Transferring non OS data on SSD to new SSD

jonnyyyl

I have a SSD with general files and the odd program files installed (ie. steam/origin) and related gaming files. Memory is on the low side so I am looking to move to a bigger SSD.

With SSDs that have no OS installed on it, do I just transfer everything (copy and paste) all the files to the new one. Can/Do I rename the new SSD with the same drive path? 

For the shortcuts of the .exe programs, would it work if I just rename the file path?  If the new drive path is the same as the old, I don't have to do anything right? 

2 minutes ago, jonnyyyl said:

I have a SSD with general files and the odd program files installed (ie. steam/origin) and related gaming files. Memory is on the low side so I am looking to move to a bigger SSD.

With SSDs that have no OS installed on it, do I just transfer everything (copy and paste) all the files to the new one. Can/Do I rename the new SSD with the same drive path? 

For the shortcuts of the .exe programs, would it work if I just rename the file path?  If the new drive path is the same as the old, I don't have to do anything right? 

It is better to reinstall the programs.

Yes I agree, it is better to just reinstall the programs, but you can just copy the files over to it.

5 minutes ago, akskl said:

It is better to reinstall the programs.

what sort of risks am I facing? 

6 hours ago, jonnyyyl said:

~snip~

Hey jonnyyyl :)

Cloning should be a good option here, although a fresh install would enable you to avoid all driver and registry issues. Cloning a secondary SSD to another, larger SSD shouldn't be a problem. All you have to do is manage the remaining Unalloated space in the Disk Management once you are done with the procedure. The system will see the new SSD the same way as it did the old one and won't notice any difference, besides the capacity. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/