Amiga CD 32 bit power cable

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

This has ATX powersupply written all over it. The yellow wire from a molex connector goes to the +12VDC, red into +5VDC, the blacks into the grounds. No need to go buy anything. :D But if you feel like, you can source an adapter like this one. The connector is called 4-pin DIN if you feel like looking into making an adapter. 

Heya,

so I just pulled an Amiga CD 32 literally out of a trashcan while taking a walk. The metal parts look rusty as hell, but all the connectors seem fine, the PCB (from what I could see) looks okay... but I don't have a power cable. See pic attached. I'm also not all that good with electronics (my brother is okay, though), but DYIing one seems tricky given the two different positive voltages...

Does anyone know where I may be lucky and find one (in Germany if possible)? Don't want to spend a fortune, because it'd really be more of a let's-try-this thing. I don't expect this to work. And if it doesn't, I'll take it apart, shove either an ITX board or (more likely) a Ras Pi in there to have a cool little thing. 

Oh yeah, also, does anyone know what's that weird PCB connector that you can access at the back? I assum

Cheers,

John

Amiga Power Connector.JPG

This has ATX powersupply written all over it. The yellow wire from a molex connector goes to the +12VDC, red into +5VDC, the blacks into the grounds. No need to go buy anything. :D But if you feel like, you can source an adapter like this one. The connector is called 4-pin DIN if you feel like looking into making an adapter. 

3 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Nice, I thought it was a proprietary cable, since I'd never seen that before. Probably just rather outdated. ^^ 

Thanks for the quick help, now I'll see that I can pull the ATX power supply from some old tower and maybe just shove the correct wires in there. Worst thing I fry the Amiga.

12 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Ah, sorry for coming again, but I found this. Now, it's a bit expensive, but it's Amazon so I could just try it and then decide to keep it or send it back. ;) Voltages look fine, and it would be a far more elegant solution than having a PSU that's almost as big as the Amiga lying around. Is there anything I don't see or would it work? 

3 minutes ago, German_John said:

Ah, sorry for coming again, but I found this. Now, it's a bit expensive, but it's Amazon so I could just try it and then decide to keep it or send it back. ;) Voltages look fine, and it would be a far more elegant solution than having a PSU that's almost as big as the Amiga lying around. Is there anything I don't see or would it work? 

I don't know. Those product pictures look to contradict each other. The connector on the product looks like a PS/2, the closeup looks like the pins are almost aligned in a square and the drawing is what you're looking for. Maybe just try the ATX supply to see if the machine works in the first place?

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

I don't know. Those product pictures look to contradict each other. The connector on the product looks like a PS/2, the closeup looks like the pins are almost aligned in a square and the drawing is what you're looking for. Maybe just try the ATX supply to see if the machine works in the first place?

I think they used the same picture for their 4 pin and 5 pin DIN cables. A norm is a norm. 

But yeah, I should have some ATX power supply to try this. Definitely less of a hassle. I'll let you know if it worked or not!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2016 at 9:19 PM, German_John said:

Does anyone know where I may be lucky and find one (in Germany if possible)? Don't want to spend a fortune,

Hardly a fortune at 20€ : http://www.vesalia.de/e_psu1541iicd32a590.htm 

A molex adapter would be half the price (inc. shipping) at 

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=885