Lost packets

Tursiops

I have a Mac mini that I use as a plex server and I noticed that my transfer speed from my Mac to my nas is abysmal.

i first thought it might be my nas device, but even with a brand new nas me configuring the 4 wd red drives 2tb in raid 10 I don't get better results.

on good days I might have 20MB/s but on bad ones I will just have around 1MB/s when this happens I cannot even connect anymore remotely as this Mac doesn't have any screen or keyboard.

i checked my switch which is a Cisco sg200-18 and I noticed that the port that my Mac is connected on has some droped packets. 

Also I did a ping from my tablet to the Mac and it all ranges from good to very bad like 700ms on my internal network...

i don't really know what to do except change my Mac by something else, or maybe install another os on it as I mainly use for plex.

ive included a screen shot of my Cisco diagnostic screen where you can see the dropped packets.

thank you for your help.

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, Majestic said:

Start with the basics....try swapping the UTP..

Ok when I woke up the Mac had crash so I had to login again. 

'After that strangely enough everything worked perfectly with a transfer speed of 90 to 100MB/s

now around 3h later it started to act funny again by not letting me remote to it.

it all looks like a problem with my Mac right?

thanks

Probably the MAC. I had a few issues ages ago with my SG300 being powered on for very long times without a reboot and then I'd get high network latency. Proper fix was a firmware update.

If it's just the MAC having the issue then it is unlikely to be the switch.

47 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Probably the MAC. I had a few issues ages ago with my SG300 being powered on for very long times without a reboot and then I'd get high network latency. Proper fix was a firmware update.

If it's just the MAC having the issue then it is unlikely to be the switch.

I saw there was a new firmware for my sg200 I will install it and see if it makes any difference.

5 hours ago, Tursiops said:

I saw there was a new firmware for my sg200 I will install it and see if it makes any difference.

Ok I removed the boinc program and my Mac doesn't crash anymore. Problem solved!