Build tips/advice if any

XIPure

Hello there!

I'm here today because I need some advice based on this build > http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Whh6vK 

I want the PC especially to perform things like this:

-<75%> Have great FPS in games (E.g... BF4, GTA-V-ONLINE, Skyrim (When it's modded, not vanilla..) as well as other Steam/Origin games)

-<10%> Render objects and animations (E.g.. 200 frame-long animation) within CINEMA 4D.

-<10%> Edit and render videos via Adobe After Effects or Sony Vegas

-<5%> Other.

NOTE: The percentages are there to indicate what I would be doing most of the time with this PC:P 

EXTRA NOTES:

-The CPU compared to others is a good CPU based on what I've read but I'm not 100% sure for things like FPS in certain games.

-I do need 4TB but >will definitely consider an SSD< in the next few months as I'm not insanely concerned about loading times.

-The CPU Cooler I might change back to a 212 Evo but am not sure.

-The motherboard I might change to this http://bit.ly/1WfGexQ but am not sure yet again.

-The GPU I might change back to this http://bit.ly/1Vn5N13 (For appearance purposes in the case and performance if effected at all(?)) and because I would prefer a 980 TI and nothing below that.

-I do prefer a optical drive just because I tend to watch DVDs here and there haha!

After doing some research and having a discussion or two I have come up with this kind of build but was wondering if it will do what I need it to do. And also for anyone who lives in the UK, could they recommend somewhere that sells the PC-Components brand new but cheaper if possible? My build is kind of expensive at the moment :/.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, XIPure said:

The CPU Cooler I might change back to a 212 Evo but am not sure.

if you wanna overclock, i recommend against 212 evo, it cant handle overclocked chips that well

3 minutes ago, XIPure said:

The GPU I might change back to this http://bit.ly/1Vn5N13 (For appearance purposes in the case and performance if effected at all(?)) and because I would prefer a 980 TI and nothing below that.

dont get reference cooler unless you're building in a confined space with minimal airflow

also, i recommend waiting for pascal before pulling the trigger

other than that, build looks great

though im a bit of phobic towards dark rock pro 3, because

Spoiler

it blocked my ram slot...

12642736_1139492836069083_23954039571609

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, XIPure said:

What's your display set up? I really hope you don't plan on using a 980ti with a 1080p 60hz display.

In any case new GPUs are coming in a few months and it would be better for you to buy a mid range GPU now as the saved money will get you 15-20% more performance shortly, plus the 390 gives you 8gbs of VRAM for productivity 

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you wanna overclock, i recommend against 212 evo, it cant handle overclocked chips that well

dont get reference cooler unless you're building in a confined space with minimal airflow

also, i recommend waiting for pascal before pulling the trigger

other than that, build looks great

though im a bit of phobic towards dark rock pro 3, because

Hide contents

it blocked my ram slot...

12642736_1139492836069083_23954039571609

Hey again Moonzy!

I don't know how to overclock so yeah I might go with the 212 Evo.

Is there any way that this could be cheaper but still give really FPS/Render times? I keep thinking things like the CPU, RAM, GPU maybe, and case could be cheaper but don't know.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your display set up? I really hope you don't plan on using a 980ti with a 1080p 60hz display.

In any case new GPUs are coming in a few months and it would be better for you to buy a mid range GPU now as the saved money will get you 15-20% more performance shortly, plus the 390 gives you 8gbs of VRAM for productivity 

I will go with 3 24" monitors (Don't know what specific one x3)

OR..

One 27" monitor

Just now, XIPure said:

I will go with 3 24" monitors (Don't know what specific one x3)

OR..

One 27" monitor

So then what's the total budget with the displays?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Hey again Moonzy!

I don't know how to overclock so yeah I might go with the 212 Evo.

Is there any way that this could be cheaper but still give really FPS/Render times? I keep thinking things like the CPU, RAM, GPU maybe, and case could be cheaper but don't know.

to make it cheaper

1) remove the dvd drive, and download the things you need like the modern age human `-` stop being in the stone age (jk)

2) get windows from cheaper sources like G2A or kinguin or subreddit microsoftsoftwareswap

3) get a cheaper psu like EVGA G2 or P2 series psu, 750W for more headroom, 650W is fine too though

nothing much can be done to reduce the price tbh

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Streetguru said:

So then what's the total budget with the displays?

For the PC and displays? Um probably

I was hoping around £1400 but it might be around £1700 maximum I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

to make it cheaper

1) remove the dvd drive, and download the things you need like the modern age human `-` stop being in the stone age (jk)

2) get windows from cheaper sources like G2A or kinguin or subreddit microsoftsoftwareswap

3) get a cheaper psu like EVGA G2 or P2 series psu, 750W for more headroom, 650W is fine too though

nothing much can be done to reduce the price tbh

Hmm ok, Thanks Moonzy!

A Skylake build can save you some £££'s. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£286.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£104.72 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£55.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£55.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£68.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£169.78 @ Misco UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (£518.27 @ More Computers) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£120.54 @ More Computers) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£76.99 @ Novatech) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  (£11.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (£73.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Other: Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler (£29.99)
Total: £1573.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 18:20 BST+0100

17 minutes ago, XIPure said:

For the PC and displays? Um probably

Then start here it inculdes a 27" 4K IPS free-sync display, though for productivity you're going to want to find a larger 4k display probably a korean one. Would be better to invest in the display rather than your GPU, and you're going to want to go X99 over skylake.

Also don't buy an OEM key if you're going to buy a windows key as they only work once, and I'd avoid grey market keys as they may be revoked at any time.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jckDbv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jckDbv/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£329.99 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£26.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£189.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£51.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£129.10 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  (£249.95 @ More Computers)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£33.77 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£76.99 @ Novatech)
Monitor: LG 27MU67 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  (£359.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1448.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 18:19 BST+0100

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Then start here it inculdes a 27" 4K IPS free-sync display, though for productivity you're going to want to find a larger 4k display probably a korean one. Would be better to invest in the display rather than your GPU, and you're going to want to go X99 over skylake.

Also don't buy an OEM key if you're going to buy a windows key as they only work once, and I'd avoid grey market keys as they may be revoked at any time.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jckDbv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jckDbv/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£329.99 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£26.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£189.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£51.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£129.10 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  (£249.95 @ More Computers)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£33.77 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£76.99 @ Novatech)
Monitor: LG 27MU67 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  (£359.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1448.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 18:19 BST+0100

Hmm I see, very interesting choice of components =O

I forgot to mention Streetguru, this is my current Monitor which I would use for this PC > http://amzn.to/1SyhAt0 All of the specifications should be listed.

I hate to be insanely picky but was just looking at a video or two on YouTube which showed the 4790K and 5820K. Would the 4790K still give really good FPS as well as render-times for videos? I don't know if it's good for video rendering or not. Could be a possibility..?

11 minutes ago, XIPure said:

Far as the CPUs go the 5820K has about an i3's worth of extra performance, except you can overclock it and getting it to 4ghz would be really easy and doable on the Hyper 212, and at that point it'll blow away the 8 thread i7s pretty handily, and you get the higher end motherboard platform. If you wanted a less expensive CPU you'd probably want to go for an i7 6700 as paying extra for overclocking on skylake really isn't worth it when the 5820K usually costs the same as the 6700K

Guess that display is out then

Go for a high end gaming secondary display then maybe, this one is 1440p 144hz and IPS, with free-sync again naturally

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-xf270hu

G-sync version would be about 120 more

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-xb270hubprz

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Far as the CPUs go the 5820K has about an i3's worth of extra performance, except you can overclock it and getting it to 4ghz would be really easy and doable on the Hyper 212, and at that point it'll blow away the 8 thread i7s pretty handily, and you get the higher end motherboard platform. If you wanted a less expensive CPU you'd probably want to go for an i7 6700 as paying extra for overclocking on skylake really isn't worth it when the 5820K usually costs the same as the 6700K

Guess that display is out then

Go for a high end gaming secondary display then maybe, this one is 1440p 144hz and IPS, with free-sync again naturally

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-xf270hu

G-sync version would be about 120 more

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-xb270hubprz

Wow really about the CPUs? I'm kind of surprised by that in a good way =O I never knew :P 

How about this? This I think would be really good:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/QkzvwP 

NOTES:

-Changed the RAM

-Added a optical drive (Not necessary at all but it's pretty damn cheap and because I tend to watch a ton of DVDs lol)

-Changed the monitor to the Acer XF270HU

-The OS (Operating System) I will buy from somewhere else, not sure yet.

-The CPU's price is from Amazon-UK

And as for the case... do you know any good looking ones with a window either in the same shape as the Corsair Air 540 or..?

Oh and the price as it is, is entirely fine with Me! :D 

28 minutes ago, XIPure said:

Most people just pick up windows in a back alley for free

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Most people just pick up windows in a back alley for free

Haha yeah, I agree.

Is that build pretty good though? or..?

9 minutes ago, XIPure said:

Haha yeah, I agree.

Is that build pretty good though? or..?

Should be fine just grab a 240gb SSD when you can and make sure not to put all 4TB of your drive into a single partition.

Probably this one from adata

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp550ss3240gmc

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Should be fine just grab a 240gb SSD when you can and make sure not to put all 4TB of your drive into a single partition.

Probably this one from adata

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp550ss3240gmc

What do you mean about the hard drive? I don't know/understand very much about partitioning :/ 

As for the SSD, I might get one that's more than 240GB but yeah I will get one soon.

Just now, XIPure said:

What do you mean about the hard drive? I don't know/understand very much about partitioning :/ 

As for the SSD, I might get one that's more than 240GB but yeah I will get one soon.

You aren't going to want a 4TB block of data on the drive, you'll probably want to split it up into 1TB partitions, maybe even making a 250gb or so partition for the OS, that way it runs a bit faster

You can do partitioning in the windows installer, but I'd probably make a Gparted USB and boot from that when you get everything to create the partitions.

You'll want to make the Partition Table ms-dos, and all the partitions ntfs for windows. You'll see all that when you get there

http://gparted.org/download.php

You can use rufus to make the bootable USB, and the windows bootable USB

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You aren't going to want a 4TB block of data on the drive, you'll probably want to split it up into 1TB partitions, maybe even making a 250gb or so partition for the OS, that way it runs a bit faster

You can do partitioning in the windows installer, but I'd probably make a Gparted USB and boot from that when you get everything to create the partitions.

You'll want to make the Partition Table ms-dos, and all the partitions ntfs for windows. You'll see all that when you get there

http://gparted.org/download.php

You can use rufus to make the bootable USB, and the windows bootable USB

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Ohhh I see. That makes more sense!

As stupid as this might sound but my current AMD-PC which I'm currently using is using a 2TB HDD and I don't think(?) that it's partitioned and to be fair, it's kinda nice having 4TB in one place so it might be better but yeah Streetguru I can definitely see what you're suggesting :P Thanks btw for that informative explanation.

Ohhh I see. That makes more sense!

As stupid as this might sound but my current AMD-PC which I'm currently using is using a 2TB HDD and I don't think(?) that it's partitioned and to be fair, it's kinda nice having 4TB in one place so it might be better but yeah Streetguru I can definitely see what you're suggesting :P Thanks btw for that informative explanation.

Like if the primary partition is your only partition, and it gets corrupted, it's less of a pain to recover the data on any secondary partitions that may not have been corrupted, you'd be able to save that data as normal and would only have to use advanced tools for the small primary one.

But that's just preparing for the worst

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Like if the primary partition is your only partition, and it gets corrupted, it's less of a pain to recover the data on any secondary partitions that may not have been corrupted, you'd be able to save that data as normal and would only have to use advanced tools for the small primary one.

But that's just preparing for the worst

Lol yeah, I agree.

Thank you again for the tips/advice :) I really appreciate it man! Just gotta save up now! xD 

10 minutes ago, XIPure said:

Lol yeah, I agree.

Thank you again for the tips/advice :) I really appreciate it man! Just gotta save up now! xD 

Wait, save up? how long is that going to be? New parts are going to be coming out soon anyways

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Wait, save up? how long is that going to be? New parts are going to be coming out soon anyways

Yeah :/ probably a month or two :( 

3 minutes ago, XIPure said:

Yeah :/ probably a month or two :( 

Well might be out by then anyways, Broadwell EP, and Polaris

Spoiler