Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ethernet over displayport

Pandora

so i want to use dual nic to do teaming on my LAN. but my mobo only has one ethernet port. i remember hearing somewhere that ethernet was in the displayport spec. i did some looking around and i have not been able to find anything about that. 
anyway i was wondering if anyone knows anything about that and knew if i could use teaming in that fashion. 
i cant use an ethernet card on my system because i run haswell and sli unfortunately.

basically im asking if displayport can carry ethernet in its spec and if i could team.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

i dont know about displayport being used as LAN, and frankly it sounds kind of ridiculous

but i guess you can grab one of these

Spoiler

DUB1312A1ImageLSide.png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

HDMI can carry ethernet, but DP does not. Ethernet over HDMI almost certainly can't be used for teaming. Not easily, anyway. 

Do you just not have enough slots for a PCI NIC? You should still be able to use one, I believe it should use the chipset's PCI lanes, not the CPU's. 

EDIT: Also, how are you planning on using teaming/link aggregation on the local network? Is it going directly to another machine? To do it, every bit of hardware involved needs to support a link aggregation protocol. 

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i dont know about displayport being used as LAN, and frankly it sounds kind of ridiculous

but i guess you can grab one of these

Hide contents

DUB1312A1ImageLSide.png

ya i know it sounds super janky. but i thought it would be a cool test to see if i could do it. i would go for the usb 3 to ethernet connector but i am using all of my usb ports already and have already filled up my usb 3 hub.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

HDMI can carry ethernet, but DP does not. Ethernet over HDMI almost certainly can't be used for teaming. Not easily, anyway. 

Do you just not have enough slots for a PCI NIC? You should still be able to use one, I believe it should use the chipset's PCI lanes, not the CPU's. 

technically i do have the slots necessary im just not sure about the lanes. i think the chipset lanes are being used by the sata express hub or something.

also i might try the hdmi thing.

1 minute ago, thorbrantly101 said:

technically i do have the slots necessary im just not sure about the lanes. i think the chipset lanes are being used by the sata express hub or something.

You could buy a cheap NIC and test to see if it works. If not, you can likely just return it. If it does work, then you could spend some more on a good NIC that supports something like LACP.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

You could buy a cheap NIC and test to see if it works. If not, you can likely just return it. If it does work, then you could spend some more on a good NIC that supports something like LACP.

ima try that. i looked into the hdmi spec and it would be the most janky system ever. 

1 minute ago, thorbrantly101 said:

ima try that. i looked into the hdmi spec and it would be the most janky system ever. 

The only use for ethernet over HDMI that I can think of is to connect a smart TV to the internet over wire from a receiver without having to run another ethernet cable to the TV. I've never actually seen someone utilise it. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The only use for ethernet over HDMI that I can think of is to connect a smart TV to the internet over wire from a receiver without having to run another ethernet cable to the TV. I've never actually seen someone utilise it. 

ooh i just had a better idea. im going to get a thunderbolt card. since i can 100% do that. i already have a thunderbolt to ethernet converter. and thunderbolt is awesome :D.