How future proof will this be? How long will it be relevant according to you?

raystriker98

I'm pretty sure many of us here are aware of the 7gamers 1 cpu rig linus had built.

Those who aren't, here-

Now my question to you all is-

How relevant will this rig be? How many years would it last (not physically) but performance-wise? Forget the 7 R9 Nanos. Suppose you kept upgrading the rig periodically with the latest graphics. Without changing anything else.

I wanna know your thoughts.

I mean to ask, how long will this beast's raw CPU power be relevant with all its glory, according to you.

1 day, i would diassemble it right after because

1) its hard to even get all 7 VM to boot properly as linus said somewhere along the series

2) the wattage consume even if one person is using it is ridiculous

3) its so impractical, i dont have 6 friends

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

1) its hard to even get all 7 VM to boot properly as linus said somewhere along the series

I meant as a single user, not 7 VMs.

Remove the 7 Gpus, just a single is fine.

Now.

Just now, Moonzy said:

it's a waste of time, space and money and not worth the work to set up the vms as @Moonzy said so imo it won't be future proof for long at all

who was 6 tech savvy friends?

I don't

(or any friends at all :()

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

Just now, raystriker98 said:

I meant as a single user, not 7 VMs.

Remove the 7 Gpus, just a single is fine.

Now.

so u mean a 4core 8 thread cpu + R9 nano? probably would last you around 5 years, depending on your gaming style and requirements

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i dont have 6 friends

well that sounds like a personal problem...

jk It is pretty impractical

and to answer your question ,For just as long gpus don't bottle neck the cpu and if the gpus don't go over the wattage of the psu

Just now, Moonzy said:

so u mean a 4core 8 thread cpu + R9 nano? probably would last you around 5 years, depending on your gaming style and requirements

I mean the above setup exactly as it is, ie the dual Xeon cpus and everything. Just without the 7 gfx cards.

What processor is in that again?  (I know there's two).  Was it 5960Xs?  That'll be the first thing to start holding it back I think.  How long will that last?  Well, I don't know many (if any) games that can use a single 5960X properly, never mind two, so it will probably last as long as a quad core haswell i7 at the same frequency.  Which, is hard to know, but it should be perfectly fine for several years yet, and will start to be a bottleneck after that, and eventually will just be unusable but that would be in like 8 years probably.  A lot of speculation in this :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, raystriker98 said:

I mean the above setup exactly as it is, ie the dual Xeon cpus and everything. Just without the 7 gfx cards.

dual xeon + r9 nano? thats the most unbalanced build ever

but it would probably also last about 5 years for gaming, but last a lot longer for rendering performance

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What processor is in that again?

the Xeon E5 2699 V3 iirc, two of them so 36 cores and 72 threads

0 days, it's already outdated and never made any sense to begin with

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

dual xeon + r9 nano? thats the most unbalanced build ever

but it would probably also last about 5 years for gaming, but last a lot longer for rendering performance

the Xeon E5 2699 V3 iirc, two of them so 36 cores and 72 threads

Not a Nano -_-

Something like dual Titan Xs or anything. Just not 7 hungry cards.

And forget gaming, I'm talking about raw power as a whole.

5 minutes ago, raystriker98 said:

Its hard to say. Games may become more CPU intensive, but not necessarily.  It will always be the graphics card holding it back im sure. Maybe the equivalent performance of a GTX 960 today? Its a guess, but it makes sense yes?

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

Not a Nano -_-

Something like dual Titan Xs or anything. Just not 7 hungry cards.

wait what was the original question again? im confused

dual xeon and dual titan X? for gaming? no

this machine isnt meant for single person gaming

I know that hardly any games utilize more than 4 cores. Pls forget gaming, i'm talking about raw performance of a computer as a whole

Pls forget gaming, i'm talking about raw performance.

Well "performance" by itself is useless - it depends what you do with it.  If it's gaming, I think you have your answer.  If you mean for other tasks like video editing or something else specific, that's a totally different question, and "how long it will last" is very subjective (unlike gaming) since it really just affects how long you're willing to wait for the final product, and that depends on the person and the situation.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well "performance" by itself is useless - it depends what you do with it.  If it's gaming, I think you have your answer.  If you mean for other tasks like video editing or something else specific, that's a totally different question, and "how long it will last" is very subjective (unlike gaming) since it really just affects how long you're willing to wait for the final product, and that depends on the person and the situation.

that but with constantly upgrading the graphics over the years to come.

Gaming wise - all depends on the requirements of the games and what you deem to be acceptable, until we talk about the E5 2699 V3

like we talk about pentium's now

server bases on the other hand I know a certain fast food place that uses less powerful machines to run upto 32 KVS's 

so in a server environment its got a few years there 

after that I'm not sure if the min requirements for word are going to change much but by that point it will be obsolete 

that but with constantly upgrading the graphics over the years to come.

Eventually that CPU just won't be good enough, regardless of what GPU you stick in it.  In the very far future, that amount of RAM will be insufficient and we may even move to some new version of pcie (or to something else entirely) that new cards aren't even compatible, but I think the CPU will be a limiting factor long before that.  I looked it up and I think it's a 2697 v3, so 14 HT cores at 2.6 GHz base clock, haswell-esk IPC.  Processor improvement has slowed down over time, but my bet would be within 10 years that machine would be only a shadow of what it once was :)

1 minute ago, Smurffin said:

Gaming wise - all depends on the requirements of the games and what you deem to be acceptable, until we talk about the E5 2699 V3

like we talk about pentium's now

server bases on the other hand I know a certain fast food place that uses less powerful machines to run upto 32 KVS's 

so in a server environment its got a few years there 

after that I'm not sure if the min requirements for word are going to change much but by that point it will be obsolete 

And what do you think of in the case of a single user who intends to use it for everything- games, encoding, rendering etc

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Eventually that CPU just won't be good enough, regardless of what GPU you stick in it.  In the very far future, that amount of RAM will be insufficient and we may even move to some new version of pcie (or to something else entirely) that new cards aren't even compatible, but I think the CPU will be a limiting factor long before that.  I looked it up and I think it's a 2697 v3, so 14 HT cores at 2.6 GHz base clock, haswell-esk IPC.  Processor improvement has slowed down over time, but my bet would be within 10 years that machine would be only a shadow of what it once was :)

finally someone who understands my question :')

And what do you think of in the case of a single user who intends to use it for everything- games, encoding, rendering etc

My own opinion, unless i was a oil tycoon, completely ridiculous

it has it own certain case uses like Titan (not GTX Titan) but its not a super computer, its not built to be.

Rendering yeah it will be damn good at, but Linus did do a video a while back demonstrating the diminishing returns 

like everything tech related it has a very short life-span, who knows what the big companies have in R&D that could completely change everything 

36 minutes ago, raystriker98 said:

I'm pretty sure many of us here are aware of the 7gamers 1 cpu rig linus had built.

Those who aren't, here-

Now my question to you all is-

How relevant will this rig be? How many years would it last (not physically) but performance-wise? Forget the 7 R9 Nanos. Suppose you kept upgrading the rig periodically with the latest graphics. Without changing anything else.

I wanna know your thoughts.

I mean to ask, how long will this beast's raw CPU power be relevant with all its glory, according to you.

If you have that kind of budget, get a really good custom water cooled rig for just yourself.  Its impractical and I wouldn't suggest it.

27 minutes ago, raystriker98 said:

I know that hardly any games utilize more than 4 cores. Pls forget gaming, i'm talking about raw performance of a computer as a whole

how long it'll last will probably depend on what you're doing with it and what's your expectations from it

if you're using it as a facebook machine then it'll likely last more than 20 years or more if hardware isnt failing and if facebook still exist by then

the raw performance will be the same forever, i dont know what you're trying to ask here tbh