Unable to boot to USB?

LightCode Gaming

So I acquired some free PC's from my college (legally) and they have an unusual boot up; it starts by saying the college's name and then asks for a pw (which I have and it accepts).

It allowed me to get into the boot menu, and I picked the USB, but it still booted into HDD. I removed the HDD, tried again, and it refused to boot.

Any ideas what I could do differently to get around this? Also, how do I flash a MOBO's bios if I cannot access windows enough to do so?

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

Are you sure the usb media is bootable? Have you used it before and/or how did you make it?

You could try resetting the bios (pull the "watch" battery) 

I don't think you need to go about changing the bios yet

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

8 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Are you sure the usb media is bootable? Have you used it before and/or how did you make it?

You could try resetting the bios (pull the "watch" battery) 

I don't think you need to go about changing the bios yet

Tried the battery, tried the reset bridge, and I just made the USB bootable using UUI. No matter what option I choose for the boot device, it always defaults to the HDD.

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, LightCode Gaming said:

Tried the battery, tried the reset bridge, and I just made the USB bootable using UUI. No matter what option I choose for the boot device, it always defaults to the HDD.

ah, well if you're sure the usb is good then you may have to just replace the bios

It can vary with motherboards, you may want a new thread and include your mobo but here's a general starter

http://www.wikihow.com/Reflash-BIOS

Just hook the hdd to another pc and make it bootable with windows(wintousb) or the bios 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

14 hours ago, RedWulf said:

ah, well if you're sure the usb is good then you may have to just replace the bios

It can vary with motherboards, you may want a new thread and include your mobo but here's a general starter

http://www.wikihow.com/Reflash-BIOS

Just hook the hdd to another pc and make it bootable with windows(wintousb) or the bios 

Will try that this weekend when I have time.