Installed another ram dim, now C drrive is almost full?!?!?!?

Pumba217

Hey guys, so i recently upgraded my ram from 8gb to 16gb by adding another corsair vengeance ram dim. everything works perfectly but when i restarted my computer for the first with the new ram, my c drive which had 29gb free now only has 10gb free? there were no other changes made besides adding another ram dim. ive used Ccleaner and gone through everything on my c drive which is a 120gb ssd which is only used for certain programs and my operating system.
If anyone knows whats going on id really appreciate it! cheers!

CPU: i7 4770k  Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 SSD: ADATA 250GB PNY 120gb HDD:2xSeagate 2TB (One is an external HDD) GPU: RTX 2070 Super RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 PSU:Corsair CX-M600w Case: NZXT Phantom 410

its just windows updates and files and such. could be your pagefile. maybe windows downloaded updates while you were away. anyways the size of the windows folder fluctates by about ±15gb or so. you can always download ccleaner and run it to clear any temporary windows files and get back a few gbs

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

ive had windows updates disabled the second i got my pc lol. and i used ccleaner but it only removed a few hundred megabytes

CPU: i7 4770k  Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 SSD: ADATA 250GB PNY 120gb HDD:2xSeagate 2TB (One is an external HDD) GPU: RTX 2070 Super RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 PSU:Corsair CX-M600w Case: NZXT Phantom 410

13 minutes ago, Pumba217 said:

Hey guys, so i recently upgraded my ram from 8gb to 16gb by adding another corsair vengeance ram dim. everything works perfectly but when i restarted my computer for the first with the new ram, my c drive which had 29gb free now only has 10gb free? there were no other changes made besides adding another ram dim. ive used Ccleaner and gone through everything on my c drive which is a 120gb ssd which is only used for certain programs and my operating system.
If anyone knows whats going on id really appreciate it! cheers!

Hibernation will take as much hard drive space as there is ram. By adding 8GB of RAM, it will also take also take an additional 8+ GB of space on the HDD. 

Your page file may also get bigger the more ram you have. 

11 minutes ago, Pumba217 said:

ive had windows updates disabled the second i got my pc lol. and i used ccleaner but it only removed a few hundred megabytes

If you're on windows 10, there is no such thing as disabling updates.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

on windows 7, laptops on windows 10 and i hate it.

It's the pagefile. By default, Windows keeps it at 1,5 times the size of the physical RAM. So if you add 8GB, the pagefile will bloat up by 12GB. 

In case you were wondering, pagefile is the 'file' that windows will start using if you run out of physical RAM. You can reduce the size to whatever you want or you can disable it altogether. Just keep in mind, if for any reason you exceed the 16GB and the pagefile is disabled, your system will crash that instant.

Win + pause to open System

Advanced System Settings from the left side

Advanced tab

Settings... in the 'Performance' group box

Advanced Tab

Change... in the 'Virtual Memory' group box

Uncheck 'Automatically manage....'

Check 'Custom Size'

Type in 2048 in both text boxes. (That's 2GB. You can pick something else too.)

OK, OK, OK, Reboot

3 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

Hibernation will take as much hard drive space as there is ram. By adding 8GB of RAM, it will also take also take an additional 8+ GB of space on the HDD. 

Your page file may also get bigger the more ram you have. 

i think i get what your saying. but shouldnt that mean that my drive should have gone down to 20gb from 28gb, instead of 10gb like it is now?

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

It's the pagefile. By default, Windows keeps it at 1,5 times the size of the physical RAM. So if you add 8GB, the pagefile will bloat up by 12GB. 

In case you were wondering, pagefile is the 'file' that windows will start using if you run out of physical RAM. You can reduce the size to whatever you want or you can disable it altogether. Just keep in mind, if for any reason you exceed the 16GB and the pagefile is disabled, your system will crash that instant.

Win + pause to open System

Advanced System Settings from the left side

Advanced tab

Settings... in the 'Performance' group box

Advanced Tab

Change... in the 'Virtual Memory' group box

Uncheck 'Automatically manage....'

Check 'Custom Size'

Type in 2048 in both text boxes. (That's 2GB. You can pick something else too.)

OK, OK, OK, Reboot

sweet as thanks man ill give it a shot and see what happens!

15 minutes ago, Pumba217 said:

had windows updates disabled

Wait, what the hell?! Why on earth? It's not networked?

1 minute ago, Pumba217 said:

i think i get what your saying. but shouldnt that mean that my drive should have gone down to 20gb from 28gb, instead of 10gb like it is now?

I don't know the exact science behind that as I have always disabled HIbernation. if you don't use it. 

Disabling it is as easy as that. 

Command Prompt , type "powercfg -h off" then reboot

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Wait, what the hell?! Why on earth? It's not networked?

i just disabled my updates as on my old pc windows updates would always cause problems.

6 minutes ago, Pumba217 said:

sweet as thanks man ill give it a shot and see what happens!

just did this man, and it worked! thanks so much, i think i understand why it does it. is basically like a backup for the ram encase this system uses more than there is?

1 minute ago, Pumba217 said:

just did this man, and it worked! thanks so much, i think i understand why it does it. is basically like a backup for the ram encase this system uses more than there is?

Pretty much. When the system runs out of RAM it starts using slower storage as memory. This is usual in low-budget laptops for instance.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

Pretty much. When the system runs out of RAM it starts using slower storage as memory. This is usual in low-budget laptops for instance.

awesome, kept it as 2gb just in case. thanks everyone!

3 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

I don't know the exact science behind that as I have always disabled HIbernation. if you don't use it. 

Disabling it is as easy as that. 

Command Prompt , type "powercfg -h off" then reboot

That's a good way to save SSD space too. I'll dig into the science of it.

RAM is volatile memory. As in, it needs electricity at all times to maintain the data. Hibernation will shut down RAM among most of the rest of the computer. So to keep the data intact, it'll first dump anything you have in RAM to a file on a non-volatile drive such as an SSD. There's a hidden file called hiberfil.sys that is used for that purpose. And when you turn the machine back on, it'll read the data from hiberfile and inject it all back to RAM. While windows is in use and hibernation is off, the file is basically empty but the size of it has to be set to match the size of physical RAM, otherwise it might critically crash trying to write more data than there's space available. So turning hibernation entirely off will disable the hibernation and delete the file.

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

That's a good way to save SSD space too. I'll dig into the science of it.

RAM is volatile memory. As in, it needs electricity at all times to maintain the data. Hibernation will shut down RAM among most of the rest of the computer. So to keep the data intact, it'll first dump anything you have in RAM to a file on a non-volatile drive such as an SSD. There's a hidden file called hiberfil.sys that is used for that purpose. And when you turn the machine back on, it'll read the data from hiberfile and inject it all back to RAM. While windows is in use and hibernation is off, the file is basically empty but the size of it has to be set to match the size of physical RAM, otherwise it might critically crash trying to write more data than there's space available. So turning hibernation entirely off will disable the hibernation and delete the file.

oh wow i had no idea about this. and i mainly use hibernation... ill look into this more.

7 minutes ago, Pumba217 said:

Exactly. It's basically just an additional stick of RAM.

Regarding the updates, you should really install at least all security updates. antiviral/ -malware programs and firewalls can only do so much and they're by no means perfect. And they only detect viruses, and to a degree disable and remove them, but they do nothing to plug the security holes the viruses look to exploit. That's what the security updates are for. Assuming you've at least updated your antivirus and firewall, you are still basically sitting pants-less in pool of poop. You can manually push the bacteria away all day long but so long as you have tiny cuts on your ass and you don't tend to them, you're at high risk and it's only a matter of time the infections hit you.

19 hours ago, Naeaes said:

Exactly. It's basically just an additional stick of RAM.

Regarding the updates, you should really install at least all security updates. antiviral/ -malware programs and firewalls can only do so much and they're by no means perfect. And they only detect viruses, and to a degree disable and remove them, but they do nothing to plug the security holes the viruses look to exploit. That's what the security updates are for. Assuming you've at least updated your antivirus and firewall, you are still basically sitting pants-less in pool of poop. You can manually push the bacteria away all day long but so long as you have tiny cuts on your ass and you don't tend to them, you're at high risk and it's only a matter of time the infections hit you.

hahahah ill definitely make sure that the essentials are installed, cheers mate