Help!!! New Skylake Build

Greetings everyone

I've been asking this question every time and every time I'm getting the same answer, 6700. But I'm not able to convince myself. Is it worth spending $100 for 8% more workstation performance *refer link*

I'm asking this question again and again because i don't like the idea of spending my money for no solid reason.

Will there be any real time difference in the performance of these two builds?

Thank you.

Keep it simple.

Remember, you'll want to future proof it as much as possible as well so that you dont need to upgrade until later on.

Spoiler

My system specs: Intel Core i5 8600K (5ghz Overclocked) CPU - ASUS Strix Z370-I Motherboard - Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition GPU 

Corsair H55 Water Cooler - 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM

"People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do" - Steve Jobs, 1955-2011.

Well that's a valid point.

May be I'm being a little impatient.

Keep it simple.

1 hour ago, robotprobot said:

Remember, you'll want to future proof it as much as possible as well so that you dont need to upgrade until later on.

You don´t necessarily want to future proof, more over just make sure that what you get isn´t straight up obsolete so you aren´t upgrading in like a year.

1 hour ago, titaniumshield said:

Greetings everyone

I've been asking this question every time and every time I'm getting the same answer, 6700. But I'm not able to convince myself. Is it worth spending $100 for 8% more workstation performance *refer link*

I'm asking this question again and again because i don't like the idea of spending my money for no solid reason.

Will there be any real time difference in the performance of these two builds?

Thank you.

I believe so, but what´s your overall budget anyway?

On 4/6/2016 at 4:57 PM, Starelementpoke said:

I believe so, but what´s your overall budget anyway?

It's actually not about the budget, i already bought the motherboard GA-H170 gaming 3 and 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4. My main concern is how much will i get by spending whatever may be the price. Be it the i5 or i7. I want to go for i7 but that $100 more for only hyperthreading, doesn't seem so justified in my perspective. I need a strong point so that the $100 won't pinch me so much.

Keep it simple.

59 minutes ago, titaniumshield said:

It's actually not about the budget, i already bought the motherboard GA-H170 gaming 3 and 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4. My main concern is how much will i get by spending whatever may be the price. Be it the i5 or i7. I want to go for i7 but that $100 more for only hyperthreading, doesn't seem so justified in my perspective. I need a strong point so that the $100 won't pinch me so much.

Well, DX12 is supposedly suppose to take advantage of more cores/threads, so that might be worth it. Then again, I´m not so sure if that´s been confirmed, so its on you.

7 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Well, DX12 is supposedly suppose to take advantage of more cores/threads, so that might be worth it. Then again, I´m not so sure if that´s been confirmed, so its on you.

I think price drop will change my mind and give me some relief...

Keep it simple.

If it gonna be workstation get the i7 its stronger and better than the i5 and will hands easily multi tasking...

On 4/8/2016 at 10:44 AM, TITANB said:

If it gonna be workstation get the i7 its stronger and better than the i5 and will hands easily multi tasking...

Yea, it's going to be a workstation or something as close to it as possible. 

I think I'll get the i7 now.

Thanks a lot.

Keep it simple.

Honestly, I wouldn't. I'd get the i5-6500 and make sure your editing/rendering programs support GPU acceleration. That makes a HUGE difference. More of a difference than the hyper threading. If every program you're using supports GPU acceleration (openCL or Cuda) and has good results and not some half ass implementation, then save your money.

One other option to consider would be this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($252.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock E3V5 Performance Gaming/OC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $383.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 14:03 EDT-0400

or this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $279.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 14:04 EDT-0400

The first is Skylake, which requires a server chipset so an expensive motherboard, but you still save a few bucks over the i7-6700. The second is haswell which can be run on regular consumer chipsets, but if memory speeds are crucial that motherboard only supports up to 1600 MHz memory. Neither CPU has an integrated GPU, which is why they aren't marketed towards consumers and cost less. However you'll have a GPU for accelerated rendering anyway, so it's no loss.

You clearly don't want to spend the money, so don't.