MasterAir Maker 8 worth it?

Trav_X
Go to solution Solved by wyattzx,

The MasterAir Maker 8 is a glorified Hyper 212. You're paying a premium for the extras, the large aesthetic pieces, and the premium packaging. For the price of the Maker 8, you can buy a great AiO, or even a top-end air cooler. Do not buy it, as the price-to-performance ratio is horrible.

It's like $130 and I haven't found many benchmarks at all. Is it good? I prefer air cooling, so I just have no idea where it stands at its price point, I'm looking into getting a really nice air tower, like a D15, DRP3, or like an R1 ultimate. Any input is welcome, including opinions the the other coolers I just mentioned! :) 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

I heard pretty good things about the MasterAir Maker 8, but the price/performance ratio is pretty bad.
If you're looking for a good CPU cooler, you should look into the Reeven Okeanos. It performs better than a Noctua NH-D15, while beeing cheaper.

4 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

It's like $130 and I haven't found many benchmarks at all. Is it good? I prefer air cooling, so I just have no idea where it stands at its price point, I'm looking into getting a really nice air tower, like a D15, DRP3, or like an R1 ultimate. Any input is welcome, including opinions the the other coolers I just mentioned! :) 

Heck no. Get the biggest Noctua. The temperature differences are about 1-2 degrees. Look at Hardware Cunucks video.

CPU: Ryzen 3800X  MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)  RAM: Corsair LPX 3200MHz 35GB (2x16) GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 PSU: EVGA  850BQ  COOLING: Noctua NH-D15  CASE: Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White

The MasterAir Maker 8 is a glorified Hyper 212. You're paying a premium for the extras, the large aesthetic pieces, and the premium packaging. For the price of the Maker 8, you can buy a great AiO, or even a top-end air cooler. Do not buy it, as the price-to-performance ratio is horrible.

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

If you're looking for a good CPU cooler, you should look into the Reeven Okeanos. It performs better than a Noctua NH-D15, while beeing cheaper.

It's noisier and has higher RPM fans. Plus it's a not very known brand. I'd personally go for Noctua - for the better build quality, brand name, and low noise output.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/reeven_okeanos_rc1402/4.htm

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

It's noisier and has higher RPM fans. Plus it's a not very known brand. I'd personally go for Noctua - for the better build quality, brand name, and low noise output.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/reeven_okeanos_rc1402/4.htm

If you plug in the "low-noise-adapters" it'll literally run 3°C hotter than before, which is just a tiny bit worse than the Noctua for a much lower price. And then it's also near silent.
Who cares about the brand? Do you want everyone to have an iPhone? :dry:

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

If you plug in the "low-noise-adapters" it'll literally run 3°C hotter than before, which is just a tiny bit worse than the Noctua for a much lower price. And then it's also near silent.
Who cares about the brand? Do you want everyone to have an iPhone? :dry:

Suck me toes lad. NHD-15 > Okeanos.

It only matches the NH-D15 with a hefty overclock on the cpu. It doesn't best it in performance, or looks. Plus, Noctua's build quality is better, especially on their fans.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

2 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Suck me toes lad. NHD-15 > Okeanos.

It only matches the NH-D15 with a hefty overclock on the cpu. It doesn't best it in performance, or looks. Plus, Noctua's build quality is better, especially on their fans.

Are you upset because your favorite company got rekt by a no-name company in price/performance?

If Noctua doesn't release something new this summer, then they're dead.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Are you upset because your favorite company got rekt by a no-name company in price/performance?

As i said before; suck me toes lad. The NH-D15 still comes out on top, only being matched with cooling performance of a high-end OC, and is quieter.

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Lol, Noctua is not dead at all. Noctua has some of the best fans in the entire industry, and tons of people buy all of their products. Noctua makes great quality products, and gets revenue because of that

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

6 hours ago, Fulgrim said:

As i said before; suck me toes lad. The NH-D15 still comes out on top, only being matched with cooling performance of a high-end OC, and is quieter.

But you know that you can get a okeanos and two nf-f12s for the same price as a nh-d15?

Price/performance is all that matters. 

2 hours ago, Trav_X said:

Lol, Noctua is not dead at all. Noctua has some of the best fans in the entire industry, and tons of people buy all of their products. Noctua makes great quality products, and gets revenue because of that

Not yet. They innovate so slowly...

Also beeing dead doesn't mean to make no revenue anymore. 

I already know that they will come up with something this summer,  but I don't think it'll be better than what bQ has to offer. 

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

They did release the NH-D15S which performs pretty much on par with the D15 but doesn't have memory clearance issues. Calling them dead is a bit farfetched although be quiet! is definitely encroaching on them.

8 hours ago, Fulgrim said:

The argument that a component is better because "its brand is better" is completely void. You're not describing anything about the component. It's a lot more useful to say that they have better fans (which they do) or that their mounting mechanism is a lot easier to operate (which it is), but the product also costs twice as much.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

10 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I already know that they will come up with something this summer,  but I don't think it'll be better than what bQ has to offer. 

What does bQ have in the works? Any news? I do like their products.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

29 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

What does bQ have in the works? Any news? I do like their products.

Have you seen their Silent Wings 3 last year? be Quiet said that they are not happy with its performance and so they have made more improvements to it this year. Its currently in pre production i think and will be available this summer  iirc.

27 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Have you seen their Silent Wings 3 last year? be Quiet said that they are not happy with its performance and so they have made more improvements to it this year. Its currently in pre production i think and will be available this summer  iirc.

Damn I can't wait :D that sounds awesome

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6