Chipset CPU Question

So I recently discovered the amazing deal that is the Intel Xeon E5 2670. It's an 8 core processor for stupid cheap. I thought I could just throw it in any old 2011 board I had laying around, but then I noticed many are saying the board has to have the X79 chipset. Is that really the case? Sort of embarrassing, considering the rig I just built myself and here I am asking a completely noob question lol. 

I really thought all I had to worry about was the socket type when it came to CPU / board compatibility. Thanks in advance!

19 minutes ago, 227167_1454181677 said:

So I recently discovered the amazing deal that is the Intel Xeon E5 2670. It's an 8 core processor for stupid cheap. I thought I could just throw it in any old 2011 board I had laying around, but then I noticed many are saying the board has to have the X79 chipset. Is that really the case? Sort of embarrassing, considering the rig I just built myself and here I am asking a completely noob question lol. 

I really thought all I had to worry about was the socket type when it came to CPU / board compatibility. Thanks in advance!

Sorry. There's lots more to CPU support than just the mechanical socket. Not even a specific chipset is a path to certain heaven. The BIOS needs to support the CPU. Just as an example, Asus Z9PE-D16 supports your CPU just fine even thou it's not X79. Asus P9X79 WS supports it too, even thou it is. But neither the SABERTOOTH X79 or X79-DELUXE support it even thou they're seemingly similar with the P9X79 WS. Be very careful with CPU support. (Note for all of these, e5-2670v2 is not the same as e5-2670)

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Sorry. There's lots more to CPU support than just the mechanical socket. Not even a specific chipset is a path to certain heaven. The BIOS needs to support the CPU. Just as an example, Asus Z9PE-D16 supports your CPU just fine even thou it's not X79. Asus P9X79 WS supports it too, even thou it is. But neither the SABERTOOTH X79 or X79-DELUXE support it even thou they're seemingly similar with the P9X79 WS. Be very careful with CPU support. (Note for all of these, e5-2670v2 is not the same as e5-2670)

That's a great help! Can I ask where you went to search for these compatible boards? or are you just searching "(Processor name) motherboard compatibility" into google? Much appreciated!

Just now, 227167_1454181677 said:

That's a great help! Can I ask where you went to search for these compatible boards? or are you just searching "(Processor name) motherboard compatibility" into google? Much appreciated!

I just happened to know and double checked on Asus website. Doesn't help you much. :/ You kind of need to pick a motherboard and then look up the compatible processors. X79 and C602 chipsets aren't that common anymore so I'd suggest you just look up ones that are available in your price range and start digging. The manufacturer websites will have those lists of working CPUs. pcpartpicker.com has a surprisingly good compatibility search the other way around to help you along. But they will not be liable if the info is wrong so you you shouldn't trust it blindly. 

13 minutes ago, 227167_1454181677 said:

PCPartPicker. The extreme-edition motherboards are sorted into LGA 2011 (X79) and LGA 2011-3 (X99), and will help you sort out compatibility.

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

But they will not be liable if the info is wrong so you you shouldn't trust it blindly. 

Indeed, double check everything to see if it works even if PCPartPicker gives you the go-ahead.