noob internet help

Jskn

I don't have a wireless adapter for my mobo yet, and I don't think it has wireless capabilities, so would an Ethernet port out of the wall work for installing windows, and other stuff like internet surfing?

using an Ethernet port is the preferred way of connecting to the internet, and is the fastest.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

using an Ethernet port is the preferred way of connecting to the internet, and is the fastest.

So in my back room, I can just plug my computer's Ethernet cable into the wall socket, and wala?

Assuming the wall outlet is an RJ-45 connection and is online then yes, that will work better than wireless.

-KuJoe

Just now, Jskn said:

So in my back room, I can just plug my computer's Ethernet cable into the wall socket, and wala?

if its an RJ-45 port and not a telephone port or something, and the port is correctly wired up, it will work.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

could you take a picture of the port on the wall?

RJ11 and RJ45 have different width

and RJ11 will not accept a RJ45 lan jack

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

9 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

could you take a picture of the port on the wall?

RJ11 and RJ45 have different width

and RJ11 will not accept a RJ45 lan jack

Mind if I get a pic sometime tomorrow?

1 minute ago, Jskn said:

Mind if I get a pic sometime tomorrow?

sure take you time

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

You always have the option of buying a USB wireless network connector. I have a Linksys one that I use for my desktop when I'm away from home and it works well. I just wouldn't recommend them for anything that requires an extremely stable and heavy usage connection like online gaming. But for surfing and such they're an easy fix.