5820K overclock & Dark Rock Pro 3

Excal13

Hi Everyone,

Do you think instead of using my H100i GTX, to cool my 5820k @ 4.4 GHz, the Dark Rock Pro 3 would be a good idea? Just want something more quiet but maintain my 5820k overclock at 4.4

Right now now my idle temps are mid 40's C

Thx

2 hours ago, Excal13 said:

Hi Everyone,

Do you think instead of using my H100i GTX, to cool my 5820k @ 4.4 GHz, the Dark Rock Pro 3 would be a good idea? Just want something more quiet but maintain my 5820k overclock at 4.4

Right now now my idle temps are mid 40's C

Thx

yeah. i dont see why not. you idle may go up by a few degrees but ive heard nothing but good stuff about the dark rock 3. looks nice too. 

I prefer the beefier air coolers (especially the dark rocks, those are nice) to the water ones myself, but is it just your idle temps that are high?  Or is it also high under load too?  Going for the Dark Rock may not necessarily lower your idle temps.

PWM functions could be lowering your radiator fans on idle, so check to see how it performs under load, and the rpm of your fans.  Re-mount if necessary.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I prefer the beefier air coolers (especially the dark rocks, those are nice) to the water ones myself, but is it just your idle temps that are high?  Or is it also high under load too?

PWM functions could be lowering your radiator fans on idle, so check to see how it performs under load, and the rpm of your fans.  Re-mount if necessary.

They might be a bit high but that's because I have my corsair sp quiet edition fans at low rpm to keep them quiet as possible. Under load I keep my quiet profile on (in corsair link) which brings my temps up to mid 80's during stress test.

5 minutes ago, Excal13 said:

They might be a bit high but that's because I have my corsair sp quiet edition fans at low rpm to keep them quiet as possible. Under load I keep my quiet profile on (in corsair link) which brings my temps up to mid 80's during stress test.

Yeah, experiment around a bit (try different fans/fan profiles, case fans, remount the cooler, etc).  If you have no luck and make the jump to an air cooler, the Black Rock is a good choice.  

I've used both on the 5820k and the H100i performed better for me. 

If you get the DRP3, I suggest ordering a second 135mm fan, à la Dark Rock TF. Acoustics and general noise per cooling efficiency is improved even further. You can get it from BeQuiet support for 10$ shipped 

You'll never get as good of performance from Air Coolers for high TDP overclocked chips like yours though, so keep that in mind.