Taking a beating from ubuntu

Hey guys, so, i started using ubuntu today, after a lot of struggle to install (for some reason the uefi installation didn't work) i finally installed it and i have some very basic questions:

1- HOW THE HECK DO I INSTALL DRIVERS? i followed guides on how to install amd crimson for my 280x and it broke the os, i had to re-install.

2-chrome, steam and other applications are not installing, how do i do that?

i guess that are all my questions,i'm enjoying it so far, just really hard for beginners

Learn Terminal.

2 minutes ago, Igor Perrotta said:

Hey guys, so, i started using ubuntu today, after a lot of struggle to install (for some reason the uefi installation didn't work) i finally installed it and i have some very basic questions:

1- HOW THE HECK DO I INSTALL DRIVERS? i followed guides on how to install amd crimson for my 280x and it broke the os, i had to re-install.

i guess that are all my questions,i'm enjoying it so far, just really hard for beginners

can't install anything you would normally install on windows on linux.  Google how to install amd drivers, the amd official one might work, but the official one for nvidia might not, so just search around and follow a guide (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-linux-beta-driver.aspx)

for chrome and steam, if you just gooogle "chrome download" google has a version for linux, same with steam, but you have to google steam for linux.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

There are articles already written about this that can help you step-by-step

but

sudo apt-get install "package"

will typically install most things

sudo is admin premission 

apt-get is for apps so to speak

install duh

and the package varies by program or need

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

can't install anything you would normally install on windows on linux.  Google how to install amd drivers, the amd official one might work, but the official one for nvidia might not, so just search around and follow a guide (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-linux-beta-driver.aspx)

for chrome and steam, if you just gooogle "chrome download" google has a version for linux, same with steam, but you have to google steam for linux.

Chromium is the official linux flavor of chrome and has apt-get packages

I think steam has a linux package readily on the site but you need playonlinux and wine to game more

Actually alot of windows programs have Linux versions, you may be surprised

as for the drivers just do as he said, you may need wine and a kernel mod at some point so get ready for bash shell, I had to use a method like that to run a few wireless adapters,

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, RedWulf said:

Chromium is the official linux flavor of chrome and has apt-get packages

I think steam has a linux package readily on the site but you need playonlinux and wine to game more

Actually alot of windows programs have Linux versions, you may be surprised

as for the drivers just do as he said, you may need wine and a kernel mod at some point so get ready for bash shell, I had to use a method like that to run a few wireless adapters,

google has a google chrome for linux that isn't chromium, just go on their download page

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

I'm having issues on my usb wifi adapter, it's getting almost no signal, on windows it had full signal, weird...

If you're new, I recommend sticking to the "Software Store" or whatever they are calling it now for the time being. It pulls software from the Ubuntu Repositories. As for your drivers, if you really want the proprietary ones, Try using the driver installer utility in your settings first.

1 minute ago, Igor Perrotta said:

I'm having issues on my usb wifi adapter, it's getting almost no signal, on windows it had full signal, weird...

Wireless adapters are usually the biggest hassle. Particularly USB based ones. There are ways to get them working but you'll need to consult the googlesphere for those.

Like, is there any difference from using amd proprietary one and the one that it automatically choses?

Just now, Igor Perrotta said:

Like, is there any difference from using amd proprietary one and the one that it automatically choses?

Yes the open source ones are not optimized for gaming at all. For the full effect, you will need to go proprietary.

Just a heads up for chrome, you can download the office chrome.deb file from the chrome site. Since its a deb you can also double click to install. Also for drivers try going to settings > drivers >additional drivers and wait for the page to load/pull compatible drivers it found. Unless you have already solved your driver problem. Then select the driver you want to apply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

I finnaly isntalled amd drivers, the newest one and it was quite simple,thanks for all the help, the first guide that i followed was extremely wrong!

On 7/4/2016 at 1:15 AM, Igor Perrotta said:

1. In Ubuntu, search "Additional Driver" and select the drivers needed, if it's not there. Search the drivers online.

2. Search it in Ubuntu Software Center or use Terminal, easier way would be either Ubuntu Software Center or searching the web for the software.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold