New CPU?

David_Chrisp

Hey guys! I'm currently using an old AMD Phenom 965 and after a new CPU. Is it worth me buying a Z87 board with a 4670K or keep my current motherboard (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3) and buy an FX8350 to save a bit of money? Use my PC for gaming mainly. Will I see a big differene between an 8350 and a 4670K? 

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H80i | Case: Corsair 300R | Motherbord: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3| RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz White |

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr OC | Power Supply: Corsair CX750 | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

go with 8350 and save yourself some money.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Hey guys! I'm currently using an old AMD Phenom 965 and after a new CPU. Is it worth me buying a Z87 board with a 4670K or keep my current motherboard (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3) and buy an FX8350 to save a bit of money? Use my PC for gaming mainly. Will I see a big differene between an 8350 and a 4670K? 

Yes, going to Haswell i5 will boost everything a whole lot (likely a 50% difference per thread).

FX 8350 is useless for gaming compared to i5. But if you already have a beastly mobo and don't want the best for gaming, you could upgrade to FX 83xx... except that won't boost gaming at all (or you will see like 10% increase sometimes).

You have Phenom II at 3,8GHz... I'd save for Intel (if you want to upgrade to FX just for gaming, it doesnt make sense, so I would wait until Intel releases another batch of processors - Haswell Refresh - perhaps and buy that).

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

What Dravic fails to mention is that the 8350 is actually better for gaming on games that utilise more than 4 cores (for example FarCry 3 and Crysis 3). The 8350 isn't useless for gaming and is on par with the i5, considering that you won't need a new mobo and the CPU itself is cheaper, you would be better off going with the 8350. @Dravic is just hell bent on slagging AMD off for some reason.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Thnaks for the feedback! Considering an 8350 if I'm honest  :D

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H80i | Case: Corsair 300R | Motherbord: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3| RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz White |

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr OC | Power Supply: Corsair CX750 | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

What Dravic fails to mention is that the 8350 is actually better for gaming on games that utilise more than 4 cores (for example FarCry 3 and Crysis 3). The 8350 isn't useless for gaming and is on par with the i5, considering that you won't need a new mobo and the CPU itself is cheaper, you would be better off going with the 8350. @Dravic is just hell bent on slagging AMD off for some reason.

Thnaks for the feedback! Considering an 8350 if I'm honest  :D

I don't want to write everything again, so:

Except AMD 4-module (not full 8 cores) FX piledriver/bulldozer processor has nothing to do with processor found inside next-gen consoles - those are closer to full-core processors. Also, next-gen consoles use only 6 out of 8 cores for games (2 for operating system only).

ALSO those 8 cores @1,6GHz from consoles can be beaten easily by quad core Phenom II at some 3,5-4GHz, save for Intel i5 which is muuuuch faster.

AMD fans can dream about console optimisations but those will only affect consoles.

FX processors have only 4 FPU (floating point units), 1 per module. That is an ESSENTIAL part of processor when talking about gaming. That is why consoles have bigger FPUs instead of FX crap.

The only processors which have more than 4 FPUs are 6-core Phenom IIs and 6 or more core processors (most xeons and some i7s) from Intel.

You expect that games will be balanced out for FX processors out of sudden? nah. they'll be balanced for full quad cores finally. even if there are more than 4 cores supported, the minimum FPS will be better on Intel since additional ALUs (look at Crysis 3 and how in one or two places FX 8 core actually does well but in all other places it does worse than i5) are only used occasionaly.

crysis3_cpun_podsumowanie.png

This shows it well. Kl/s = FPS.

ALUs are used for counting physics of grass and such and that's pretty much all that is counted with all ALUs. Everything else is counted with FPUs and you can see that when ALUs are not in question (Root of all Evil map and most of the game when you are fighting enemies that need AI to be calculated and suddenly ALUs dont help that much anymore) it suddenly becomes clear that FX with 4 turtle-slow FPUs is killed by quad core i5.

i5 is superior for everything including Crysis 3. The fact that physics of grass is calculated with ALUs is just because ALUs usually aren't used that much for gaming and Crytek decided to use them inside Crysis 3 for something else than idling.

But artificial intelligence and everything else is calculated with FPUs, hence why whole game plays better on i5.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

ge the 8350

Specs cpu:  i7 4770k  mobo: z87-pro RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB GPU: EVGA GTX 770 HDD: WD blue 1TB psu: TX750M case: 550D cooling: H100i monitor: Dell U2410/Samsung sa350

I <3 senheiser, ASUS, Corsair, Intel

If you don't want extreme OC, 8320 will be completely fine for you. It is essentially a downclocked 8350 that can't OC to 5Ghz.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird