Broadwell-e . Worth waiting?

I am in the process of building a high end X99 machine for gaming. Since new 2011-3 Broadwell-e are just about to be announced soon, I am considering two options. 

1) Wait for them to be released (and get the mid-range, always 40 lanes minimum) 

2) Wait for them to be released and get the 5930k for a lower price (if ever goes down)

What do you think? Are the new Broadwell-e worth the upgrade?

Thank you!

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

What will this build be for? Gaming or productivity work?

It says gaming in the description

I'm guessing the chip you want is a 6850k, it appears identical to the 6800k except in .2 GHZ a clock increase and I'm guessing PCIE LANES since that was the same difference from 5820k to 5930k.

For the 40 PCIE lanes, get a 6850k, but remember it will be around $550 USD

image.png

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

4 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

I'm guessing the chip you want is a 6850k, it appears identical to the 6800k except in .2 GHZ a clock increase and I'm guessing PCIE LANES since that was the same difference from 5820k to 5930k.

For the 40 PCIE lanes, get a 6850k, but remember it will be around $550 USD

image.png

This is the one I am targeting right now. Question is: Will it be so much better than the 5930k?  I guess that once released, the 5930k should be cheaper in stores like amazon. 

8 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Sometimes people also use their computers for productivity work and gaming, there was no way for me to know. Although I generally do not recommend waiting, I would do it in this case anyway as we are so close to release. Wait for broadwell-e to be released then take advantage of the flood of i7-5820Ks that will likely appear on ebay or go ahead and buy a mid-range broadwell-e part IF you have the money for it of course. In other words wait and if your budget is tight, get a used 5820K. If your budget is bigger, get a mid-range broadwell-e CPU.

I have a 5k iMac for productivity and "everything else" but gaming. So, this PC will be my gaming-station ;) My comparision is between 5930k or the cheapest Broadwell-e with 40 Lanes. Thanks for answering!

30 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

I have a 5k iMac for productivity and "everything else" but gaming. So, this PC will be my gaming-station ;) My comparision is between 5930k or the cheapest Broadwell-e with 40 Lanes. Thanks for answering!

Do you NEED the 40 lanes? Are you going to run 4-way SLI?

15 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Do you NEED the 40 lanes? Are you going to run 4-way SLI?

NEED, NEED... Reeeally need, I don't even need the iPhone I have, or the 5K iMac. In the passionate world, nothing is really needed. I want 40 lanes in order to be able to do SLI in x16 and still have spare lanes for other devices. And yes, there are many voices that say SLI in x8 is more than enough, etc. But is not my intention to enter in this discussion right now. 

Thanks!

It will be worth to upgrade only if Broadwell-E can OC like Skylake. Broadwell-E will have around 3-5% more IPC than Haswell-E, so the 6850k at 4.5GHz should do as good as a 5930k at 4.65-4.7GHz.

If these new i7 can reach 4.7-4.8GHz without needing custom loop they will beat Haswell-E pretty easily. If they overclock like the 5675c/5775c they will be quite disappointing.

In any case, disfruta-ho ;)

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

4 minutes ago, Ansau said:

It will be worth to upgrade only if Broadwell-E can OC like Skylake. Broadwell-E will have around 3-5% more IPC than Haswell-E, so the 6850k at 4.5GHz should do as good as a 5930k at 4.65-4.7GHz.

If these new i7 can reach 4.7-4.8GHz without needing custom loop they will beat Haswell-E pretty easily. If they overclock like the 5675c/5775c they will be quite disappointing.

In any case, disfruta-ho ;)

Ei!

I am kind of hoping to get the 5930k new on amazon for a very sweet reduced price if this is the case. But I still hope to get nice performance and reduced heat (TDP looks the same even in 14nm...) So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 

Bona nit!

40 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

NEED, NEED... Reeeally need, I don't even need the iPhone I have, or the 5K iMac. In the passionate world, nothing is really needed. I want 40 lanes in order to be able to do SLI in x16 and still have spare lanes for other devices. And yes, there are many voices that say SLI in x8 is more than enough, etc. But is not my intention to enter in this discussion right now. 

Thanks!

Bu bu bu bu bu but... $250 USD 

22 hours ago, Catalonia said:

This is the one I am targeting right now. Question is: Will it be so much better than the 5930k?  I guess that once released, the 5930k should be cheaper in stores like amazon. 

(6850k vs 5930k) Honestly, I don't think so. They both have 15MB L3 cache, same cores, I'm guessing the same amount of lanes, and the same amount of cores. Based on technical specs, the only difference is the 6850k is stock clock is 3.6GHZ vs 3.5 for the 5930k.

the biggest difference is the size or process size etc. the new Broadwell E is on a 14nm process, while the Haswell E is on a 22nm one. So, I mean, the Broadwell-E is newer, better technology, and objectively better, but I don't think the difference is extremely noticeably, although I can't speak for how much the change will actually be with a new process size. They are around the same price, and I'm not sure how much the 5930k will drop in price, if at all.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

22 hours ago, Catalonia said:

Thanks!

Right with you there. Was thinking of buying a 5820K but then got an offer for a 5960X for half the price compared to retail. Like I dont need it at all but it ended up costing me like 200 dollar more.