Re writing mIRC bot into Python..

dark_xzyph3r
Go to solution Solved by fizzlesticks,
16 minutes ago, dark_xzyph3r said:

File "testbot.py", line 12
    print irc.recv ( 4096 )
              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

What version of Python do you have installed? The script is written for Python 2 but it looks like you're trying to run Python 3.

Hey guys, I made a bot recently using mIRC just to get a template down and now I am needing to transfer it to python.. I have no idea where to start.. Any help would be great. I am wanting to build it from the ground up and not use somebody else's bot..

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Just now, mikat said:

do you know how to program in python or do you want to learn that aswell?

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python

Wanting to learn Python too lol. Thats the main reason why I am wanting to re-write it.

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

@mikat And others.. Do you guys happen to know why I am getting errors? http://ideone.com/tfys8G

28 minutes ago, dark_xzyph3r said:

@mikat And others.. Do you guys happen to know why I am getting errors? http://ideone.com/tfys8G

You're trying to run it as Java instead of Python. Also, most online IDEs won't let you use things like sockets and threads.

6 hours ago, fizzlesticks said:

You're trying to run it as Java instead of Python. Also, most online IDEs won't let you use things like sockets and threads.

Well even Python is complaining about it..

11 hours ago, dark_xzyph3r said:

Well even Python is complaining about it..

Try running it on your own computer and if it doesn't work, post the errors.

46 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

Try running it on your own computer and if it doesn't work, post the errors.

print irc.recv ( 4096 )
              ^

16 minutes ago, dark_xzyph3r said:

print irc.recv ( 4096 )
              ^

What version of Python do you have installed? The script is written for Python 2 but it looks like you're trying to run Python 3.

6 hours ago, fizzlesticks said:

Oh.. I thought they were backwards compatible.. My B. How would I convert to Python 3?