen said:

To anyone that has any DNS issues, add google's or another free DNS as a backup to your own. You can do this in your computer's network settings, by setting your gateway(typically 10.0.0.138 or 192.168.1.1) as the primary DNS, then 8.8.8.8 or another free DNS as the secondary DNS.
This will remove DNS errors due to your computer flushing the DNS or similar issues.

Already have google dns as both primary and secondary. Also tried my ISP's DNS server as primary and google as secondary.

7 hours ago, TheiBurger said:

Already have google dns as both primary and secondary. Also tried my ISP's DNS server as primary and google as secondary.

Right, and in the original post you had already said that. That's why I didn't recommend it to you. The most likely scenario is that you have packet loss. DNS is UDP based, meaning a dropped paxket won't get retried. Everything else you are likely to do will be TCP based, meaning that if packets are being dropped, they get resent and you just think it's being slow.

18 hours ago, TheiBurger said:

Ohh sorry, i missread.
If i were you though i would check to see if it is a hardware based error.
You could check it with changing the modem/router, cables and network card.
Due to what brwainer said, UDP does not send recieved packets, so it may be packets being dropped.
Since you haven't said anything about it, im going to assume that you do not regularly have your pings being dropped(you did write it happened sometimes when you went to random urls).

If it is not hardware based, it could mean that one of the nodes on the way to the ISP is congested.
Which would be highly unlikely for most places, especially a country like denmark.

Which brand of modem/router are you using? I know Telenor's(ISP) last multimodem(zyxel p2812) had manufacturing errors, which is why almost everyone where i lived had to change them once a year or every second year.

1 hour ago, Holen said:

Ohh sorry, i missread.
If i were you though i would check to see if it is a hardware based error.
You could check it with changing the modem/router, cables and network card.
Due to what brwainer said, UDP does not send recieved packets, so it may be packets being dropped.
Since you haven't said anything about it, im going to assume that you do not regularly have your pings being dropped(you did write it happened sometimes when you went to random urls).

If it is not hardware based, it could mean that one of the nodes on the way to the ISP is congested.
Which would be highly unlikely for most places, especially a country like denmark.

Which brand of modem/router are you using? I know Telenor's(ISP) last multimodem(zyxel p2812) had manufacturing errors, which is why almost everyone where i lived had to change them once a year or every second year.

It happens rarely but is annoying so won't it be hard for a technician to diagnose? Also i'm using YouSee and the model is a Netgear C6250EMR. I have also just confirmed it's happening on other computers at my home but they don't notice anything.

2 hours ago, TheiBurger said:

It happens rarely but is annoying so won't it be hard for a technician to diagnose? Also i'm using YouSee and the model is a Netgear C6250EMR. I have also just confirmed it's happening on other computers at my home but they don't notice anything.

Yes, in order to diagnose network congestion you would have to put on a constant ping, and see if it drops packets or when it does it.
They way they are dropped will tell you if it is network congestion or packet loss(as network congestion will take a long time to react, and most likely respond at some point or not drop that many) while if you have a hardware error creating packet loss, the pc would drop them all at the same time.

But i would recommend trying an old router that you know functions(if you have one), or borrow if you need to. Try changing cables to the router(since it happens on more than one computer). And if the problems continues after this, i would call the ISP and tell them the modem has an error. When you do, remember to respond to the phone message they send you afterwards, if they send you one.

When i called Telenor telling them that the zyxel p2812 was shit, and that i knew more than 12 neighbours that has to change them every year, and that we really need a new modem. The message i sent responding to the woman on the call(that she lacked experiance, and unfortunatly had no replacement multimodem) they called me back the day after and told me they would send me one for free :P

So remember, if you call your ISP after checking for network congestion and hardware errors on your end. Give them the feedback, and tell them exactly how you feel.
ISP's usually want's to keep you for as long as they can, and a 1000 crown modem is usually nothing compared to what you pay them yearly so be honest.

2 hours ago, Holen said:

Yes, in order to diagnose network congestion you would have to put on a constant ping, and see if it drops packets or when it does it.
They way they are dropped will tell you if it is network congestion or packet loss(as network congestion will take a long time to react, and most likely respond at some point or not drop that many) while if you have a hardware error creating packet loss, the pc would drop them all at the same time.

But i would recommend trying an old router that you know functions(if you have one), or borrow if you need to. Try changing cables to the router(since it happens on more than one computer). And if the problems continues after this, i would call the ISP and tell them the modem has an error. When you do, remember to respond to the phone message they send you afterwards, if they send you one.

When i called Telenor telling them that the zyxel p2812 was shit, and that i knew more than 12 neighbours that has to change them every year, and that we really need a new modem. The message i sent responding to the woman on the call(that she lacked experiance, and unfortunatly had no replacement multimodem) they called me back the day after and told me they would send me one for free :P

So remember, if you call your ISP after checking for network congestion and hardware errors on your end. Give them the feedback, and tell them exactly how you feel.
ISP's usually want's to keep you for as long as they can, and a 1000 crown modem is usually nothing compared to what you pay them yearly so be honest.

Any tips for testing for network congestion?

I would just put on a ping or tracert that runs every 2nd minute, or something of the likes. if you get it you will see it

1 hour ago, Holen said:

I would just put on a ping or tracert that runs every 2nd minute, or something of the likes. if you get it you will see it

I got a pingtest of it since it happened again today. How do i check for hardware errors? All my network drivers are updated.

On April 29, 2016 at 4:13 AM, TheiBurger said:

If the problem is occurring on your cable line or cable modem, it will show up in the logs and statistics when someone from your ISP looks at it. I'm serious, CALL YOUR ISP, and at least get this part of the problem ruled out or resolved. They will either see issues with your connection or they won't.

11 hours ago, brwainer said:

If the problem is occurring on your cable line or cable modem, it will show up in the logs and statistics when someone from your ISP looks at it. I'm serious, CALL YOUR ISP, and at least get this part of the problem ruled out or resolved. They will either see issues with your connection or they won't.

Can't call them before monday and it's going to cost money if they find nothing.

13 minutes ago, TheiBurger said:

Can't call them before monday and it's going to cost money if they find nothing.

They can pull the logs remotely and if they recommend sending someone out (versus you explicitly requesting it) then there shouldn't be a charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday i called them and they told me they were going to reset the router/modem with their parameters. Will see if this works otherwise i'll just call them again. Thanks everyone!