FREE Plex alternative

Go to solution Solved by r3bify,

if you have a desktop or laptop you can use for consuming and use google chrome, you can install the plex app for chrome and it's free. Alternatively, you can access the server via your web browser and stream for free, either with plex.tv (if you have remote access enabled) or over your local network by going to plex-server:32400/web

I made an account with Plex and synced all my content only to realize when I went to the app that I have to pay to view my own content!

Is there anything other than Plex that is COMPLETELY FREE. I know Linus did a video but all of those required a payment. I am using my W10 PC, My iPad and S5 so those devices should be compatible.

I don't want to pay at all!!

Thanks in advance.

Hello

Yeah, those developers should spend all their time and effort for free!

Just use a DLNA app. Plenty of free ones out there.

6 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Just use a DLNA app. Plenty of free ones out there.

Any recommendations. W10,IOS and Android compatiable

Hello

Just now, zMeul said:

Kodi, open source project

https://kodi.tv/download/

You have to be Jailbroken  to use the IOS version. Sadly there is no jailbreak yet :( Anything else?

Hello

30 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Any recommendations. W10,IOS and Android compatiable

Mediahouse. You'really probably going to end up having to use different apps for each system.

2 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

I made an account with Plex and synced all my content only to realize when I went to the app that I have to pay to view my own content!

Ya know, you make it sound like it's outrageous, but you want to view your own content with their software infrastructure that they developed.  A  lot of work went into that, if it was easy you would have coded it yourself.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ya know, you make it sound like it's outrageous, but you want to view your own content with their software infrastructure that they developed.  A  lot of work went into that, if it was easy you would have coded it yourself.

I know a lot of work went into it, but they should make it clear that you have to pay to activate a device when registering an account...I spent 2 hours uploading all my content and then when I go to my phone I have to pay for activation...That is what annoyed me!

Do you know of any free alternative or something?

Hello

1 minute ago, TAHIRMIA said:

I know a lot of work went into it, but they should make it clear that you have to pay to activate a device when registering an account...I spent 2 hours uploading all my content and then when I go to my phone I have to pay for activation...That is what annoyed me!

Do you know of any free alternative or something?

But the vast majority of Plex -is- free.  It's mostly just mobile sync for offline viewing of files on mobile without a current internet connection.  Theres some other features, but yeah, most of Plex doesn't require a premium subscription.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

But the vast majority of Plex -is- free.  It's mostly just mobile sync for offline viewing of files on mobile without a current internet connection.  Theres some other features, but yeah, most of Plex doesn't require a premium subscription.

But you have to pay like $5 activation per device...I am a student so don't have money to just spend on stuff i will only use like on weekends

Hello

if you have a desktop or laptop you can use for consuming and use google chrome, you can install the plex app for chrome and it's free. Alternatively, you can access the server via your web browser and stream for free, either with plex.tv (if you have remote access enabled) or over your local network by going to plex-server:32400/web

5 hours ago, r3bify said:

Sooo you only pay for the app? If I go use the chrome on my phone and set it to desktop mode I wouldn't have to pay?

I'm going to test it out Now!!:D

Hello