Community computer class

I have been tasked with teaching several weeks of local community computer class. I also have to come up material to teach the class. what i need is ideas for topics to teach the class any help would be helpfully.

Is this a programming class or is it a hardware class or just computers in general and how to use them?

Wow, someone just pointed at you and said "YOU, you look teachery, teach a class for us"...

Do you have experience?

Computers are SUPER broad, do you have anything in mind?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

general computer classes, and i have help teach computer classes in the past

Hardware overview what this does and how it does it. How to keep a fast and clean pc. Basic networking.?? What are you looking to teach? 

what a computer is, what is in the box, how to be safe on the internet

5 minutes ago, potatoproduction said:

Is that even a word

On a more serious note, who is attending the class (as in age group) and what is it generally for? Programming, computer hardware, general usage?

3 minutes ago, Mr_Cool59 said:

what a computer is, what is in the box, how to be safe on the internet

I think you just answed your question 

I'd start with basics of how a computer functions nothing fancy. Just explaining what a CPU or Processor, what RAM is and how it is different from what your storage device does (nothing too indepth just basics so they understand it better). Also what the common ports are on a computer generally focusing on USB, Ethernet, HDMI/DVI and analog audio stuff.

I'd also cover Operating Systems what they do at their core. Different Operating Systems, Windows, OSX & Linux but keep the focus on Windows (unless they are using Macs primarily)

After that I'd get into simple things in windows like navigating the UI, what the task bar is, what File Explorer is but before that explaining what a program is and what they can do. Also using external storage, primarily USB Thumb drives which most people will likely have to use at some point.

These things can be spread over multiple sessions or can be covered quickly. I dunno how many sessions you have haha.

I'd dedicate a whole session however to the internet, what it is, how to use it. What it requires, how to navigate it. Safety, etc...

Apart from that those are the real basics. I'd suggest having a test on paper with some basic things nothing fancy. and if you have the time maybe have each "student"

perform some simple tasks on windows, moving a file to a usb drive for example. Something they may have to do.

That's my suggestion hope it helps get the juices flowing ! I don't know what your exact demographic is but I oriented it more towards 40+.

Good Luck !

Edit: Just an after thought you could also use some Tech Quickie videos to help if you want to preface a topic quickly or end a topic with something rapid fire, or just to give another perspective on things.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads