What fans should I get ?

big_dane

I built my PC a couple of months ago, ever since I've been getting a black screen crash even if only watching videos on youtube. The thing is when I built the PC I didn't really think much about cooling and after troubleshooting everything else I have narrowed the problem down to having only 1 intake fan in the case and no exhaust. I have a 4970k with the stock cooler and a Powercolor R9 290 PCS+ so it get's hot even if only idling. As of writing this with only Mozilla open I have 58 C in Core 0, 54 C in Core 1, 54 C in Core 2, 53 C in Core 3, 57 C Package temp on the CPU, GPU is running at 50 C and my 850 Evo SSD is running at 38 C and the case I have is a Cooler Master K280. I am thinking of getting 3 new fans, scrap the one that came with the case and go 2 intake on the front and one exhaust on the back. The case supports 3 120mm fans. Right now I am looking at getting 3 Noctua NF-F12 and later on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cpu cooler. Are those any good ?

3 nf-f12 for case fans are great

for the 4790k, if you wanna OC, the hyper 212 evo wont be enough, but it will be enough for stock clock

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I am not going to be overclocking. I would love to get me some type of AIO liquid cooler, but my case doesn't really support it.

8 minutes ago, big_dane said:

I built my PC a couple of months ago, ever since I've been getting a black screen crash even if only watching videos on youtube. The thing is when I built the PC I didn't really think much about cooling and after troubleshooting everything else I have narrowed the problem down to having only 1 intake fan in the case and no exhaust. I have a 4970k with the stock cooler and a Powercolor R9 290 PCS+ so it get's hot even if only idling. As of writing this with only Mozilla open I have 58 C in Core 0, 54 C in Core 1, 54 C in Core 2, 53 C in Core 3, 57 C Package temp on the CPU, GPU is running at 50 C and my 850 Evo SSD is running at 38 C and the case I have is a Cooler Master K280. I am thinking of getting 3 new fans, scrap the one that came with the case and go 2 intake on the front and one exhaust on the back. The case supports 3 120mm fans. Right now I am looking at getting 3 Noctua NF-F12 and later on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cpu cooler. Are those any good ?

I think getting a better cpu cooler should take higher priority

212 evo is like one of the best bang for buck cpu coolers ever made

I'd say get the 212 and a case fan (2 preferred if you have the funds)

fractal design venturi fans are also highly rated

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

3 nf-f12 for case fans are great

for the 4790k, if you wanna OC, the hyper 212 evo wont be enough, but it will be enough for stock clock

It'll work for a mild overclock, but voltages above ~1.24 would start to get really toasty really fast.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

It'll work for a mild overclock, but voltages above ~1.24 would start to get really toasty really fast.

yea, mild to average oc is fine, depending on his chip's heat dissipation

but i would just get a beefier cooler if i wanna OC lol

19 minutes ago, big_dane said:

I am not going to be overclocking. I would love to get me some type of AIO liquid cooler, but my case doesn't really support it.

AIO would be a waste if you're not overclocking

stick with the 212 evo

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea, mild to average oc is fine, depending on his chip's heat dissipation

but i would just get a beefier cooler if i wanna OC lol

My H5 agrees with you lol

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.