Activating FreeSync - Help!

Wadeford

Hi,

I recently purchased an LG 27" FreeSync capable monitor, plus an R9 Nano. I'm currently using the HDMI cable included with the monitor, but I'm still experiencing tearing during some gaming. One, will FreeSync work if I use the HDMI ports on both the monitor and the graphics card, and two, if I were to instead use the mini DisplayPort port on the monitor and full DisplayPort port on the Nano, would it work then? Basically, do I absolutely need to use the DisplayPort ports on both monitor and card, or will FreeSync work with some other cable/port combination? 

Thanks all,

Wadeford.  

You should have "Using FreeSync" guide included to monitor documentation, at least my FreeSync LG had this kind of sheet flying around in box. It says clearly - use DisplayPort and only original DisplayPort cable included with monitor.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

FreeSync will only work over DisplayPort, not HDMI. You do not need any kind of special cable, any DP cable will work.

There is no difference between DP and Mini DP, just that the physical connector is a different shape. From the computer's point of view it's the same, it's all just DisplayPort.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

FreeSync will only work over DisplayPort, not HDMI. You do not need any kind of special cable, any DP cable will work.

There is no difference between DP and Mini DP, just that the physical connector is a different shape. From the computer's point of view it's the same, it's all just DisplayPort.

it depends also on the resolution u are running i think. anything above a 1,2 is ok even for 4k

4 hours ago, Schony125 said:

it depends also on the resolution u are running i think. anything above a 1,2 is ok even for 4k

No, DisplayPort cables do not have versions. All DisplayPort cables are made to the same spec, there are no "DP 1.2 cables".

Thanks guys, that cleared that up! Now I just need to hunt down the cable :) My house is such a mess!

53 minutes ago, Schony125 said:

Yes, there are multiple versions of DisplayPort. All versions use the same cable. DisplayPort cables do not have versions.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable.  A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities.  All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Yes, there are multiple versions of DisplayPort. All versions use the same cable. DisplayPort cables do not have versions.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

ok so I got trolled when I bought a 1.2 DP cable instead of the cheaper 1.1 DP to run 4k @ 60 hz?