Cisco access point or wifi card?

redbaron28

Hi, I need some help on what way i should go with my new custom pfsense router.  I am buying a HP Dl380G5 dual quad core cpus and 4gb ram (I know its REALLY overkill but 80 wasn't bad lol) to host pfsense but i am not sure if i should keep my access point or buy a nice wifi card and put that in the server to keep everything together. The access point is a Cisco WAP4410N.

Thank you for reading/commenting! 

CPU: I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz Memery: 16GB HyperX DDR4 GPU: GTX TITAN X OC MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 6 SSD: 1-Kingston 120Gb    1-PNY 240GB HDD: 1-WD 1T, 1-Seagate 750GB CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: Corsair 760T White Edition

never (or until they improve it) use the access point functionality of pfsense as it barely supports N and is really all round bad.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

1 hour ago, JaredM54 said:

I would recommend against using that server as a router. But if you don't care about a router that uses more power than my pc then to answer your question I would get an access point, but not one from Cisco. Look at Ubiquiti's AC line, to me they make more sense for home use.

I have a 42u rack full of my game servers so idc about power at all(As my 15 server use 1200w psu's)

56 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

never (or until they improve it) use the access point functionality of pfsense as it barely supports N and is really all round bad.

Thx mccraftax. I have a nice cisco so ill just keep that with me

Thanks guys that commented!

CPU: I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz Memery: 16GB HyperX DDR4 GPU: GTX TITAN X OC MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 6 SSD: 1-Kingston 120Gb    1-PNY 240GB HDD: 1-WD 1T, 1-Seagate 750GB CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: Corsair 760T White Edition