Planning to Build New PC (Need HALP!)

SandroMK

Hello guys, im new here and also new at building Gaming PC. I have watched shittons of videos about building gaming PC and so on, but those ones were very expensive. I want some suggestions from guys who really know what to buy and how to do it. here is my list of components for my next PC ( Note that i want to be in this price range 1k - 1.5k $). 

Motherboard : ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboards ( about this motherboard i'm not pretty sure , was thinking to put same ASUS Z170 PRO gaming, or Z170A Krait Gaming 3X. idk srsly. On this one i really want Suggestion)

CPU: Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 (I Might get 16gb more to make total 32gb and i don't know even if i need this much ram ( I'm IT guy so i run VM's at work , so i might do at home to practice on Windows Server and etc.)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ GOLD, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular (I'm not sure about this one also. do i really need this much watts? i have asked many people and they told me , better get more watts )

Hard Drive: I got Kingston Fury SSD 240GB in my old PC and i can put it in new PC ( Money economy :d)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 ( Or should i wait for new Video cards to come out and wait till price drops on old ones. Also i was thinking to buy Used EVGA GTX 780 on eBay, but i'm not pretty sure about this. Once i bought EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB video card on eBay and received Damaged item and since that, GPU has some flickering issues. Need suggestion so bad)

CPU Cooler : Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance or will be EVO 212 enough ?

PC Case : Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case

Monitor: ASUS VX239H ( Might add one more same monitor in future)

I was choosing these components for a while, and before deciding what to buy 100% , wanted to hear from you also guys. I have no idea about AMD CPU's or GPU's and any suggestion will be accepted :D that's why i'm here.

For 1080p gaming this build will be good i suppose. Sorry for my English and Thank you guys for reading this ! 

Thanks for Advice!

Also forgot to mention that, I want to Overclock my CPU and also GPU ( If i buy EVGA GTX 780 one)

I get this message on the site 

Wunschliste nicht vorhanden

The build looks nice. However, while the PSU is one of very high quality, 850W is way too much for a GTX 970. It'll consume about 350W max under full load. You'll be fine with the 550W variant of the EVGA G2.

The GTX 970 is definitely the best choice out of the three.

I take it you're gonna overclock? I'm more of an air cooler guy, so I'll just pop in my recommendation of the Cryorig H7 if you're going for a moderate overclock. If you want a higher overclock, the H100i should be well suited for that.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

12 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The build looks nice. However, while the PSU is one of very high quality, 850W is way too much for a GTX 970. It'll consume about 350W max under full load. You'll be fine with the 550W variant of the EVGA G2.

I take it you're gonna overclock? I'm more of an air cooler guy, so I'll just pop in my recommendation of the Cryorig H7 if you're going for a moderate overclock. If you want a higher overclock, the H100i should be well suited for that.

Thanks a lot man !

I have never done Overclocking yet , have to learn it ( from Linus ofc :D ) and i think ill keep with H100i, what if i go further.

I agree with PSU but i don't get, why people buy those 1000w PSU's srsly. I have seen so many builds with 550 - 600w PSU's on gtx970 . Ill keep it in mind

Thanks again.

And about motherboard, which one i should really choose? Its more complicated for me than other parts.

Dammit, forgot to quote , sorry for double post

3 minutes ago, SandroMK said:

Thanks a lot man !

I have never done Overclocking yet , have to learn it ( from Linus ofc  ) and i think ill keep with H100i, what if i go further.

I agree with PSU but i don't get, why people buy those 1000w PSU's srsly. I have seen so many builds with 550 - 600w PSU's on gtx970 . Ill keep it in mind

Thanks again.

And about motherboard, which one i should really choose? Its more complicated for me than other parts.

Dammit, forgot to quote , sorry for double post

People just want to make sure they have enough power. Can't blame them, it's pretty easy to get paranoid when you're building a PC.

All of them seem to be identical feature-wise. Get the one that suits your build best in terms of looks.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

19 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

So in my case to make sure that i have enough power, EVGA 700 B2 would be nice huh?

and is EVGA making good PSU's? can it be trust? i mean does it really gives 700watt from 700 B2 PSU ?

Just now, SandroMK said:

So in my case to make sure that i have enough power, EVGA 700 B2 would be nice huh?

and is EVGA making good PSU's? can it be trust? i mean does it really gives 700watt from 700 B2 PSU ?

The quality of the G2 is arguably better than that of the B2 series. Not saying the B2 series are bad, but just putting it out there.

No, you don't need a 700W PSU, just stick with the 550W. It's already more than enough. 700W would be able to run two 980Tis in SLI.

EVGA makes great PSUs but at the same time, they also make some bad PSUs. The B2 series are good quality though. Just avoid their NEX series and *00B series.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The quality of the G2 is arguably better than that of the B2 series. Not saying the B2 series are bad, but just putting it out there.

No, you don't need a 700W PSU, just stick with the 550W. It's already more than enough. 700W would be able to run two 980Tis in SLI.

EVGA makes great PSUs but at the same time, they also make some bad PSUs. The B2 series are good quality though. Just avoid their NEX series and *00B series.

Thanks for your advice man ! 

One more question. Does ram speed really matter? i mean, the difference between 2133 Mhz rams and 3000-3200 Mhz rams ?

1 hour ago, SandroMK said:

Thanks for your advice man ! 

One more question. Does ram speed really matter? i mean, the difference between 2133 Mhz rams and 3000-3200 Mhz rams ?

Yes, it does. I'm not too knowledgable about RAM but I believe that your minimum framerate will be alot higher in CPU-bound scenarios.

Spoiler

On 21. april 2016 at 2:04 PM, SandroMK said:

Here is an explanation which helped me a lot, in understanding how ram works and how to choose good ram.

(I take my "knowledge" basically from the linked youtube video, tell me if I am incorrect.. )

If you rather watch the explanation: 

Frequency (ram Mhz):

Frequency, measured in Mhz, decides how many cycles/actions the RAM can perform in 1 second.

Example: A ram chip with 3000Mhz, performs 3 billion cycles in 1 second (1 MHz= 1000 per second).

In periode: Devide 1 with the frequency number, to get the time it takes for one action to perform.

Example: 1/3000Mhz = 0,33 Nano Seconds .

CAS Latency (CL):

The CL "value" (CAS Latency/Timing) determines how many clock-cycles it takes from the RAM-Stick(s) get a request, until it sends it back. Example: CL 14 meads it takes 14 clock-cycles from the ram gets the request and until it sends it back again.

What this means eventually: RAM Performance/speed:

By multiplying the CAS Latency with the time it takes to perform one action ("value" Nano Seconds), you get the actual performance speed of that specific ram-stick.

Example 1:

3000 Mhz Cl15
Time per actions = 0,33 nano seconds.

Actions per request = 15 clock-cycles.

Performance speed: 

0,33 * 15 = 4,95 nano seconds.

Example 2:

4000 Mhz CL 20

Time per actions = 0,25 nano seconds.

Actions per request = 20 clock cycles.

Performance speed:

0,25 * 20 = 5 nano seconds.

Example 1 and 2 are basically the same performance speed, all though it might seem like example 2 offers greater speed at first.

DDR4 compatible components (meaning both Motherboard and Memory sticks), are able to draw advantage of higher number of Mhz, compared to DDR3.

Based on nothing, i would recommend you not to go bananas on the frequency, rather go with cheaper ram with average performance speed, and later upgrade to what shows to be the sweet-spot for "future" gaming/computing. 

Here is a table of performance speed copied from youtube link on top (old values in table, just to help a little)

Skjermbilde 2016-04-21 kl. 17.50.20.png

On 4/21/2016 at 8:16 PM, IslandStone said:

Here is an explanation which helped me a lot, in understanding how ram works and how to choose good ram.

(I take my "knowledge" basically from the linked youtube video, tell me if I am incorrect.. )

If you rather watch the explanation: 

Frequency (ram Mhz):

Frequency, measured in Mhz, decides how many cycles/actions the RAM can perform in 1 second.

Example: A ram chip with 3000Mhz, performs 3 billion cycles in 1 second (1 MHz= 1000 per second).

In periode: Devide 1 with the frequency number, to get the time it takes for one action to perform.

Example: 1/3000Mhz = 0,33 Nano Seconds .

CAS Latency (CL):

The CL "value" (CAS Latency/Timing) determines how many clock-cycles it takes from the RAM-Stick(s) get a request, until it sends it back. Example: CL 14 meads it takes 14 clock-cycles from the ram gets the request and until it sends it back again.

What this means eventually: RAM Performance/speed:

By multiplying the CAS Latency with the time it takes to perform one action ("value" Nano Seconds), you get the actual performance speed of that specific ram-stick.

Example 1:

3000 Mhz Cl15
Time per actions = 0,33 nano seconds.

Actions over request = 15 clock-cycles.

Performance speed: 

0,33 * 15 = 4,95 nano seconds.

Example 2:

4000 Mhz CL 20

Time per actions = 0,25 nano seconds.

Actions per request = 20 clock cycles.

Performance speed:

0,25 * 20 = 5 nano seconds.

Example 1 and 2 are basically the same performance speed, all though it might seem like example 2 offers greater speed at first.

DDR4 compatible components (meaning both Motherboard and Memory sticks), are able to draw advantage of higher number of Mhz, compared to DDR3.

Based on nothing, i would recommend you not to go bananas on the frequency, rather go with cheaper ram with average performance speed, and later upgrade to what shows to be the sweet-spot for "future" gaming/computing. 

Here is a table of performance speed copied from youtube link on top (old values in table, just to help a little)

Skjermbilde 2016-04-21 kl. 17.50.20.png

Thanks for useful post, helped me quite well.