2 free computers I got

Ok so today I got 2 computers one Acer AMD x2 64 machine and one old ancient 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 that looks like its been upgraded over the years and has 2gb of ram, and a crap ton of expansion cards I'm going to put 64 bit Linux on the AMD machine and then probably going to just use it for a fun toy machine to mess around with Linux but I don't know what to do with the early 2000s style computer as its got no OS, the cmos battery seems dead, and its not recognizing any Linux boot flash drives or DVDs

WIN_20160407_22_38_32_Pro.jpg

and yes I know the image quality is junk that's because i used my junky 640x480 res webcam that I got for really really cheap

You could actually use an Athlon 64 x2 for a basic computer for browsing the internet and word documents, a Pentium 4 is useless not matter how high end it is.

The easiest thing to do is either make a key chain with the cpu or take the drive out and use an ide to sata or usb adapter to install an OS. I had a 2001 pentium 4 with 1gb ram and I tried debian, damn small, and a few others, its not worth it, you get more from a pi. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You could actually use an Athlon 64 x2 for a basic computer for browsing the internet and word documents, a Pentium 4 is useless not matter how high end it is.

Yah thats why I'm shoving a low end gpu that I had laying arround with a few expansion cards from the Pentium 4 machine like a 4port usb 2.0 card, and a wifi card in there so the Athlon 64 x2 machine can still be used whenever I might need it

On 4/8/2016 at 1:07 PM, SuperShermanTanker said:

Yah thats why I'm shoving a low end gpu that I had laying arround with a few expansion cards from the Pentium 4 machine like a 4port usb 2.0 card, and a wifi card in there so the Athlon 64 x2 machine can still be used whenever I might need it

Is the Pentium 4 a Northwood 1.8A?

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Is the Pentium 4 a Northwood 1.8A?

I have no idea I would have to tare apart the machine to find the exact processor I can try looking for it in the bios but I don't know if I'll be able to find it in the bios

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Honestly, I'd keep one on xp or whatever just to play DOS games without problems.

the only windows xp thing I have is for the AMD machine and its the version before service pack 1 and it wont let me put on service pack 3 so I'm just going to put my favorite distrobution of linux on it

On 4/8/2016 at 1:13 PM, SuperShermanTanker said:

the only windows xp thing I have is for the AMD machine and its the version before service pack 1 and it wont let me put on service pack 3 so I'm just going to put my favorite distrobution of linux on it

You have to update to Windows XP SP2 before you can upgrade to XP SP3.

I wonder if you can use the pentium for steam in home streaming client. I think that the requirements are pretty low. 

2 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

I wonder if you can use the pentium for steam in home streaming client. I think that the requirements are pretty low. 

I'm pretty sure the P4 is not powerful enough to manage the stream, I have a few P4 at 3GHz here, and they even studder trying to play a video from youtube.  An HD stream would kill them.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

4 hours ago, Sors said:

I'm pretty sure the P4 is not powerful enough to manage the stream, I have a few P4 at 3GHz here, and they even studder trying to play a video from youtube.  An HD stream would kill them.

That bad huh. Well I guess  it's not even as powerful as an android stick. Maybe you can use it as a nightstand. The cd drive can be moded into a cup holder.