Graduated ND Filter size question

Hey guys I am going to buy a Formatt-Hitech filter system and some graduated ND Filters  ( I'm using the 100mm filter setup) and I get the option for a 100x125 set of ND grads  or a 100x150 set. I am assuming that it just makes it longer? Am I right? And if so do I really need the 25 more for the filters? I hope this makes scene.  Thanks 

The longer ones for ND grads help if you want to position the graduation line off center.  The longer length just gives you more room.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I would make sure that I really need them. Some cameras offer so much dynamic range that the graduated filter can be applied in post.

On 4/23/2016 at 0:19 AM, .spider. said:

I would make sure that I really need them. Some cameras offer so much dynamic range that the graduated filter can be applied in post.

Thanks, I have the d7100 and has 13Evs range for landscapes. I was into the mind set that I need Grad ND (would save time in post though) I can use the money that was gonna be for grad NDs on a lee big stopper or whatever.

6 hours ago, link955 said:

Thanks, I have the d7100 and has 13Evs range for landscapes. I was into the mind set that I need Grad ND (would save time in post though) I can use the money that was gonna be for grad NDs on a lee big stopper or whatever.

The question is what scenes are you trying to photograph?  13 stops of dynamic range is really nothing when you consider the fact that on a sunny day, a landscape scene can have more than 20 stops.  Or consider golden hour landscape photos which may produce better results with an actual filter.  Or even sunrise sunset scenes.

And there are various types of ND grads, hard edge, soft edge and reverse edge.  There are also colored ND filters and grads.

Trust me when I say this (as a professional), if you're really serious about landscape photos, it doesn't hurt to have physical filters as part of your kit.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

@ALwin what ND filters would you recommend? I was looking at them for taking long exposure shots during the day. You have a brand or type you like best?

17 hours ago, ALwin said:

The question is what scenes are you trying to photograph?  13 stops of dynamic range is really nothing when you consider the fact that on a sunny day, a landscape scene can have more than 20 stops.  Or consider golden hour landscape photos which may produce better results with an actual filter.  Or even sunrise sunset scenes.

And there are various types of ND grads, hard edge, soft edge and reverse edge.  There are also colored ND filters and grads.

Trust me when I say this (as a professional), if you're really serious about landscape photos, it doesn't hurt to have physical filters as part of your kit.

Thanks, I do love shooting sunsets (my passion) I was always gonna buy ND  grad i just wanted to budget my spending (and buy at a future time) if I can "replicate" the effect in lightroom.

29 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

@ALwin what ND filters would you recommend? I was looking at them for taking long exposure shots during the day. You have a brand or type you like best?

I dont actually have any experience with ND filters yet but i have been looking into it and lees big stopper is most popular and the format hitech firecrest is also pretty popular I hear. **** I know this was directed to Alwin******

1 hour ago, link955 said:

I dont actually have any experience with ND filters yet but i have been looking into it and lees big stopper is most popular and the format hitech firecrest is also pretty popular I hear. **** I know this was directed to Alwin******

No problems man. Sharing knowledge is the best. I see they make the ND filters that are cards but I wonder how they compare to variable nd filters. Using one of the variable ones could mean you only carry one card and have flexibility over how much light you need to block

Variable ND filters are basically two polarizing filters stacked together.  I don't really recommend them for still images, and even for video you need to carefully select which one you buy.

For still images (photography) I prefer using screw on ND filters or square/rectangle slide on ND filters (including various forms of ND grads).

If you can afford to, start with either HiTech Formatt or LEE filters, Singh Ray and Schneider are good but obviously they can be more expensive.  I use both HiTech Formatt (or Formatt Hitech) and LEE, with the LEE filter holders because the thickness of their filters are almost exactly the same.  I have never used Singh Ray or Schneider or other brands before.

For those who like taking photos during sunrise/sunset times, I would recommend having a reverse grad ND filter instead.  Especially if you live near the seaside or coastal areas.  A reverse grad ND filter is a graduated ND filter where the darkest part of the filter starts from the center line (1/2 the filter is transparent) and it gradually becomes more transparent to the other edge.  If you want to take a photo of the sun rising or setting over the horizon of the ocean, the brightest area is the center.

reverseNDgrad-550x367.jpg

Here are a list of photography filters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Round-Filters/ci/16041/N/4026728367

As for replicating ND grad effects in LR, yes you can do it but sometimes it's just better to start off by using an actual filter first and then using the tool in the software, one reason as I said earlier about certain scenes having a lot more dynamic range than your camera.  And it's not possible to duplicate the effect of a 10-20 stop ND filter for long exposure in LR or other software, especially if you want smooth milky water flows.

But as usual, whether to buy a filter or to use one... it is all a matter of personal choice.  If you feel you need to use filters, use them.  Don't let someone else dictate to you what you should or should not do.

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

Variable ND filters are basically two polarizing filters stacked together.  I don't really recommend them for still images, and even for video you need to carefully select which one you buy.

For still images (photography) I prefer using screw on ND filters or square/rectangle slide on ND filters (including various forms of ND grads).

If you can afford to, start with either HiTech Formatt or LEE filters, Singh Ray and Schneider are good but obviously they can be more expensive.  I use both HiTech Formatt (or Formatt Hitech) and LEE, with the LEE filter holders because the thickness of their filters are almost exactly the same.  I have never used Singh Ray or Schneider or other brands before.

For those who like taking photos during sunrise/sunset times, I would recommend having a reverse grad ND filter instead.  Especially if you live near the seaside or coastal areas.  A reverse grad ND filter is a graduated ND filter where the darkest part of the filter starts from the center line (1/2 the filter is transparent) and it gradually becomes more transparent to the other edge.  If you want to take a photo of the sun rising or setting over the horizon of the ocean, the brightest area is the center.

reverseNDgrad-550x367.jpg

Here are a list of photography filters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Round-Filters/ci/16041/N/4026728367

As for replicating ND grad effects in LR, yes you can do it but sometimes it's just better to start off by using an actual filter first and then using the tool in the software, one reason as I said earlier about certain scenes having a lot more dynamic range than your camera.  And it's not possible to duplicate the effect of a 10-20 stop ND filter for long exposure in LR or other software, especially if you want smooth milky water flows.

But as usual, whether to buy a filter or to use one... it is all a matter of personal choice.  If you feel you need to use filters, use them.  Don't let someone else dictate to you what you should or should not do.

Thanks ALwin. One last question, can't you just flip a grad ND filter upside down  and then have a reverse ND? ( in my mind that makes sence)

13 minutes ago, link955 said:

Thanks ALwin. One last question, can't you just flip a grad ND filter upside down  and then have a reverse ND? ( in my mind that makes sence)

If you are looking to capture a scene where the upper half is darker than the bottom half, putting in a regular ND grad upside down (compared to how it would normally be used) makes sense.

But if you are asking if you can just slide half of the filter in (with the filter upside down to get the effect of a reverse grad) I doubt it will be a good idea.  The edge of the filter glass or plastic could appear as some blurred line in the photo.

17 minutes ago, ALwin said:

If you are looking to capture a scene where the upper half is darker than the bottom half, putting in a regular ND grad upside down (compared to how it would normally be used) makes sense.

But if you are asking if you can just slide half of the filter in (with the filter upside down to get the effect of a reverse grad) I doubt it will be a good idea.  The edge of the filter glass or plastic could appear as some blurred line in the photo.

ok thanks! didn't think of the edge 

Is there like a good kit if filters to get. How do you know how many stops you should get to start with.

9 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

Is there like a good kit if filters to get. How do you know how many stops you should get to start with.

1 or 2 stop ND may (I emphasize the word "may") not be necessary, so you may want to start out with 3 stops or more ND filters.

Some brands sell 1, 2 and 3 stop ND filters as a set and the set costs less than buying all three individually.  So...

This might be a good starter kit:

Hard Edge

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811212-REG/Hitech_HT150GKIT5_100_x_150_mm.html

Soft Edge

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811213-REG/Hitech_HT150GKIT6_100mm_Graduated_Neutral_Density.html