Sabertooth Z87 Cooling

Alright guys so I am working on overclocking my 4770k. I can get to 5 GHz on air with temps below 85 degrees. However system still crahses at high load, so I am assuming my VRM/MOSFETs are overheating. I currently don't have the mini fans installed to cool the thermal armor, but i doubt it will mkae a big difference. Can anyone confirm  that? 

Any chance I can watercool them?

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

No, i'm just assuming that you are setting a goal way to high for haswell.

Very few people even get 5ghz with watercooling. (stable at least.)

This isnt how overclocking works, you didnt mention what voltage youre using, and all that. the VRM isnt usually the thing causing the instability but having less voltage or just a bad oc chip

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I never ran the Sabertooth without the fans so I couldn't tell you.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

why do u need more than 4.6~4.8 which is stable  in which case scenario will u be needing those extra GHzZ ? :D  and no it's not the mobo it's the CPU haswell is made for power consumption more than for overclocking u need watercooling to be around 5GHZ stable :D go back to 4.5~4.6 u won't feel the performance difference really :D

I know how ocing works ;) 

Admitedly the Vcore was a little low at 1.325V. I suppose I could try it with higher ones. I will have to wait till night though, so my ambient temps are below 15 degrees :D 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

why do u need more than 4.6~4.8 which is stable  in which case scenario will u be needing those extra GHzZ ? :D  and no it's not the mobo it's the CPU haswell is made for power consumption more than for overclocking u need watercooling to be around 5GHZ stable :D go back to 4.5~4.6 u won't feel the performance difference really :D

I am doing it soley to find the limit. I am rendering large files at a regualr basis, so I do actually benefit more from Overclocking than the average consumer. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

If you go over 4.8 - 4.9 GHz you are seriously shortening the life span of your Haswell chip especially at those high temps... The sole fact that you are going to wait for your ambient temps to lower shows that you don't understand overclocking as much as  you think. The point of doing a stability test is to see if your system is stable in the worst case scenario (closed up case, high ambient temps etc). Somehow cheating it will be on you mate. Your system might crash while handling those huge files of yours and may corrupt them so... Please rethink your strategy towards this for your sake.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

5ghz is a very high overclock even with ivy and sandy that is hard to pull off. Im not very suprised.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

maybe you are right, Analog. This is my first chip that I am OCing. I just really enjoyed spending hours tweaking my system to get a couple more points in RealBench. The guys over at ROG guided me to find my Systems limits and that was a great experence. Now that I found it, I am a bit sad that it is all over. I spent a lot of time the last couple days how to take it to the next level. Maybe I should just admit defeat and focus on more important things, maybe spend the money on a 1440p monitor or a PS4. I have always been one to buy the latest and greatest just so i can say I have it. 

Thanks for the wake-up call! 

Sorry if this got a bit weird ^^

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs