Keyboard as midi device?

Hello guys! I am wondering if there is anyway to possibly use my keyboard as a midi controller to do a live music mix up / finger drum on. I have a midifighter 3D, but can never get the darn thing to work, and even when I do I barely know how to work the app that it is attached to. Thanks for your help!

Just now, Chris_Blake said:

Would you be using a DAW or DJ software?

Which would work best? 

Just now, cadabri said:

Which would work best? 

Depends on the live application you find most comfortable to be honest but usually DAW's have some latency with midi controllers. I know in Ableton Live (my preferred production software) any use of midi controllers latency can be brought down by the use of either having a good internal sound card or the use of an audio interface. Depends on the usage of what you want to achieve.

Just now, Chris_Blake said:

Depends on the live application you find most comfortable to be honest but usually DAW's have some latency with midi controllers. I know in Ableton Live (my preferred production software) any use of midi controllers latency can be brought down by the use of either having a good internal sound card or the use of an audio interface. Depends on the usage of what you want to achieve.

Idk, I just want to be able to train to do something live for an upcoming talent show :P  SO like, I want something that can cue in songs and stuff (I think that is what it is called)

19 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

Well playing from certain points in songs that stop when I let off the key, and playing certain soundbites that always play through all the way (If that makes sense)

18 minutes ago, cadabri said:

Idk, I just want to be able to train to do something live for an upcoming talent show :P  SO like, I want something that can cue in songs and stuff (I think that is what it is called)

Hmm... Do you have any links to what your referring to? I've been DJ-ing and producing for nine years and have came across multiple issues and I'll try my best to help you man! 

I guess something like shawn wasabi, or so nevable 

2 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

Hmm... Do you have any links to what your referring to? I've been DJ-ing and producing for nine years and have came across multiple issues and I'll try my best to help you man! 

I guess something like shawn wasabi, or so nevable 

Ahh so your wanting whats known as "Hot Cues" but on top of that you want whats called a "Sampler" or "looper" 

both have two different functions that if you wanted to program yourself with a keyboard it would take a third-party 

application outside of your DJ software to do.

Best way would probably be to just get a cheap DJ controller for your gig and either Serato DJ Intro or a version of 

Virtual DJ

So basically what I have on mind right now is starting out with the very beginning of this 

Then going on to it saying "Damn daniel" "where'd you find this?" then idk. I already have the midi fighter 3d but it is super hard to set up, and I would like to use my keyboard because it is a blackwidow chroma and can create some really good effects 

Just now, cadabri said:

So basically what I have on mind right now is starting out with the very beginning of this 

Then going on to it saying "Damn daniel" "where'd you find this?" then idk. I already have the midi fighter 3d but it is super hard to set up, and I would like to use my keyboard because it is a blackwidow chroma and can create some really good effects 

Well, start with that and something else

Ahh! Then what your looking for is to setup your midi fighter to be used as Hot Cues within a DJ software.

I would suggest Virtual DJ because they allow you to setup MIDI easily compared to other DJ softwares.

When it comes to keyboard I am not 100% sure but you might be at a loss since most keys are used to function something within your software.

What about an app like what taran showed off in his macro keyboard episode?

3 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

Ahh! Then what your looking for is to setup your midi fighter to be used as Hot Cues within a DJ software.

I would suggest Virtual DJ because they allow you to setup MIDI easily compared to other DJ softwares.

Okay, though Idk how the midi fighter will work because it requires software to map it and stuf... its weird

You could do that but you would have to find the third party applications or something inside your DJ software that allows you to make certain keys act as a certain function within the program.

Boo... You would really think that someone would make an application that turns keys into midi signals

But MIDI mapping can be done in almost any DAW or DJ software the Midi Fighter probably comes with a program that is confusing because it will only map to the parameters of what you set it to. Like... A pre-determined idea of what it can do inside an outside program of the programming software. 

1 minute ago, cadabri said:

Boo... You would really think that someone would make an application that turns keys into midi signals

Well depending on your software your keys can be utilized for almost any function! I use keyboard shortcuts in Ableton Live day long lmao xD 

1 minute ago, Chris_Blake said:

But MIDI mapping can be done in almost any DAW or DJ software the Midi Fighter probably comes with a program that is confusing because it will only map to the parameters of what you set it to. Like... A pre-determined idea of what it can do inside an outside program of the programming software. 

Yeah I am a tad confused

1 minute ago, cadabri said:

Yeah I am a tad confused

Hmm... Okay so like... What DJ software do you use?

2 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

Well depending on your software your keys can be utilized for almost any function! I use keyboard shortcuts in Ableton Live day long lmao xD 

Okay, I got virtual dj, but how do I do stuff in it now

Ahh okay! So now you would go to preferences/settings then go to the midi tab, plug in your Midi Fighter then map out what you want it to do

6 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

Ahh okay! So now you would go to preferences/settings then go to the midi tab, plug in your Midi Fighter then map out what you want it to do

Config? if so, I only see a mappers tab