i7 necessary for VR?

30 minutes ago, Raspharus said:

I'd rather be skeptical. Even if it does become a huge part of gaming, I will still use a monitor nevertheless due to eyesight problems.

VR will be standart some day. Its just too awesome. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

VR will be standart some day. Its just too awesome. 

I understand your enthusiasm, but monitors are still gonna be usable more or less, and this is PC we are talking about. There will surely be a way to still use a monitor, despite the technical limitations(just how now you can use vga to hdmi converters and such)

I cant ride on the hype train for VR because of my eyesight. I need to wear glasses constantly, and afaik the vr sets cant tolerate glasses due to the space around them. Even so, I wouldn't like one because it could damage my eyesight even further.

I really really doubt that the eye strain is 0 with the VR gear. People weren't talking in the 80's about the risks of standing at a desk on a bad position, and back problems, but sooner or later they realised that those issues are there. 

12 minutes ago, Raspharus said:

I understand your enthusiasm, but monitors are still gonna be usable more or less, and this is PC we are talking about. There will surely be a way to still use a monitor, despite the technical limitations(just how now you can use vga to hdmi converters and such)

I cant ride on the hype train for VR because of my eyesight. I need to wear glasses constantly, and afaik the vr sets cant tolerate glasses due to the space around them. Even so, I wouldn't like one because it could damage my eyesight even further.

I really really doubt that the eye strain is 0 with the VR gear. People weren't talking in the 80's about the risks of standing at a desk on a bad position, and back problems, but sooner or later they realised that those issues are there. 

Displays are no Danger for Health like they were in the 80's. Of Course Monitors will stay around. But Gaming will be switch to a large amount to VR some Day.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

12 hours ago, Raspharus said:

I'd rather be skeptical. Even if it does become a huge part of gaming, I will still use a monitor nevertheless due to eyesight problems.

A huge part of gaming? VR is on track to become a part of everyday life. (give it like 10 years)

I did the Steam VR test and found my machine barely hit ready with an i3-2100 (and  560 Ti). But this kind of question is answered by benchmarks, rather than anecdotes.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

19 hours ago, Raspharus said:

if you had lensed with your prescription lenses would you try it?

i understand if you wouldn't but this sounds interesting (as i too wear glasses but do not need to all the time).

I also agree with you VR will not take over the traditional monitor.

Returning after 8 years dormant

On 07/04/2016 at 7:06 AM, Maverick5500 said:

hey all

i know games do not need more than 4 threads, just wondering with all the extra stuff going on will an i7 become necessary for a vr gaming experience?

and i know the minimum spec is an i5

Maverick

No, not really.

An i5 4690k or a FX 8320 is plenty.