Summer Gaming Build

Go to solution Solved by Howlingwolf101,

Dude, that double post though. I would wait for pascal to be released and then grab a 980 ti SLI. You should be good for a couple years, even if you go for VR

Hi, 

I am gathering my parts to build myself a new PC for pretty high end gaming this summer. 

Here is the part list ( I haven't build a PC in the last 10 years and am currently enduring a macbook pro so I thought I would treat myself a bit ) : 
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RtTgYJ

I chose the X34 predator monitor for its high refresh rate given its 21:9 2K resolution 

As for the GPU(s) like many here I am in a wait and see posture : 

- Either wait for Pascal and go for it when it comes out, hopefully a Pascal version of the 980ti and not just a 980 version, I would hate to see a 980ti version of pascal coming out a few months after purchasing my new GPU... 

- Or wait for Pascal to be released and jump aboard the SLI 980ti wagon as prices drop with second hand market being flooded. 

In my mind it could be pretty much more cost effective to get the 980ti in SLI. 
It should give me about two years of peace of mind before my performance is not enough to be on par with AAA requirements ( I like playing maxed out ) 
Pascal drivers will probably be pretty sketchy in the beginning whereas the current gen is just ripe. Same goes with game optimisation. 

What do you think ? 

Also regarding my PSU, I want to be able to do some decent overclocking on the CPU, RAM and GPU(s if in SLI )
Do you think 1000w is overkill ?   - I also added 4 Noctua industrial fans 

Dude, that double post though. I would wait for pascal to be released and then grab a 980 ti SLI. You should be good for a couple years, even if you go for VR

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Just now, Howlingwolf101 said:

Thanks for your opinion. 
As for the double post I felt this was relevant both to the PSU subject and the GPU one. 

1 minute ago, jwakeford said:

Thanks for your opinion. 
As for the double post I felt this was relevant both to the PSU subject and the GPU one. 

either way, 1000 Watts should be more than enough for two GPU and a bit of overclocking

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Just now, Howlingwolf101 said:

either way, 1000 Watts should be more than enough for two GPU and a bit of overclocking

Ok so maybe I should step down to 850W ? 

I can't say for sure, my experience is limited with PSU but if PCPartpicker says it'll only use 712 watts, 850 should be good too. I wouldn't go for a 750 though, that's really pushing it

Spoiler