Best parts for a cheap NAS

I am wanting to build a cheap nas. I would like to not have my stuff being stored solely on a cheap WD external drive. My budget is $150-$200 without drives. I don't know where to start probably a g3258 and 8gb of ram but besides that I am clueless.

47 minutes ago, messenger1316 said:

I am wanting to build a cheap nas. I would like to not have my stuff being stored solely on a cheap WD external drive. My budget is $150-$200 without drives. I don't know where to start probably a g3258 and 8gb of ram but besides that I am clueless.

If you are using ZFS/freenas, the recommendation is 1GB RAM per 1TB storage. A g3258 should work fine if you use ubuntu server+samba.

My native language is C++

16 hours ago, Kyle Manning said:

If you are using ZFS/freenas, the recommendation is 1GB RAM per 1TB storage. A g3258 should work fine if you use ubuntu server+samba.

So would the 3258 be ok for freenas or unraid? What mobo would you recommend also?

1 hour ago, messenger1316 said:

So would the 3258 be ok for freenas or unraid? What mobo would you recommend also?

It will work, 2gb of ram for the OS to work in + 1gb per tb of storage is a safe practice. If you plan to have more than like 4tb you need a better cpu to keep up though. As for the mobo, just get the factor that suits you and has 10/100/1000 ethernet you probably want more than 3 sata ports. The case depends on the MoBo factor but as long as it has the right number of drive bays it will work. If you use freenas you need a 16+gb drive just for the OS but you can use usb3.0 for that. PSU get atleast bronze rated for this. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]