GTX 970 or Pascal?

phyre.

So, i have no real computer, only a 6 year old Mac Mini that can't (Obviously) run ANYTHING. So ive been saving up about 1000-1200 Euro for a new Gaming PC, but i don't know about waiting for Pascal or going for the 970 :(

Send help

Pascal, 970s are a pack of lies, I have 2 lol, wrong vram and poor DX12 performance

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

6 minutes ago, Vatiow said:

So, i have no real computer, only a 6 year old Mac Mini that can't (Obviously) run ANYTHING. So ive been saving up about 1000-1200 Euro for a new Gaming PC, but i don't know about waiting for Pascal or going for the 970 :(

Send help

If you need/want a new pc as soon as possible, you can go with GTX 970 or R9 390, depending what the prices are in your country.

What country you live in, btw?

Well, Pascal will probably release the X/1080 and the Titan, and maybe the X/1070 60 and 50 sometime near September.

1 minute ago, sapphirethunder said:

If you need/want a new pc as soon as possible, you can go with GTX 970 or R9 390, depending what the prices are in your country.

What country you live in, btw.

Im gonna buy/build it in about 2 weaks

Denmark im going for a Zotac AMP! Extreme witch is around 300 EUro on Amazon

If you need something now, I'd go with any of the AMD cards with 8GB of VRAM. If you can wait, I would. Or just get a cheaper 960/290/280 to save some money now, then replace it when Polaris/Pascal cards release.

welcome to the forums :P

remember to quote or mention someone when you reply them so they get a notification @Vatiow

as for your question

if you can wait, wait for pascal to release and decide what to get then

if you cant wait, you can get an R9 390 now, it's priced like the gtx 970

but performs slightly better in DX11 and a lot better in DX12

as well as having more vram too

but it depends on the rest of your rig, if your cpu is weak, then getting an Nvidia card would benefit as the CPU overhead isnt as high as AMD cards

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Xx-WJ7 said:

Well, Pascal will probably release the X/1080 and the Titan, and maybe the X/1070 60 and 50 sometime near September.

Can't wait for September though ._.

I'm personally waiting for Pascal with HBM.  It's going to be a long wait.

Just now, Vatiow said:

Can't wait for September though ._.

Well then go for the 970, just be were of the 3.5gb VRAM and poor Direct X 12 performance.

2 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

If you need something now, I'd go with any of the AMD cards with 8GB of VRAM. If you can wait, I would. Or just get a cheaper 960/290/280 to save some money now, then replace it when Polaris/Pascal cards release.

Don't need the 8gb vram

Just now, Vatiow said:

Don't need the 8gb vram

ANd if i buy the 960 now it will still be a lot more expensive - 200whatever + something

12 minutes ago, Vatiow said:

ANd if i buy the 960 now it will still be a lot more expensive - 200whatever + something

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€237.11 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€74.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€116.12 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€40.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€68.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  (€316.99 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (€78.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€98.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (€100.16 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1131.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 15:23 CEST+0200

I used German page for making the list, but it still should be well within your budget. Unless you need monitor too.

13 minutes ago, Vatiow said:

Don't need the 8gb vram

12 minutes ago, Vatiow said:

You say you don't need the 8GB of VRAM, but that's now. Are you going to upgrade your card immediately when Pascal releases, or going to wait? More and more games are taking up more VRAM, 8gb will last you longer, not to mention help the resale value later. And if a 960 is too expensive, why are you considering 970's?

Well if ur only playing games like dota 2 and csgo,I'd get all the parts of the system except the gpu and play on the integrated graphics till pascal comes out,im pretty sure the igpu can also run 2014 games on low settings 30fps and some 2015 games

2 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

You say you don't need the 8GB of VRAM, but that's now. Are you going to upgrade your card immediately when Pascal releases, or going to wait? More and more games are taking up more VRAM, 8gb will last you longer, not to mention help the resale value later. And if a 960 is too expensive, why are you considering 970's?

960 is like 200 and then the Pascal card is more than the 300 of the 970

1 minute ago, bluefire908 said:

Well if ur only playing games like dota 2 and csgo,I'd get all the parts of the system except the gpu and play on the integrated graphics till pascal comes out,im pretty sure the igpu can also run 2014 games on low settings 30fps and some 2015 games

How many fps will an i5 4690k get in CS:GO alone then?

4 minutes ago, Vatiow said:

How many fps will an i5 4690k get in CS:GO alone then?

Pretty much close to those.

But it would be better to buy Skylake 6600k instead of Haswell Refresh 4690k.

11 minutes ago, sapphirethunder said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€237.11 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€74.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€116.12 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€40.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€68.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  (€316.99 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (€78.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€98.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (€100.16 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1131.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 15:23 CEST+0200

I used German page for making the list, but it still should be well within your budget. Unless you need monitor too.

I'll consider that.

3 minutes ago, sapphirethunder said:

Pretty much close to those.

But it would be better to buy Skylake 6600k instead of Haswell Refresh 4690k.

Im just having a hard time finding an LGA 1151 Motherboard that isn't red ._.

Either a 390 or Pascal. The 970 is becoming less and less good as DX12 titles are showing increasingly worse results for it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, Vatiow said:

Im just having a hard time finding an LGA 1151 Motherboard that isn't red ._.

Or is looking better than the MSI krait