HDD with 2 USB connectors

ahuckphin
Go to solution Solved by ahuckphin,

Thanks for all the info. 

I was wondering whether a HDD with 2 USB connectors would perform OK if it's connected to a PC via a USB hub (non powered) 

2 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I was wondering whether a HDD with 2 USB connectors would perform OK if it's connected to a PC via a USB hub (non powered) 

It will be okay I guess, it is a hard drive though. A flash drive would be better and longer lasting.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

The two USB ports are used for additional power that the drive needs.  Using an unpowered hub would still only leave enough power that one USB port that the hub is plugged into.  This could present a problem.

One of the USB is used for both power and data exchange (writing to and reading from the drive) and the other is only for power (possibly because the hard drive needs more power). 

On 16.04.2016 г. at 6:08 AM, bindydad123 said:

~snip~

Hey there bindydad123 :)

Cables such as this one  are used to provide additional power to larger capacity external drives (that require more power to run) as they draw additional power from the second USB port, but don't really double the transfer speed or provide any benefit to it. It is done purely for power purposes. :)

If you need more info or details or simple happen to have other questions - feel free to ask! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/