Budget PC General suggestions

No.

In my humble opinion, if you want to buy everything new you are better off with an G4400 or i3-6100 processor, which both have internal graphics and use an 1151 socket motherboard with ddr4 memory, then a system based on a amd-processor. The reasoning behind it is that you can always buy a better processor later on (maybe for half the price if second hand) or add a descent gpu, but only when she really needs it. The upgrade-ability of the 1151 socket is way higher then of any amd system. For most people, 2 core processors without hyperthreading are still fine, I myself have two cores without hyper-threading and for normal daily use it works perfectly (even 99% of the games on the market are still playable with a dualcore processor).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $370.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 04:20 EDT-0400

I assembled this system for you based on upgradeability, silence and the cheap G4400 processor with internal graphics:

- The mobo has 4 memslots, m2-slot and a descent amount of usb ports, so it should pass the test of upgrade-ability.

- A silent case with the 352 silencio, iirc it has soundproofing and a cardreader (most cases do not have that). Imho this case has the highest bang4buck ratio currently available because nobody likes a noisy computer.

- A silent case asks for a cpu cooler that can operate with less decibels then the intel stock cooler. I chose the Hyper TX3 cpu cooler because users grade it highly and it is cheap, which should be more silent then the intel stockcooler. It also handles most quadcore intel cpu's with ease (again, upgrade-ability and bang4buck is key in this build).

- I selected a cheap 240GB SSD, for normal usage it should be sufficient and silent. If she ever needs more space simply add an m2-ssd, harddisk or another ssd.
- The G4400-system only needs 200Watt under full load according to outervision psu calculator. Still, I chose a semi-modular 450Watt PSU based on upgrade-ability that can handle c6/c7 sleepstates (an intel processor ability/setting to save even more energy). In this way you could upgrade to a intel i5-6500 cpu+32GB memory+nvidia 970 gpu or better in the future without the need for a psu with more wattage.

- PSU and the case are in a slightly higher pricerange then the other components because imho both should stand the test of upgrade-ability and be silent.

You still have $80 to spare. You could put those in your piggybank for the next upgrade (cpu, memory, extra storage  but probably a gpu). Or you could use it to install an i3-6100 if you think a 2-cores hyperthreading cpu is worth $60 more then a 2 core cpu without hyperthreading. Imho you are better off saving that  cash for an upgrade to a intel quadcore i5-6500 processor instead of a i3-6100 (as $80,-- almost gets you halfway there, but only if she really needs more cores+threads).

Add/edit: No matter what you go for on this budget, you will always have downsides to a build. Atleast with the 1151 socket you have the ability to upgrade those downsides away, amd does not offer that possibility.

7 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

No.

In my humble opinion, if you want to buy everything new you are better off with an G4400 or i3-6100 processor, which both have internal graphics and use an 1151 socket motherboard with ddr4 memory, then a system based on a amd-processor. The reasoning behind it is that you can always buy a better processor later on (maybe for half the price if second hand) or add a descent gpu, but only when she really needs it. The upgrade-ability of the 1151 socket is way higher then of any amd system. For most people, 2 core processors without hyperthreading are still fine, I myself have two cores without hyper-threading and for normal daily use it works perfectly (even 99% of the games on the market are still playable with a dualcore processor).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $370.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 04:20 EDT-0400

I assembled this system for you based on upgradeability, silence and the cheap G4400 processor with internal graphics:

- The mobo has 4 memslots, m2-slot and a descent amount of usb ports, so it should pass the test of upgrade-ability.

- A silent case with the 352 silencio, iirc it has soundproofing and a cardreader (most cases do not have that). Imho this case has the highest bang4buck ratio currently available because nobody likes a noisy computer.

- A silent case asks for a cpu cooler that can operate with less decibels then the intel stock cooler. I chose the Hyper TX3 cpu cooler because users grade it highly and it is cheap, which should be more silent then the intel stockcooler. It also handles most quadcore intel cpu's with ease (again, upgrade-ability and bang4buck is key in this build).

- I selected a cheap 240GB SSD, for normal usage it should be sufficient and silent. If she ever needs more space simply add an m2-ssd, harddisk or another ssd.
- The G4400-system only needs 200Watt under full load according to outervision psu calculator. Still, I chose a semi-modular 450Watt PSU based on upgrade-ability that can handle c6/c7 sleepstates (an intel processor ability/setting to save even more energy). In this way you could upgrade to a intel i5-6500 cpu+32GB memory+nvidia 970 gpu or better in the future without the need for a psu with more wattage.

- PSU and the case are in a slightly higher pricerange then the other components because imho both should stand the test of upgrade-ability and be silent.

You still have $80 to spare. You could put those in your piggybank for the next upgrade (cpu, memory, extra storage  but probably a gpu). Or you could use it to install an i3-6100 if you think a 2-cores hyperthreading cpu is worth $60 more then a 2 core cpu without hyperthreading. Imho you are better off saving that  cash for an upgrade to a intel quadcore i5-6500 processor instead of a i3-6100 (as $80,-- almost gets you halfway there, but only if she really needs more cores+threads).

Add/edit: No matter what you go for on this budget, you will always have downsides to a build. Atleast with the 1151 socket you have the ability to upgrade those downsides away, amd does not offer that possibility.

Whoa, you really went all out on this! That looks like a way better build than what I had originally put together (which is exactly what I came here for). I especially like the choice of switching to a low capacity SSD considering she uses like no local storage. That case looks cool as well. Thanks!

Edit: I will have to add in a wifi card as well, but still a really good bet.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

4 hours ago, Spork829 said:

Whoa, you really went all out on this! That looks like a way better build than what I had originally put together (which is exactly what I came here for). I especially like the choice of switching to a low capacity SSD considering she uses like no local storage. That case looks cool as well. Thanks!

Edit: I will have to add in a wifi card as well, but still a really good bet.

Pick whatever components you want, it is just an example, the other i3-6100 build mentioned here was also descent. You just have to write down what is important for her and go with that, even if you only have $450 to spare. Buying a pc and "growing the rig when needed" through cheap upgrades  is a fine choice on that budget.

15 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Pick whatever components you want, it is just an example, the other i3-6100 build mentioned here was also descent. You just have to write down what is important for her and go with that, even if you only have $450 to spare. Buying a pc and "growing the rig when needed" through cheap upgrades  is a fine choice on that budget.

For sure! We're gonna go to the local MicroCenter this weekend and see what they have that would be the same as or equivalent to what's in your build as well as a wifi card, get her a monitor from a local used place and order the rest online. Thanks for the help

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...