Samsung 850 EVO vs Samsung 950 Pro

jhzondervan

Hey guys!

Im on the market for a new PC and this is the build im looking at:
https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
Now In this setup i have a 850 EVO 500GB, but someone adviced me to go for a 950 PRO 250GB. On paper it seems to be a LOT faster, but will u notice it while you work? is it worth it? since its more expensive for a smaller disk

The thing I want to use this PC for is 3D animation.

Thanks a lot!

PS. A little off topic, But maybe someone here will know something about it I'm not sure about the motherboard.. MSI X99A Gaming 7 or ASUS X99-A USB3.1 maybe someone has some advice! :D

What are you doing with the PC out of curiosity? I take it by the lack of GPU and AMD 8 core its some kind of server or computational station?

If this is the case it depends on the workload, in storage intensive loads such as RAW video editing you will most likely notice a difference in the amount of time it takes loading files to RAM, if its a less than memory intensive work like small server or office work then imo a larger EVO will be more than sufficient.

It depends entirely on your usage scenario, for normal usage I would recommend the EVO though, if you KNOW you need the high data throughput they you will KNOW that you need to spend more on the PRO or PCie drive.

Also the motherboard, its the same X99 chipset so internally bar some potential build quality differences (people can debate ASUS vs MSI vs Gigabyte vs ASrock until the end of time) it will be essentially the same. The only real difference you will most likely experience is outputs such as USB ports, PCI slots etc etc. Again entirely reliant on your usage and needs.

Edited by CtrlAltELITE
Motherboard info

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Okay, so I'd upgrade to a noctua nh d-15 and lower the PSU. For a single and double GPU configuration you won't need 1000w. For 1 card 650w (Evga SuperNOVA G2/P2) is enough, and for 2 about 850-900 (Evga SuperNOVA/Corsair RM/RMi/AXi). Good luck!

well since I'm using the system mainly for 3D animation (what also involves video editing) does this make it worth it? or only if we're talking hours of film footage to edit

2 minutes ago, jhzondervan said:

completly my bad! I'm an idiot!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZtzpdC

here you go xD

Haha yeah I read that in your post after I wrote the post of "3d animation" I figured you would need a GPU. My point still stands though, ive never done 3D animation but imo the difference between the evo and the pro in real world standards depends on the size of file you are working with and the frequency it is being loaded to and from RAM.

MASSIVE ~30gb raw video files? Frequent loading and unloading during editing? You WILL notice a difference.

Piddly little ~500mb model files? Loaded once and worked on for an hour then saved back to storage? Evo will more than suffice.

Also probably a good second or two in boot time with win10 if that matters to you xD.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

2 minutes ago, jhzondervan said:

well since I'm using the system mainly for 3D animation (what also involves video editing) does this make it worth it? or only if we're talking hours of film footage to edit

I use Blender for 3d modelling and i have no trouble with the 850 evo (some trouble is that it's 250gb) but the speed is perfect. Now u might have some huge standards but in a real world consumer scenario the 850 evo is perfectlyy fine.

great advice everyone! i think I'll stick with the 850! thanks a ton!

btw Zeinone. the PSU i put in was so i can run SLI later down the line when i would have money for a 2nd card and wont have to replace the PSU.

why would u recomend the 

noctua nh d-15

over the  Noctua NH-U14S  what will it realy gain me? :)

1 minute ago, jhzondervan said:

great advice everyone! i think I'll stick with the 850! thanks a ton!

btw Zeinone. the PSU i put in was so i can run SLI later down the line when i would have money for a 2nd card and wont have to replace the PSU.

why would u recomend the  noctua nh d-15 over the  Noctua NH-U14S  what will it realy gain me? :)

They are both top air coolers, no doubt, but i assume you're gonna overclock your CPU so the nh-d15 will provide more stability and peace in mind than the u14s. If you're gonna stick with 3.3GHz or with the boost of 3.6 (i think) then the u14s is the cooler to go, if not d15.

great d15 it will be! espacialy since I really want to overclock it but NEVER ever did it xD so the more peace of mind the better <3

U guys rock!