[Mini News] Apple Pay comes to Singapore

AlTech

Believe it or not, but Apple pay has just come to Singapore. This means you can wave your iPhone1 at stores2 using the apple pay terminaland pay and use it to pay for stuff.

Apple Pay is now available in Singapore, marking the mobile payment service's expansion into its sixth country and its second in Asia. Singapore residents are only able to use American Express cards right now, but Apple says support for credit and debit cards from Visa and banks including DBS, UOB and Standard Chartered will follow in the "coming months."

Apple and American Express previously launched Apple Pay in Australia and Canada, and will also bring Apple Pay to Spain and Hong Kong at some point this year; it's not clear whether other banks in those regions are going to follow suit. The majority of customers in the US, UK, and China are now able to use Apple Pay with their financial institutions of choice.

snip1.PNG

Cool stuff. Why is this not a universal thing? Also, Why the heck hasn't Microsoft come up with an official competitor to this?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/18/11456638/apple-pay-american-express-rollout-singapore

Requires iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S plus or iPhone SE

Requires store to use Apple certified Apple Pay Terminal. Availability varies by store/shop and region.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Cool beans. I've been using Apple pay a lot lately here in London and I really appreciate the convenient of not having to take out card from the wallet to pay for public transport and groceries anymore. I don't know how Microsoft can come up with something like this because afaik most contactless payment through the phone requires a fingerprint scanner correct me if I'm wrong.

58 minutes ago, atrash said:

58 minutes ago, atrash said:

Cool beans. I've been using Apple pay a lot lately here in London and I really appreciate the convenient of not having to take out card from the wallet to pay for public transport and groceries anymore. I don't know how Microsoft can come up with something like this because afaik most contactless payment through the phone requires a fingerprint scanner correct me if I'm wrong.

They could develop something which uses your eyes :) Or Just add a fingerprint scanner to Surface Phone. Or have a system where you tap your phone to the receiver and then the terminal sends a text with a unique code and you type that on your phone.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

They could develop something which uses your eyes :) Or Just add a fingerprint scanner to Surface Phone. Or have a system where you tap your phone to the receiver and then the terminal sends a text with a unique code and you type that on your phone.

Definitely need a fingerprint scanner of some sort. But then how many people would get the Surface phone for them to even consider developing the contactless payment tech in the first place. The iris scanner is still too cumbersome.

Just now, atrash said:

Definitely need a fingerprint scanner of some sort. But then how many people would get the Surface phone for them to even consider developing the contactless payment tech in the first place. The iris scanner is still too cumbersome.

Just use NFC for contactless payment and a code the cashier reads.

Cashier reads code after NFC contact, you type in passcode that cashier says. Boom. Still too cumbersome for most. Which is why a fingerprint scanner would be awesome. As for who would buy it, well let me see. It is the future of Windows Mobile. I might buy one depending on when they launch one. If it is around april to may 2017 then defs picking one up. People will buy it for many reasons. People saw Surface RT waited for Pro and then bought it. Think of Lumia as the Surface RT and Surface Phone as the Surface Pro. Proof of concept then boom, revolution.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Just use NFC for contactless payment and a code the cashier reads.

Cashier reads code after NFC contact, you type in passcode that cashier says. Boom. Still too cumbersome for most. Which is why a fingerprint scanner would be awesome. As for who would buy it, well let me see. It is the future of Windows Mobile. I might buy one depending on when they launch one. If it is around april to may 2017 then defs picking one up. People will buy it for many reasons. People saw Surface RT waited for Pro and then bought it. Think of Lumia as the Surface RT and Surface Phone as the Surface Pro. Proof of concept then boom, revolution.

Like you said, people waited first before adopting the Surface Pro and I can the same thing happening with the Surface Phone. I might do the same thing too as atm I barely fully utilise my phone at all besides the occasional call,texting and web browsing. As much as I like the W10M, after spending so much on the 950XL admittedly with really good high end specs, right now I just wish the OS and the store get polished enough first before spending more on whatever flagship that'll be out. Specs will not be the top priority for me anymore. 

6 minutes ago, atrash said:

Like you said, people waited first before adopting the Surface Pro and I can the same thing happening with the Surface Phone. I might do the same thing too as atm I barely fully utilise my phone at all besides the occasional call,texting and web browsing. As much as I like the W10M, after spending so much on the 950XL admittedly with really good high end specs, right now I just wish the OS and the store get polished enough first before spending more on whatever flagship that'll be out. Specs will not be the top priority for me anymore. 

Only reasons specs are important for me is cos right now I have way lower specs. Snapdragon 400, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage. Hopeful upgrade to Snapdragon 830, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage.

After that, software and the Store will need to be fixed.