How would World of Warcraft legacy servers work?

lordluke10

After  the shutdown of the Nostalrius and the huge amount of people petitioning Blizzard to make their own legacy servers, i started thinking; how would legacy servers works content-wise?

It's pretty clear that people get bored and quit the live servers when no new content is added regularly, so what would have happened when Nostalrius hit the last patch in vanilla, and how would you expect/want Blizzard to handle this on official legacy servers? Roll back to 1.0.0 and start over, stay at the final patch or would you expect Blizzard to develop new content, wedged in right before TBC lore wise?

I'm not against legacy server, it's clear that the current game is too easy, asocial or just feels too different now, i'm just genuinely curios.

And if you're reading this Luke, i would love to hear how you think Blizzard could avoid an exodus of players when the old patches for vanilla run out as well.

The raids in WoD are some of the most fun and tough encounters ever in WoW.  Only the lvling is easy.  Vanilla HAD to make lvling hard cos that's all they got at the start.  I hate Garrisons though.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Personally i would love the idea of just doing the content again.

"Legacy" shouldn't have to mean "Vanilla" servers.

the concept i would love to see is a Progression style, racing through expansions having new content released about twice as fast as it was.

and just keep these "legacy" servers 1 expansion behind and let them loop if there isnt a new expansion when the progression is over... 

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

13 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

The raids in WoD are some of the most fun and tough encounters ever in WoW.  Only the lvling is easy.  Vanilla HAD to make lvling hard cos that's all they got at the start.  I hate Garrisons though.

I agree Garrisons are sort of boring. I mean they can be useful but not that fun. I think Blizz could've done a better job with that.

I have a level 3 alliance Garrison but my poor Pandaren Monk was left quite broke from that. When I upgraded to WoD I used the 90 level boost on my Alliance Pandaren Shaman but I probably won't be upgrading her Garrison (too expensive.)

WotLK was a very good expansion, I was like 10 when that came out so like I wasn't very good at it. I still thought it was fun.

Leveling was a little harder but still fun. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I'm definitely not a fan of WoW's current form and while i have never been a supporter of the idea of legacy servers i must say that it seems there is a massive market so maybe Blizzard should implement 2 servers (1pvp+1pve) of each stage of the games life.

I think that the best version of WoW is very subjective and all comes down to when we as individuals had the most fun and where our fondest memories were made. Sure i had a lot of fun in Vanilla and BC but i actually miss WOTLK the most, if there was a WOTLK server i would probably play there during long content droughts on current servers.

Sadly i think Blizzard is neglecting WoW and running it into the ground, they see better ROI with the other titles that coincidentally were funded by WoW, once upon a time it was a mammoth of a title that no other MMORPG could come near but for many years now Blizzard has put in the absolute bare minimum of resources while sucking every last cent it possibly could out of it. Its really sad to see the title neglected so poorly, WoD was a total joke of an expansion. 

I was a regular player myself through MOP and I really enjoyed it when I could play it. Loved the story and characters and the fantasy just all of it. Never really got into the raids and dungeons though as that was just WAY to time consuming. I sacrificed my gaming however to focus on my family and newborn son which I don't regret at all. I have to admit however to getting the itch again to play the game. So I have a question I am hoping you guys can help with. Could I set up my own private server to play at home (for my own enjoyment only!) without running into the same legal issue? I certainly don't want to do anything illegal but I also don't need the whole "Social" aspect of the game for now either. If this is something that is frowned upon than certainly say so and I appreciate any other advise you guys can give. 

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

I don't think anyone here is going to publicly give you advice on how to get around the protections that Blizzard has on the use of their intellectual property >.< 

I have a question though, would you actually enjoy playing WoW in a completely empty server, just you there alone? I couldn't think of anything more boring than that. 

personaly i thing that legacy servers are not good idea because game needs to go on and also less updates to game as it is (normal servers) i dont understand why would they want wow to get legacy if you dont like never content then dont play it and stop bitching about something that is evolving personaly i realy think game got better from trought expansions not worse

On 4/28/2016 at 10:56 PM, lonestar31 said:

I was a regular player myself through MOP and I really enjoyed it when I could play it. Loved the story and characters and the fantasy just all of it. Never really got into the raids and dungeons though as that was just WAY to time consuming. I sacrificed my gaming however to focus on my family and newborn son which I don't regret at all. I have to admit however to getting the itch again to play the game. So I have a question I am hoping you guys can help with. Could I set up my own private server to play at home (for my own enjoyment only!) without running into the same legal issue? I certainly don't want to do anything illegal but I also don't need the whole "Social" aspect of the game for now either. If this is something that is frowned upon than certainly say so and I appreciate any other advise you guys can give. 

Back in vanilla i set up a personal several times, using a server called mangos if i remember correctly, but i have have no idea if thats still being maintained.

Back then you needed to set up a MySQL server and run a a login and realm server(Which was the mangos parts) and then you could log on as a GM or create normal users.

I have no idea if its that simple anymore, but this reddit thread seems up to date and the top commentar links to a version called Trinity core, which seems to have a WotLK and WoD editions, but you can always just google "How to set up a wow private server" if you wanna play other versions

From what I am seeing it is even simpler than ever to do it. Looks like the sticking point with ACT/BLIZ is allowing others to use it. Its just a bit of a pipe dream for now so I was just curios if anyone had any experience with it. I do appreciate the feedback and hopefully if I can get this freebie computer I was given running maybe I will give it a shot.  

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

On 4/29/2016 at 11:07 PM, Newenthusiast said:

I don't think anyone here is going to publicly give you advice on how to get around the protections that Blizzard has on the use of their intellectual property >.< 

I have a question though, would you actually enjoy playing WoW in a completely empty server, just you there alone? I couldn't think of anything more boring than that. 

I don't think this is actually circumventing their property but I could be wrong as I am not a lawyer obliviously. It is my understanding however that when I bought the game I became owner of that particular game and as such as long as I do not distribute or try to make a profit in any way it is not illegal. As I stated before this will be only for my enjoyment and I personally don't care about the social aspects as a game is an escape for me. A want to lose myself in the lore and story so other players don't really factor in to that part of it. I do however appreciate your feedback and will dig a bit deeper to make sure I am not crossing a line.