which mic?

Cvdasfg
Go to solution Solved by Philosobyte,
12 hours ago, Cvdasfg said:

What makes XLR better then the usb mic?

XLR microphones are not inherently better than USB microphones, but they often are better because of price range differences. 

XLR microphones transmit an analog signal through an XLR cable. That signal has to be amplified by a preamp and converted by analog to digital converters (A/D converters) into a digital signal which the computer can understand. 

USB microphones have a preamp and A/D converters built in. That's why they can output their data in a digital USB format. 

The implications of this are that USB microphones are limited by the quality of their internal preamp and A/D converters, while XLR microphones don't have that bottleneck - with XLR microphones, you choose which preamps and converters to use and you can upgrade them later. 

Since XLR microphones are usually paired with good preamps and converters, such as in a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Steinberg UR22 audio interface, they tend to have better sound than USB mics which are usually paired with lesser preamps/converters. 

This also means that when you buy an XLR microphone, you'll have to factor in the price of an audio interface and an XLR cable. Good audio interfaces start at around $100 (Mackie Blackjack) and you can get good XLR cables from Monoprice. 

If both were the same price which would be better?

The blue yeti pro, or the cad gxl3000bp

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Of course the cad gxl3000bp would be better, as it's an XLR microphone and can be hooked up to a mixer for overall better sound quality, but note, the difference between these two is that the Blue Yeti Pro is indeed a USB mic and the cad is an XLR. In my opinion, the cad mic would give you overall much better results, but if you don't have a mixer and what not, I'd go for the Yeti. 

7 hours ago, CaptainApparition said:

Of course the cad gxl3000bp would be better, as it's an XLR microphone and can be hooked up to a mixer for overall better sound quality, but note, the difference between these two is that the Blue Yeti Pro is indeed a USB mic and the cad is an XLR. In my opinion, the cad mic would give you overall much better results, but if you don't have a mixer and what not, I'd go for the Yeti. 

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

12 hours ago, Cvdasfg said:

XLR microphones are not inherently better than USB microphones, but they often are better because of price range differences. 

XLR microphones transmit an analog signal through an XLR cable. That signal has to be amplified by a preamp and converted by analog to digital converters (A/D converters) into a digital signal which the computer can understand. 

USB microphones have a preamp and A/D converters built in. That's why they can output their data in a digital USB format. 

The implications of this are that USB microphones are limited by the quality of their internal preamp and A/D converters, while XLR microphones don't have that bottleneck - with XLR microphones, you choose which preamps and converters to use and you can upgrade them later. 

Since XLR microphones are usually paired with good preamps and converters, such as in a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Steinberg UR22 audio interface, they tend to have better sound than USB mics which are usually paired with lesser preamps/converters. 

This also means that when you buy an XLR microphone, you'll have to factor in the price of an audio interface and an XLR cable. Good audio interfaces start at around $100 (Mackie Blackjack) and you can get good XLR cables from Monoprice. 

22 hours ago, Philosobyte said:

Thank you very much! That is super helpful.