My transfered games get deleted??

Go to solution Solved by masonereed,
9 minutes ago, Epis said:

So did you uninstall Origin? The folder should be present if Origin is installed onto the system. If it's not appearing properly now, it should be uninstalled completely and reinstalled. Then the OriginGames folder can be used with the Origin client.

I reinstalled origin and it is all now fixed. LOl that was a hassle!

So I copied some Origin game (BF4) from my SSD to my HDD and then deleted it off my SSD. When i went to open BF4, it said I had to re download it. What did I copy then?? it said copying files  40GB of 40GB or what not and it took a couple minutes so its like it did something. It just makes me mad I have to re download it now... like whats the point of even copying files if they get deleted. It did the exact same thing with the origin application. I copied files from SSD to HDD then deleted them off SSD. It still showed them being on HDD though and when I click on them they just say it needs to be re downloaded. SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN

2 minutes ago, masonereed said:

So I copied some Origin game (BF4) from my SSD to my HDD and then deleted it off my SSD. When i went to open BF4, it said I had to re download it. What did I copy then?? it said copying files  40GB of 40GB or what not and it took a couple minutes so its like it did something. It just makes me mad I have to re download it now... like whats the point of even copying files if they get deleted. It did the exact same thing with the origin application. I copied files from SSD to HDD then deleted them off SSD. It still showed them being on HDD though and when I click on them they just say it needs to be re downloaded. SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN

Did you change Origin's target folder?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you change Origin's target folder?

All i did was drag origin and the origin games folder from ssd to hdd.

Just now, masonereed said:

All i did was drag origin and the origin games folder from ssd to hdd.

Origin is looking at the SSD still. You need to go into Settings and change the folder to the hard drive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Origin is looking at the SSD still. You need to go into Settings and change the folder to the hard drive.

settings on origin?

1 minute ago, masonereed said:

settings on origin?

In the Origin window, go to the top left and click on the Origin button. Once you do that, click on Application Settings. Go to Advanced, and you should see a target folder for your downloaded games. Click on Change to adjust it to the hard drive.

In the Origin window, go to the top left and click on the Origin button. Once you do that, click on Application Settings. Go to Advanced, and you should see a target folder for your downloaded games. Click on Change to adjust it to the hard drive.

the top option was already set to D, i just changed the second one to D. 

563456.PNG

the top option was already set to D, i just changed the second one to D. 

I see BF4 is currently downloading apparently. Is that on your hard drive right now?

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I see BF4 is currently downloading apparently. Is that on your hard drive right now?

I copied it to my hard drive, i just clicked to play it then it started downloading. Thats why i got all mad and confused and posted this because yeah. 

I copied it to my hard drive, i just clicked to play it then it started downloading. Thats why i got all mad and confused and posted this because yeah. 

How long has it been downloading for?

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

How long has it been downloading for?

10 ish minutes. its almost done but it still needs to do the 4 dlc i have for it. My internet is 180mb/s so it wont take more than an hour in total but still its fairly annoying.

3 minutes ago, masonereed said:

10 ish minutes. its almost done but it still needs to do the 4 dlc i have for it. My internet is 180mb/s so it wont take more than an hour in total but still its fairly annoying.

I figured out why it's happening. 

The message you get when the folder change is successful is stating that the games currently installed will remain in their current location. So when you went to play BF4 and it complained about the game not being present, it was looking on the SSD for it where it was deleted.

I figured out why it's happening. 

The message you get when the folder change is successful is stating that the games currently installed will remain in their current location. So when you went to play BF4 and it complained about the game not being present, it was looking on the SSD for it where it was deleted.

That could explain while this just happened......... So how do i get origin to stop being stupid and find my games?

988099.PNG

That could explain while this just happened......... So how do i get origin to stop being stupid and find my games?

It's a function of the program. It retains the data about the current game installations that they're stored in some location. It's behaving exactly how it's supposed to.

It's a function of the program. It retains the data about the current game installations that they're stored in some location. It's behaving exactly how it's supposed to.

So how can I fix it, since its not letting me download it and it cant find my games

So how can I fix it, since its not letting me download it and it cant find my games

Close it and reopen it.

Close it and reopen it.

that didnt fix it. its still saying install BF4

that didnt fix it. its still saying install BF4

and giving error reports when i try to

and giving error reports when i try to

Can you post a screenshot?

I've moved my BF4 installation between drives several times before. The way I've always done it is to have a fresh install of Origin (don't just move the Origin folder from one drive to another), and then move the Origin Games folder containing BF4 into ProgramFiles x86. Open Origin and launch BF4, it will then check all the files for the game, then you can play.

2 minutes ago, Epis said:

I've moved my BF4 installation between drives several times before. The way I've always done it is to have a fresh install of Origin (don't just move the Origin folder from one drive to another), and then move the Origin Games folder containing BF4 into ProgramFiles x86. Open Origin and launch BF4, it will then check all the files for the game, then you can play.

okay i will try that real quick. 

3 minutes ago, Epis said:

well wait, program files x86 is on my ssd. I want BF4 on my HDD

Open Windows Explorer and create a folder in the new location where you’ll store your games.

Head to your current Origin folder and find the folder for the game you want to move. Copy it to the new location, and delete the old files.

Open Origin and head to Origin > Application Settings > Advanced. Under “Downloaded Games”, click the “Change” button and direct it to the folder on your new hard drive. Don’t worry, this only affects newly-installed games, so your current library will not be affected.

Return to the “My Games” view and click the Download button to re-install the game. Instead of re-downloading the game (which could take hours), Origin will detect the existing files there and make any necessary minor changes. When it’s done, you should be able to play the game as usual.

If you want to install future games to your old hard drive, repeat step 3 with the old location.

Quoted from lifehacker

5 minutes ago, masonereed said:

well wait, program files x86 is on my ssd. I want BF4 on my HDD

In that case, you can just put the OriginGames folder anywhere on the HDD, then with your freshly installed Origin client go to Application Settings > Advanced and choose the location Origin should launch games from.

14 minutes ago, Epis said:

In that case, you can just put the OriginGames folder anywhere on the HDD, then with your freshly installed Origin client go to Application Settings > Advanced and choose the location Origin should launch games from.

okay that didnt work and now my origin folder has completely dissapeared even though there is still a link for it oin my destop and it opens and everything